#31 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,659 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted April 12, 2015 - 03:21 PM

Well, boat's a BUST!  Found big crack in side of block below manifold. Think I also found the small crack in manifold, he said was there. SO, gonna pull someday. Hoping it is same block as cars/trucks if I can find one that old anymore, but bet not!  Need more info.  Still haven't found a boating forum to join. Tried one for old glass boats, signed in, but haven't heard back yet. Didn't look very busy in the postings list. Need another one to find.  Time to visit my local marine dealer that is scaled back big time now. He's been around long time, should know stuff would think.

#32 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted April 12, 2015 - 06:40 PM

Sorry to hear about block being damaged.  There is a process for stitching those cracks that supposedly works well if it is the cast iron block. 

#33 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,659 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted April 12, 2015 - 07:01 PM

When we had running the oil pressure gauge was up and down, so wonder if MORE inside could be broken? The oil isn't watery at all it seems, milky I mean.  Thinking of putting gauge right into the block hole, run again, see what we have there. There are two pipe plugs in a big iron elbow on the manifold going down and out. Think I could put water into one from a hose and see what happens? I can even run warm water thru my laundry faucet. The engine ran great really.  Have to talk around and see if fixing/welding block is option or not. I've heard of fixing Big tractor blocks, not so much on cars. Two freeze plugs right on each side of crack, wonder why they didn't blow out? 

• Cvans said thank you

#34 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted April 12, 2015 - 07:18 PM

Well, boat's a BUST!  Found big crack in side of block below manifold. Think I also found the small crack in manifold, he said was there. SO, gonna pull someday. Hoping it is same block as cars/trucks if I can find one that old anymore, but bet not!  Need more info.  Still haven't found a boating forum to join. Tried one for old glass boats, signed in, but haven't heard back yet. Didn't look very busy in the postings list. Need another one to find.  Time to visit my local marine dealer that is scaled back big time now. He's been around long time, should know stuff would think.

Yet another hobby to get out of?

#35 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,469 Thanks
  • 3,369 posts

Posted April 12, 2015 - 07:50 PM

If you want the boat, either find an engine lime you have, which is basically a 60's to early 70's Base model Nova engine. But better just look around for a used engine from a boat, there are dozens of boat salvage yards around with good running engines complete with manifolds, etc... at very reasonable prices. You can use 4-6-8 cylinder, just don't kill your drive with too much torque.
  • Cvans said thank you

#36 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,659 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted April 18, 2015 - 08:24 AM

Went to Marina today to get book. It's on order now. Told him about running with no water and he said NO GOOD!  Aparently there is a rubber like impeller in the drive unit, that will start to disintegrate in 1 minute of running with now water. Oooops!  He had simple clamp on device to fit over vents on drive and hook up hose to give water. Gonna try that again, see where it runs out if it does, then he said check oil to see if milky and means cracked inside and no good. IF the crack on outside is all, they have a mix goop to put over it, that sounds just like JB Weld and he says they use alot and it holds. Hmmm! I've had little use of that stuff, so not sure it holds up to the heat and water and such. SO, also to pull engine, have to pull some of the drive first. Seems there is a drive shaft between them and engine doesn't just slip out or off when pulling it out.

Another item I asked about was oil pan plug and getting oil out with little room below to do so. He said buy the dipstick pump out device and change that way. Ehhh!  What about slug and stuff?  And he says later engines by Mercruiser don't even have oil pan plugs in them as people would let oil down in boat sump and the pump there would pump it out into lake, so they stopped that. Mine has little sump with oil film on it now and the pump is all gunky with oil and etc. Will be getting that thing out and see if even workable. Seems like a cheapy plastic thing, and place said not expensive for new one.  This  Won't be a 15 summer toy looks like, will be next year if at all.

#37 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,538 Thanks
  • 3,924 posts

Posted April 18, 2015 - 10:50 AM

Sounds like you have a good marina shop to work with. I would agree with what all they told you. It has been a few years since I had a boat, but there are a lot of good memories.

#38 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted April 18, 2015 - 02:14 PM

Sorry to hear the bad news. If he recommends the patch maybe try it this year. I would fix it right over the winter if you had to wait. When I read earlier about you running it I thought I hope your getting water to it. I had a Mercury 125 outboard for about 18 years. I had what they called then was a bonnet clamp that fastened around the water ports in the lower unit & like you said just attach the garden hose to it. You got a nice boat take your time & get it like you want.

#39 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,659 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted April 18, 2015 - 08:58 PM

Yep, think Bonnet Clamp sounds right. Gonna throw it on sometime and see what goes.

#40 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,608 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 07:46 AM

GL, what engine is in that rig?

#41 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,469 Thanks
  • 3,369 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 08:00 AM

We call them ear muffs, hook the garden hose up and run all you need to. As for the oil plug, I never owned one that didn't have a plug in the pan, they even make a hose with a valve on it to screw in the plug hole and when you change oil you just run the hose out through the bilge drain hole and drain into a bucket. Not saying some marine engines weren't without drain plugs, but in nearly 50 years of owning boats, I never saw one. Most people buy a cheap pump made for oil changes in boats and pump the oil out the dipstick tube.