• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 10:36 AM

Hi folks

It's the 98th anniversary of the WW1 battle of Vimy Ridge. I have linked to a very interesting documentary video about the battle. It was a pivotal victory for the Allies and one of the events that helped form the identity of Canada as a young country. For anyone interested in Military history this is a fascinating event.  

I find that WW1 has been somewhat forgotten. The huge casualty figures from that war are staggering. Previous to the Canadian assault on Vimy, which cost 3600 Canadian lives over 4 days, some 200,000 British and French troops had perished trying to get control of the ridge from the Germans. 

https://www.youtube....e&v=xaywRnWrhzI

• tinbender7, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 5 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,744 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 11:27 AM

It is very sad the way that political leaders and incompetent generals have wasted millions of lives in the twentieth century(and all before and since). Canadian Armed Forces always makes me think of Dieppe where Churchills' half baked idea wasted thousands of Canadians(smaller but like his Gallipolli in WWI). The British Generals seemed to have little problems with wasting their "colonial troops". That is why the ANZACS put big restrictions on what GB could order them to do in WWII.

Thanks for the link. Good Luck, Rick

• jms180, JDBrian, tinbender7 and 2 others have said thanks

#3 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,162 Thanks
  • 916 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 11:59 AM

I have to say that over here in the UK, WW1 is very much on the public conscious as over the next 4 years there have been and will be events marking critical dates pertaining to that war. In fact I was in France last week for a holiday and visited the Somme battlefields where the British Army lost thousands of troops on one day. A sobering thought when you see the war graves...... My wife's grandfather's older brother was killed that day aged 18. An absolute waste. The arrogance and incompetence of the generals and the Officers' Class led to thousands of needless deaths. This continues into the Second World War when Britain lost Singapore due to absolute crass incompetence.

Thanks for posting this by the way; it good to see that you guys haven't forgotten about this European war which have shaped the Europe we know today.

Edited by Bolens800uk, April 10, 2015 - 12:05 PM.

• jms180, JDBrian, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#4 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,102 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 01:38 PM

My mothers father was a corporal in the first world war, don't know if he was in that battle and my father was in the second world war. His rank was a Trooper. This is a driver/mechanic for a tank. From what I know, he drove the first Canadian tank into Sicily in 1942, but he did not tell me that, he would never speak about the war.  Thanks Brian for the post,   Noel   

• JDBrian, boyscout862 and Bolens800uk have said thanks