• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 971 Thanks
  • 585 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 09:27 PM

A couple of months ago, all of the magic smoke came out of my 2001 Dodge in a bad way. See photo of what's left when the magic smoke decides it's leaving this world. It may have been upset at what I did to it in October. See second pic. That's about three and a half feet of water and mud.

For the past year and a half, I've been semi-looking for a new to me truck, so I know what they are going for. Monday I find what I'm looking for. Take Tuesday off of work and drive two hours to the dealer. End up making what I thought was a good deal. We shake hands and I explain to the salesman that I need a few days to rearrange money so I can pay him cash. He says no problem--the truck is mine. I even offer him a substantial handful of cash as earnest money. Nope, no need for that.

Today(Thursday) I have all of my money in one pile and call him to set up a time on Friday.

He calls me back and says his daughter-in-law sold the truck. I was flabbergasted. I was so taken back I didn't have a clue what to say. He's apologetic and giving me his word that he will find another truck and to give him another chance. I did remind him that he gave me his word on Tuesday.

I think, even though he's a licensed used car dealer, he got sellers remorse and sold it for a higher price to someone else. I think I negotiated a really good deal and he regretted it. I looked at worse trucks where I live that were five to six grand higher.

Right now I don't know whether to be pissed off or what?? Part of me wants to take action, but what. Part of me says to stay away from the guy. Part of me wants to flag every ad he puts up. Part of me wants to put an ad in his local newspaper. Part of me says let it be and let him answer at the pearly gates. Part of me says he should go tell the other guy he f'd up and buy the truck back.

We had a good conversation. We figured out that he worked with my daddy in the late 70s/early 80s. He knew my second cousin. I thought I was in good shape.

I don't need lectures on a verbal contract is only as good as the paper it's written on.

And I'm not sure I'm even asking you guys for anything. I'm mainly just venting.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  • hamman, Cvans, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#2 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 971 Thanks
  • 585 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 09:29 PM

Now I am getting POd. The ad is still up on CL!!!!!!
  • MH81 said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 09:49 PM

Call Him 1st thing in the morning and tell him he has ___ (24?) hours to make this right with you or you're going to start a negative social media campaign that would make a presidential campaign look calm. Every Facebook Friend and their friends will know what a slimeball he is... as for the face to face Spreading the word... You will start with your friends and neighbors, being sure to talk to the ones with disposable income first... then you will talk to everyone you know about his bad business practices. Right down to your BFF from second grade if you can find them.

On this end, when you tell me to, I will make phone calls or send emails. If he starts getting a bunch of them from different people asking why he sold the truck out from under you, he will get the idea that you're not blowing smoke. Stuff like this fries my arse. He shook your hand and that USED to mean something.

Also, just to make his paper trail harder, start a claim with the BBB. Be Specific and cry foul loudly. A verbal agreement is still supposed to be binding and you can make it harder on him with the claim. He only has so many days to respond or his BBB rating gets a slap.
  • KennyP, trowel, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#4 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,467 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 10:25 PM

Like you I can think of all kinds of actions and threats but in the end would you feel good about it? I'm guessing not. This to will pass and you will be a better person for not doing something now that you will regret later. 

Good luck in your search. 

• trowel, Bill 76 and JBRamsey have said thanks

#5 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 10:27 PM

Call Him 1st thing in the morning and tell him he has ___ (24?) hours to make this right with you or you're going to start a negative social media campaign that would make a presidential campaign look calm. Every Facebook Friend and their friends will know what a slimeball he is... as for the face to face Spreading the word... You will start with your friends and neighbors, being sure to talk to the ones with disposable income first... then you will talk to everyone you know about his bad business practices. Right down to your BFF from second grade if you can find them.

On this end, when you tell me to, I will make phone calls or send emails. If he starts getting a bunch of them from different people asking why he sold the truck out from under you, he will get the idea that you're not blowing smoke. Stuff like this fries my arse. He shook your hand and that USED to mean something.

Also, just to make his paper trail harder, start a claim with the BBB. Be Specific and cry foul loudly. A verbal agreement is still supposed to be binding and you can make it harder on him with the claim. He only has so many days to respond or his BBB rating gets a slap.

Remind me not to cross you.

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#6 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 10:33 PM

I'd just let it go, most peoples word is crap now days. This happens all the time in the GT world. Better than 90% will tell you one thing and an hour later sell it to someone else. I guess they must all be starving to death and need the cash right away.

• boyscout862, Oldford and JBRamsey have said thanks

#7 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 10:38 PM

Yup you got screwed. If he is posting using his dealers license I'm sure the state would like to know about his shady dealings. I know here the state takes it very seriously if a dealer ( licensed or unlicensed) does something like this. Good luck. I hope you find a good truck.                                                          Roger

• JBRamsey said thank you

#8 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 11:08 PM

Sorry to hear of your trouble. Maybe your better off anyway. Do you think if you got the truck and had a problem with it, he would help you. NO WAY!  Find a reputable dealer and your truck will be there. Good luck.

• boyscout862, LilysDad and JBRamsey have said thanks

#9 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,639 Thanks
  • 1,052 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 11:59 PM

Yeah ya got screwed but I would just let it go,forget about it.You don't need the stress. There's a reason for every thing in life good or bad.Someday he will have to answer to the man upstairs .

I think you will find a better deal from a better person and look back on this and feel good about yourself.

I do think it's a shame that a mans word and hand shake means nothing to some people these days.

• Username and JBRamsey have said thanks

#10 1oldbuzz OFFLINE  

1oldbuzz
  • Member No: 61298
  • 257 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 01:44 AM

I feel your pain

been there

not much you can but give him an earful

I would not go back

and would tell everyone I know

Bad news travels fast

On the positive side might be a blessing in disguise that you lost out

#11 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 03:14 AM

In the old days "horse dealer" was code for con man.  Now a horse has 4 wheels and is made of metal.

As the old book says, there is nothing new under the sun, a con man is still the same tho the horse looks different.

Maybe you got lucky not buying the truck from that guy, what else was he lying about?  good luck in your search

#12 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,777 Thanks
  • 4,299 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 04:24 AM

If he is an auto dealer, I would contact the Better Busniess Bureau for sure!!

Maybe even the state attorney general...He is probably beating his state out of tax money. This will sure get his business practice looked into!!

• boyscout862 and JBRamsey have said thanks

#13 greenb69 ONLINE  

greenb69
  • Member No: 65681
  • 266 Thanks
  • 210 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 04:40 AM

I am native American and we believe that our word is all you need. In the military my drill Sargent said, "you don't have to like me but you will respect me." Respect comes from keeping your word. That guy does not deserve your respect, trust or business. Find another dealer and when this guy calls with a deal, tell him you found a reputable dealer. How hard would it be for him to put a sold sign on the truck you made a deal on.
  • Alc, Cvans, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#14 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 05:35 AM

Sorry you lost your deal but be positive about it. Maybe it was for your best. Definitely don't deal with him again. Let it go it happens all the time. It's sad but people's word or a hand shake mean nothing anymore. Next time I would get a written contract.

Edited by Sawdust, April 10, 2015 - 05:37 AM.

• boyscout862 and JBRamsey have said thanks

#15 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,569 Thanks
  • 3,894 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 05:53 AM

I am a Missouri licensed dealer and have been since the 1980's. 

What that guy did is totally unacceptable.

I'd be all nicey-nicey and "test drive" another pickup.

When I came back with the truck no-one could tell what color it was because I'd take it straight to the same hole that killed your last truck.   No dents or [intentional] damage,  just abuse the crap out of it. 

THAT will send the proper message.