Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Bearing plate for a kohler 341 same as a off a 321?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 07:00 PM

Is the bearing plate (the flat part that goes behind the flywheel) the same for a 321 14 hp as for a 341 (16hp)?

I've got a spare 14 hp starter/generator kohler 321, and a blown 16 hp stator model 341 that I can steal parts off of. Looking to create a 14 hp stator engine.....

If it won't work, I do have a 16 hp starter/gen model I can use to convert, but it is in something already and working "as is"...

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,744 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 07:41 PM

Interesting question. I went on EPAY and looked at bearing plates. There seems to be differences even in the same horse power. I think that you will have to find the parts numbers and check. Good Luck, Rick

#3 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,102 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 08:02 PM

I think you would change the stator and flywheel, maybe the backing plate to change from starter/generator to the other system. And in the starter/generator block, would it have the holes to put a starter on it. Just wondering, may be that I am wrong!!! Noel

#4 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 08:13 PM

Supposed to have the starter holes on all the blocks. The bearing plate/backing plate has the mounts for the stator. You do have to use the stator model flywheel, and since the stator flywheel is bigger, you have to use all the tinwork from the stator model as well.

Several of the guys here have done it before on same horsepower blocks. The thing I am NOT sure about is if the backing plates for the different horsepower models interchange. Pretty sure you could NOT use one from one of the smaller frame engines like the 181, but I was thinking that the 321 and 341 were same size aside from bore... I could be wrong.

Brian Miller talks about the process on his cub puller website if you wanted more info....

There may be differences between the bearing plates between say a wide oil pan and narrow oil pan block though. I hadn't thought about that. But both of my blocks have the same style oil pan so DNA in my situation.....

Edited by Tennblue59, April 09, 2015 - 08:15 PM.

• propane1 said thank you

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 09:53 PM

The only thing you can do is try.  Like others have said, even a stator plate between 14 HP K321's can be different depending on application, oil pans, and similar things. 

Ben W.