Posted April 10, 2015 - 09:16 PM

how much is okay and what is the fix ? mines about 3/8

#2 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,462 Thanks
  • 1,608 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 09:42 PM

You should really check to see if there is any up and down movement in the input shaft or side to side play in the output shaft.There are needle bearings and roller bearings inside, and when they wear, they can cause play.The gears are keyed to the shafts with woodruff keys and there can be play in these. There should be almost no play in an excellent condition BGB. If you rebuild it soon, it will last a very long time, and rebuilding them is pretty easy.
  • boyscout862 and alec have said thanks

#3 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • Member No: 61353
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 10:13 PM

thanks classic . do you have any suggestions on where to start ? does the repair manual cover that ?

• classic said thank you

#4 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,462 Thanks
  • 1,608 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 10:24 PM

Here is a pic of the gears, shafts, and bearings. Check the Simplicitypartsstore online for bearings and seals. They will have a parts breakdown for your machine along with the part numbers. You will have to split the tractor in half and remove the BGB to rebuild it. It's worth putting the time and effort into rebuilding it if you plan on using the machine a lot.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150410_231104-1.jpg

#5 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 11:41 PM

wow ! thats all thats in the bgb ? I read somewhere that sometimes its just the woodruff keys that are sloppy . if I replace the bearings and such I should be good right ? How do I tell if the shaft and gears are bad ?

#6 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,462 Thanks
  • 1,608 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 12:44 AM

Yup, there's not much inside them. You really need to take the BGB apart to see how worn everything is. I picked up a couple of parts tractors and a complete BGB and transaxle assembly to have spares. I plan on rebuilding a couple of BGB's and put them on a shelf for when the time comes. I use Allis/Simplicity tractors year round, so it's worth having extra parts kicking around.
It may be worth finding a parts tractor or a rebuildable BGB, so you can have a BGB rebuilt and ready to install when you decide to change it out. You can then rebuild your old one and have a spare. If you need any help once you get started, just give me a shout and I'll talk you through it. It looks more complicated than it really is.

#7 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,462 Thanks
  • 1,608 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 12:49 AM

I forgot to me tin that you can remove the back cover off of the BGB while it's still in the tractor. You can check the condition of the gear teeth, and also see what's causing the 3/8 of play you have.

#8 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 01:59 AM

thanks classic ! that makes things a little easier . I will be inspecting it as soon as possible  . the problem with "parts tractors " is the burning desire to make them " not parts tractors "  its a sickness of some kind :beerchug:

• KennyP, boyscout862 and classic have said thanks

#9 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 05:42 AM

If you need parts just let me know, I have three complete bgb out back for parts and I really only need one for a spare.  you are in good hands with classic.

Pete

• classic said thank you

#10 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 08:28 AM

hahaha ! thanks classic ! I will let you know for sure