#1 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 05:30 PM

Somewhere ????? Last night we had torrential rain and lightning and thunder. It was 42* F and today it hasn't gotten over 35* F. My driveway is a muddy mess again due to the frost not leaving as it should have by now. I had the Custom 10 XL with the rake out the other day and raked it a bit. After that it froze again and it was ok to drive on. In the last three days it has gotten much softer and there is about 3 - 4" of water standing in the low spot. Usually we will have a little water for a while after the rain bur it goes away rather quickly after the frost is out. Supposed to get into the 50* and 60* range for the weekend and into next week. I will try raking the drive again tomorrow and Sunday if necessary to get it smoothed out. We plan on putting about 10 yards of gravel on it this spring. Hopefully it will make a base good enough for us to pave / balcktop it in two years. Pictures tomorrow before and after we rake it. I have a lot of large pine trees in the yard and have a lot of roots exposed in the driveway now. I'm thinking I will have to dig these up and cut them so we can get a smooth and transitioned drive from the house to the road.
  • Alc, boyscout862, toomanytoys84 and 1 other said thanks

#2 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 05:46 PM

It's beautiful out right now. I was out in the drive way beating on that old lawn boy I got. I done goofed up on it but that's another story for another day.

Weather is good!!
  • hamman, boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,802 Thanks
  • 7,542 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 06:21 PM

Putting clean gravel(no sand or silt) on when the driveway is soft will work out good in the long run. In the short run it can be a pain. The gravel( I use 1 1/4" stone) will sink into the soft mud and create a much stronger gravel. The gravel for a gravel driveway is different from what you want to use under paving. Under paving it must drain or the paving will break up from frost heave.  Make sure that you have all of your drainage working right before you even think about paving. Otherwise the paving won't last long and you will have wasted alot of money. Good Luck, Rick

• Alc, hamman, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#4 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,110 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 06:26 PM

I use rock dust in my driveways here. It's great stuff. It eliminates the soft driveway in the sping. It's not hard on the blower or mower, if it gets into the grass from the blower. It's only 1/4 or less crushed rock, don't know what it would be called in your area. It's much better than pavement and if it moves, you just level it out with a rake or your favourite garden tractor with a back blade. I tried 3/4 driveway gravel once, never again.
Noel.

Edited by propane1, April 10, 2015 - 06:35 PM.

• hamman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 07:15 PM

The weather here really hasn't decided what to do yet, but it has stayed fairly decent during the day.

I've been nearly too busy to notice, though.

Ben W.

• hamman and propane1 have said thanks

#6 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,869 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 08:58 PM

What Propane described as rock dust sounds like what we call pea gravel.... nice stuff to work with and packs in really well.

#7 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,110 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 09:02 PM

Yes, that was the other name I was trying to remember. Thank you, Noel.
  • hamman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 07:11 AM

We generally use what they call class A gravel, which is a mix of crusher dust and aggregate up to 3/4". To top that off I use crusher dust, which is fine and has some clay content so it hardens and is easy to grade. The only problem with it is that weeds grow easily in it unless you keep it graded on a regular basis. I scarify mine and grade it at least twice a year and that keeps it pretty clear of weeds. I made a real mess of my driveway in the last month using a loader bucket to plow snow. Made some real gouges in it when the bucket edge dug in to the soft spots. It's finally warming up here as well. The snow banks are finally starting to melt but it's going to be a long process before it's all gone. 

#9 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,869 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 11:04 AM

In the summer we maintain the gravel by dragging a section of flexible harrow with "Little John", the J.D. STX38. It brings the gravel back up nicely without gouging the surface.
  • propane1 said thank you