• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 junkyardjeff OFFLINE  

junkyardjeff
  • Member No: 50084
  • 69 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 08:05 PM

I am in the process of installing new tires on my 73ish Sears custom 10 that still had the originals,my big block powered truck would not break the bead running over them so out came the sawzall and die grinder and cut off wheel to cut them off the rims. I will never buy tires off the internet again because they came flatter then a pancake and are a pain to install even after sitting a week with a tube aired up inside them,had to mount a spindle in the vise so I could mount the rim to it so I could install one tire so far. Waiting on the sawzall battery to charge up so I can cut the other tire off,I was hoping it would not have taken so long but I should never think its going to be easy.

• tinbender7 said thank you

#2 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 08:07 PM

I forget right now but the mods here know of some good dealers with good tires you can order from, well worth it.

#3 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,807 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 08:11 PM

I ran into the same thing buying fronts form summit, great deal on the tires but they were so far out of shape when they came in it was a nightmare to mount them.  I just tubed them and forgot about it. good luck

• Alc and tinbender7 have said thanks

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,144 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 08:50 PM

I just removed two 12" good tires from rims that were original I am sure.  I happen to have one of the heavy duty slide hammer bead breakers used on truck tires.  About 3 shots in 3 places next to each other and they were loose.  Same with the 8" fronts.  When I have a tire that don't want to seat to the bead I put a 2" ratchet strap around the tire and crank it down hard.  This usually forces the bead up enough to get a shot of air into it with a blow gun.  If it don't put a wad of grease between the tire and rim where it is stubborn and it should go.  Good luck.

#5 junkyardjeff OFFLINE  

junkyardjeff
  • 69 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 09:53 PM

The fronts are on and if I ever have to change the rears they are going where there is a tire machine,I will never again buy tires that are going to be shipped since I thought I would never get them on. I bought four tires and still have two that might get pitched in the trash before I ever try to install them.

#6 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 03:25 AM

My 68 has the original firestones, i like the way they look.  Finally had to put a tube in 1 last year, will do the other side this year.  The rears only need aired up a couple times a year.

I'm lucky there's a discount tire place in town that changes small tires for 5 bucks, tubes are 12 bucks there.  They have GT tires, if i ever needed one would use one of theirs and let them worry about fitting it, young guys with strong backs, old tires can be a hassle, good luck

• Sawdust said thank you

#7 greenb69 OFFLINE  

greenb69
  • Member No: 65681
  • 268 Thanks
  • 210 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 04:29 AM

I have an 80 model PK with the original 800x16 tires that are bad. Put a tube in one already but tire man said that I could use 265x75x16 and maintain the hight. Not sure but tuff having flats on a hill.

#8 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,600 Thanks
  • 7,656 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 06:47 AM

Has anyone ever used that trick where you put starting fluid in the tire and then light it? The explosion immediately seats the beads.

#9 twostacks OFFLINE  

twostacks

• Member No: 6470
  • 447 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 06:59 AM

Has anyone ever used that trick where you put starting fluid in the tire and then light it? The explosion immediately seats the beads.

I did... once. I was mounting a front tire on a Case all terrain forklift, which is basically an industrial tractor with a mast on it. I couldn't get the bead to seat so I put a few shots of brake clean in and lit it off. Man what a bang. The tire and wheel must've jumped a foot off the ground. The problem was that I was at a customer that manufactured big shell casings for the military, there was nothing around that would go boom, just the metal casings. When I lit that tire off, they came running out of the building like rats off a sinking ship. It was kinda funny until the _ _ _ chewing came. They wouldn't even let me mount the other one outside the gates of the facility. I had to put it in the truck and take it back to the shop to install it. I usually only mounted normal forklift tires and wasn't set up to do tractor tires although I knew how to do them. If I had any ratchet straps I would've went that route instead. That's how I do them now if they give me any trouble.

• Gtractor, MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#10 johnwesley OFFLINE  

johnwesley
  • Member No: 12416
  • 31 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 11:06 AM

Used to do that regularly for golf cart tires, used small shot of starting fluid. Be very careful, usually less is more you don't want big boom!

#11 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 11:56 AM

Use starting fluid all the time on stubborn tires.

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,254 Thanks
  • 28,603 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 01:55 PM

I've done it a couple of times. Carharts, face shield, glasses in the middle of summer can get you some odd looks. Add to that the almost silencer shot sound and He He He.
Is it any wonder why my neighbors don't talk to me much?

Anyways, twostacks has the idea. While you force them into shape, have someone put a ratchet strap around the tread and tighten it until you can let go.

As for a place I've been happy with for tires online, GCT wholesale has treated me well.
  • Sawdust said thank you

#13 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,479 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 08:03 PM

You probably already have the original tires removed by now, but when I come across stubborn tires that the bead doesn't want to break on, I spray penetrating oil all around the bead. Spray one side and let it sit for a day, then flip the wheel over and do the same for that side. Don't usually have much trouble after that. It also helps to let the tires set out in the sun before mounting or dismounting, as the heat will help to soften the tire a little and aid in flexibility. 

#14 junkyardjeff OFFLINE  

junkyardjeff
  • 69 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 08:24 PM

I was in a hurry and wanted the tires changed on the same day which I did do but took mlonger then I thought it would,it was a battle but its over now.