12 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 09:25 AM

Mother in law last night decided to drive through a flooded section of road.  Luckily she is ok.

We got a lot of rain yesterday, more than drainage could handle.  She came to a low spot in the road, thought it looked like only a couple inches of water.  Turned out it was over 3 feet.  She was in a high sitting SUV. She managed to drive across it but in the process the inside of the car had several inches of water in it(she claims it was up to her knees sitting), when she came out the other side it stopped running.  Fired back up after it was sitting for a bit water got into some electrical bit.  Now its waiting for the insurance adjuster.

Moral of the story, better to be safe than sorry when it comes to flood road ways!  Could of ended a lot differently.

• MH81, hamman, KennyP and 8 others have said thanks

#2 M.Cain OFFLINE  

M.Cain
  • Member No: 68107
  • 185 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 09:39 AM

She is lucky good to here she OK . In southern Indiana a women lost her life when she and her husband were removeing  rubbish from a culvert that went under there drive she fell in and they found her 3/4 mile down stream.

• KennyP, tinbender7, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#3 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 10:01 AM

She is lucky good to here she OK . In southern Indiana a women lost her life when she and her husband were removeing  rubbish from a culvert that went under there drive she fell in and they found her 3/4 mile down stream.

That is terrible.

Maybe 10 years ago we had a bad flood.  A woman and her son were driving down the road, attempted to cross a flood section of road and it washed their car off the road.  They were found several miles down stream.  Very sad story.  She worked at the local Dairy Queen.  I knew her from getting food there, and she was always so sweet and kind.

• boyscout862, Sawdust and propane1 have said thanks

#4 twostacks OFFLINE  

twostacks

• Member No: 6470
  • 447 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 01:18 PM

Hope there's no trouble, but will the insurance adjuster have anything to say about here intentionally crossing high water? I don't know how my insurance would react to that kind of situation. Hopefully they won't give her any grief.

• propane1 said thank you

#5 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 05:20 PM

You can still get in trouble even if the water is not that deep.

• Gtractor, MH81, IamSherwood and 2 others have said thanks

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,479 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 05:54 PM

It's always best to not try crossing if water is over the road. Could be washed out under there or a bunch deeper than you think.

#7 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 04:31 PM

I've read that it doesn't take very deep water to push a car or truck downstream. I recall as little as 8 inches of swift water can push a truck down the creek. She's lucky. Very lucky.

#8 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 07:16 AM

Well they totaled her vehicle, now the insurance company isn't giving her what she owes on it.  Another fight, but that's a story for another day.

#9 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted April 25, 2015 - 09:18 AM

There are a couple viaducts that flood regularly around here.  If they have not yet blocked them off I usually run thru them.

One time I was waiting at the beginning of the water while I watched a Suburban 4X4 crawl thru the water;  they were thru the deepest part and were coming up the other side of the viaduct, and at this point was only in about 3-4" of water and getting shallower, only about another carlength left to go to dry ground and this person backed back up thru the viaduct and went around; upon seeing this I knew it was not that bad and went right thru it with my Cherokee.

and the endless stories about insurance not paying what is owed when their services are needed make me sick; I refuse to pay any difference owed on a vehicle I no longer own.  That is another reason why I won't own anything "that" new where I owe much if anything on it.

#10 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted May 07, 2015 - 07:00 AM

and the endless stories about insurance not paying what is owed when their services are needed make me sick; I refuse to pay any difference owed on a vehicle I no longer own.  That is another reason why I won't own anything "that" new where I owe much if anything on it.

I always purchase the "GAP" insurance when I take a loan out, cost 2 or 3 dollars a month, and covers what the insurance doesn't pay if you get in this situation.

She had the top of the line Ford Explorer.  It had EVERY option you could get from Ford.  They paid over 50 grand for it!  It's 3 years old still 3 years to go on the loan, so she owes about 30,000 for it.  The first year she owned it, she probably lost 20,000 in value.  Then it just plummeted from there.  The insurance company is saying going price for her is 23,000.  She is 7,000 short of making pay off.  They are still fighting over it.  

But I agree insurance should pay your loan cost, but the situation is that vehicles are depreciating so fast now a days and the loan terms are so long that this is how people are ending up.

#11 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted May 07, 2015 - 06:19 PM

I have only ever been in a situation where I bought something that I was offered GAP insurance; I said NO. just like I did to extended warranty, and anything else "extra".  I still got stuck for it.  Salesman said "Cmon let us get our points, you got 3 days to call the company and cancel" I still said NO.  They still added it. We left the stealership at 10PM, i was on the phone by 9AM the next morning to cancel.  It took me 6MONTHS to get rid of it, I asked when I would get a new payment book to reflect them not charging me for it no more, their response was "we'll take it off the end".  Never happened.  As I said 6 months down the road I finally got a "cancel" notice but they still stuck me for the $6-hundred and some charge, that I repeatedly said "NO" to from the get-go. 15 years later I still have my Wrangler.  (it was 3 yo when I got it, newest vehicle I ever bought) I have not been back to that place again and still tell people not to buy a car from there.

Edited by dodge trucker, May 07, 2015 - 06:20 PM.

#12 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted May 07, 2015 - 07:14 PM

A number of years ago I crossed some fast moving shallow water (few inches) crossing the road never ever will I do that again.Luckily I had started out in the lane in the upstream as before I got across I was in the downstream side and about to be washed off the road!! Nowadays I turn around most any time water is covering the road especially if its moving water, better safe than sorry!

#13 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted May 08, 2015 - 10:19 AM

I have only ever been in a situation where I bought something that I was offered GAP insurance; I said NO.

In 2003 I bought the first brand new vehicle and I had it for a year and it was totaled.  Insurance company only wanted to give me 2/3rd of what I owed on it.  Depreciation they say.  But I had purchased the gap insurance, they paid the rest, and I was free and clear.  It was the best move I ever made, and I won't even buy a vehicle without it now.

• Bolens800uk said thank you