• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#1 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 03:51 AM

I really hope this doesn't earn me any points but, I feel like this site is close knit and I really value the input of everyone here. That said, who on here works for a company that just doesn't care about any thing but the bottom line. I have 21 years in a plant that has done nothing but down size the last 10 years, adding more work to the employees that stay. I am NOT afraid to work and I am not crying but our CEO just gave herself a 15 million dollar a year pay raise. I live in the number one county in New York for population decline of the working age people. I have worked the last 4 and a half years with out a pay raise and live in an area that has flooding in 2006 and 2008 witch a lot of people never recovered from and left. The tax base is smaller so our taxes are crazy.it wouldn't be so bad if the company I worked fo didn't get such huge tax breaks for being here. It's almost like paying to go to work. I am very thankful to have a job and would never have it any other way but when is enough, enough... our site has just won a national award for service nationally and we were told that it has no monetary value......... lmao...... Like I said I am thankful to have a job but I can't wait for the next 9 years to pass so I can get. the heck out of this dump. Sorry for the rant I know their are a lot of people out of work,and I am thankful to have a job but when is it OK to treat folks like crap just because you can...? I wasn't raised that way and don't follow the logic in running a company that way.I truly hope not to p.o. anyone nor am I looking for sympathy but hoping to get a feel how the rest of the nation is doing. Can thing's be this bad all over.? If so god help us all

L
  • daytime dave, Alc, jms180 and 13 others have said thanks

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,631 Thanks
  • 3,922 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 04:16 AM

I'm afraid that is the trend and it will continue to be.  As long as the stock holders make a good return on their investment everything is good.  Employees have become expendable.  Long termers are too expensive to keep around with their wages higher than a new flunkie fresh off the street.  Also, older workers have more health issues so with a younger work force bids for company health insurance is cheaper. 

• daytime dave, grnspot110, Alc and 9 others have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,806 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 05:14 AM

It is free enterprise at its most basic and coarsest level. It is not too different from 150 years ago. Mill and mine owners lived very well and the workers were not much better than slaves(the company store made sure of that). It only got better when unions and federal laws forced them to treat workers better. Many companies got real good after WWII but after the veteran owners retired things started to go down hill.

Some politicians are calling for a return to letting the companies regulate themselves. Most of these are a myth. Even Wall Street has had to be bailled out by the Federal government every 20 years or so since it began over 200 years. There is constantly scams running on the financial markets. In the 80s it was junk bonds. In the 90s and 2000s it was rediculous mortgages but I don't know what they are doing now. We are on an economical rollercoaster ride. All we can do is hold on and try to get alittle ahead.

Burning wood, growing a garden, a small hobby/side business can all help. Sometimes you may have to read the writing on the wall and bail from the sinking ship before it is too late. Just besure that you aren't going to another sinking ship. Good Luck to all of us, Rick
  • daytime dave, Gtractor, hamman and 9 others have said thanks

#4 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,666 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 05:24 AM

As another dead-ender in WNY I concur that the bottom line is the most important thing to the bosses nowadays.  23 years in a once-great american company and now it is a ghost-town with buildings being sold or demolished all around us..  The CEO did net a tidy sum but the peons got a job- be happy that you do!  It's amazing anyone can afford to do business at all in this taxation leading state we live in..  I could go on but the subject is taboo..

• Bolens 1000, daytime dave, Gtractor and 8 others have said thanks

#5 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 05:34 AM

From experiences and other examples people can't work for the same company forever anymore. You will never get ahead. Changing companies is not bad and I think many people feel obligation or guilt if they move on. If you are good at what you do you will find a job regardless of the economy.
  • daytime dave, Gtractor, Alc and 9 others have said thanks

#6 Coventry Plumber ONLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 06:00 AM

I hear ya. If I were CEO I would have divided up the $15 million equally to the employees . In result a happy work force would benefit the company and prove to show greater results that a greedy pay raise for the top dog. That's probally why I'm not a CEO ( and some other reasons too). Nothing wrong with venting , it's surprising how many people are thinking the same thing I find.

Tom
  • daytime dave, Gtractor, Alc and 6 others have said thanks

#7 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,718 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 06:29 AM

its a global econcomy, I certainly feel that we have it all screwed up, we are going back to the old days, rich and poor , no middle class. why pay a living wage here when you can get a 8 year old kid in some other down trodden country make your $250 running shoes for $2 rather than the $5 it would cost here, if you think the people run the country your mistaken, big business does along with your $15 mill a year ceo's. they should tax the he## out of them just for the jobs they remove from a country,  a simple equation 50% of your work force in another country 50% tax, I am not an American but my company was bought up, they did not want the company, just the contracts. and in 5 years the work force went down from 3000 to 150

• daytime dave, Gtractor, hamman and 7 others have said thanks

#8 karl OFFLINE  

karl
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,065 Thanks
  • 788 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 06:43 AM

when the populas is disinterested in the workings of their government.who is to blame?when trade deals get passed without notice, everyone knows more about sports than what is going on in their government. all the factorys went to china. and the rober barrons are alive and well.and your government has given them full power to do as they wish.and nobody saw it coming?

• daytime dave, Bruce Dorsi, hamman and 6 others have said thanks

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,334 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 06:47 AM

In this current down turn, the employees are purportedly easy to find and any new one is willing to do with a little less than the old one. That makes pay raise negotiations a little difficult.
At some point, hopefully some leadership with different direction in mind will allow for more business growth/more jobs/fewer replacements/more prosperity/pay raises. I want my boss to do well and recognize that when the business improves, I hope they make it right. I don't believe they will do it because its "right" or "moral" but because as business improves, so should my chances of finding a better job and they want to keep me.

As for the boss sized bonuses, it fries my backside too, but it's probably part of their contract.
In a perfect world, the boss would find some way to thank those who kept the business running, but that's not going to happen.
If the business was to not give the bonus, they would have court costs, eventually have to pay anyways, plus additional monies for pain and suffering. After all, a guy has to eat... Caviar.
  • daytime dave, Gtractor, hamman and 5 others have said thanks

#10 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 06:59 AM

when the populas is disinterested in the workings of their government.who is to blame?when trade deals get passed without notice, everyone knows more about sports than what is going on in their government. all the factorys went to china. and the rober barrons are alive and well.and your government has given them full power to do as they wish.and nobody saw it coming?

.....but there is no way that will affect me. The vast majority go through life with blinders on.

• daytime dave, Gtractor, hamman and 4 others have said thanks

#11 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,319 Thanks
  • 1,112 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 07:01 AM

I really hope this doesn't earn me any points but, I feel like this site is close knit and I really value the input of everyone here. That said, who on here works for a company that just doesn't care about any thing but the bottom line. I have 21 years in a plant that has done nothing but down size the last 10 years, adding more work to the employees that stay. I am NOT afraid to work and I am not crying but our CEO just gave herself a 15 million dollar a year pay raise. I live in the number one county in New York for population decline of the working age people. I have worked the last 4 and a half years with out a pay raise and live in an area that has flooding in 2006 and 2008 witch a lot of people never recovered from and left. The tax base is smaller so our taxes are crazy.it wouldn't be so bad if the company I worked fo didn't get such huge tax breaks for being here. It's almost like paying to go to work. I am very thankful to have a job and would never have it any other way but when is enough, enough... our site has just won a national award for service nationally and we were told that it has no monetary value......... lmao...... Like I said I am thankful to have a job but I can't wait for the next 9 years to pass so I can get. the heck out of this dump. Sorry for the rant I know their are a lot of people out of work,and I am thankful to have a job but when is it OK to treat folks like crap just because you can...? I wasn't raised that way and don't follow the logic in running a company that way.I truly hope not to p.o. anyone nor am I looking for sympathy but hoping to get a feel how the rest of the nation is doing. Can thing's be this bad all over.? If so god help us all

L

I feel your pain! In the last 5 years I have gotten one 2% raise, that was a month ago. The company I work for seems to raise their costs every year, but the worker gets nothing, and the uppers are promoted all the time.  If you factor in the fact that my cost of health insurance goes up EVERY year, groceries go up EVERY year, taxes go up EVERY year, the kids driving cars and the costs related to that, I could go on and on and on, I didn't get a raise, I'm slowly loosing money like a leaky faucet. But it's not just me, it's you, and every other hard working blue collar individual around the world that's being drained slowly until you either die before retirement, or you retire and find out that you have to still find some other supplemental income to help out.

Most of the problem was developed when America decided to start moving company's overseas, and when that  didn't work, we just out sourced it (China, Mexico, Taiwan and so forth). Our government doesn't give a rats a$$ about us, WE (the workers) should have seen this coming. Are there ways to correct it, sure, but would be another topic!! LOL

Hang in there brother, I think the same thoughts as you every single day when I'm at work just praying something will turn around, and until it does, I just bite my tongue just so I don't end up in the soup line too!!   

Edited by stiemmy, April 11, 2015 - 07:04 AM.

#12 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 927 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 07:29 AM

Its that way country wide. My wife works for a well known large company for 18 years. The older worker are getting notices and new college hires are taking their jobs at lower wages and reduced benefits. Some employees with over 20 years have received notices. Go figure its not right but seems to be the American way for the work force in todays world. Seems like the days are gone when you could work for a company until retirement. 

#13 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 07:40 AM

Its that way country wide. My wife works for a well known large company for 18 years. The older worker are getting notices and new college hires are taking their jobs at lower wages and reduced benefits. Some employees with over 20 years have received notices. Go figure its not right but seems to be the American way for the work force in todays world. Seems like the days are gone when you could work for a company until retirement. 

Don't get me started.

• hamman, boyscout862 and T Guiles have said thanks

#14 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,806 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 07:45 AM

its a global econcomy, I certainly feel that we have it all screwed up, we are going back to the old days, rich and poor , no middle class. why pay a living wage here when you can get a 8 year old kid in some other down trodden country make your $250 running shoes for $2 rather than the $5 it would cost here, if you think the people run the country your mistaken, big business does along with your $15 mill a year ceo's. they should tax the he## out of them just for the jobs they remove from a country,  a simple equation 50% of your work force in another country 50% tax, I am not an American but my company was bought up, they did not want the company, just the contracts. and in 5 years the work force went down from 3000 to 150

Correction: Canada is part of North America so, you are Americans.

• hamman, oldedeeres and T Guiles have said thanks

#15 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,806 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 07:53 AM

If you think it is bad now, just wait until after the next election. It does not matter which politicians win, we, the taxpayers will lose. I'm glad I'm retired. Everybody just keep doing your best. Good Luck, Rick

• daytime dave, hamman, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks