Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 05:55 PM

I recently made a purchase on EBay. Shipping was quoted as $30. Package was sent and arrived today. The day it was shipped, I received an email claiming that actual shipping was $52. Today another email asking if "Did u get my email the other day stating it cost $52 or $53 to ship it to u?"

I have acted in good faith, I paid right away and received positive feedback.

My questions are do I respond? Do I still owe the individual money or is this transaction completed? Are they just trying to get a little extra? Do they have any recourse against me?

Integrity means more to me than the 22 (or is it 23) dollars. I did not start out trying to cheat anyone. I bid and paid what was asked.

What would you do?

I am going out now to open the package.

Edited by Bmerf, April 09, 2015 - 05:56 PM.

• tinbender7 and A.C.T. have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 06:04 PM

I would consider the deal complete.

Its the sellers job to figure out shipping before making an item live on ebay for sale, if they cant calculate a basic cost on an item they shouldnt be selling on ebay IMO

What kind of item was it for it to be $50 shipping???

• Gtractor, MH81, tinbender7 and 3 others have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 06:05 PM

I smell a scam. Check with the seller directly if you can. Check the item thoroughly first. Good Luck, Rick

• Bmerf said thank you

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 06:05 PM

I have tried to sell on epay in past and not figure out the shipping part to post. Seems others I buy from are automatic when I put in my info, figures out from that.  I couldn't figure out how to set that up and a few times ended up costing a little more that what I had listed for shipping. I just bit bullet and payed the extra to ship it as a seller.  Maybe guy is like me, not sharp on set-up and finds out later.  Would think it was His problem, but not sure how one would handle such a deal.  To figure ship the site wants weight, box size, place being sent and all that. Kinda hard to know any of that till you sell and want to send then.  I'm kinda dummy on those particulars. That is why many have Priority mail listed at sometimes higher cost than you think should be, but is common box and costs same no matter where or how heavy that way, probly lot easier to mess with when you are a seller.

• Bmerf said thank you

#5 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 06:09 PM

Your deal is complete. Can't imagine what would cost that much shipping. Never use eBay to calculate your shipping their way off compared to the actual USPS site. I use this all the time & If I need labels printed I do this through PayPal.

http://postcalc.usps.com/

• Bmerf, superaben and HANKG have said thanks

#6 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 06:10 PM

They are bound to the listed shipping charges and they have no recourse.

Most people bid considering the shipping charges.

I have made a few mistakes on listing where I had the weight wrong or forgot to unchecked the free shipping and I ate the charges.Mistakes are part of the cost of doing business.

• tinbender7, boyscout862, Bmerf and 1 other said thanks

#7 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 06:14 PM

If it was listed at $30 to ship I would not pay another dime. If it was listed as actual shipping cost I would consider paying. Bottom line is as I read that you have the item. If that is correct I would respond to the seller that you paid shipping as listed and are not paying more. A seller does not ship until everything is paid. When I notified him that all has been paid I would mention that I can file a complaint against the seller and could be detrimental to his sales account. I have never had a seller ask for more shipping after the item was shipped. Ebay has methods of filing complaints and resolving disputes which may not be in a sellers favor. If he keeps after the other shipping do not hesitate to file a complaint. When you file a complaint it locks their Paypal account until it is resolved. He needs to chalk his ignorance on shipping up to education. As far as feedback goes if I can't leave positive feedback I leave none. Negative feedback can turn into a mess. Any type of threatening emails just forward to Ebay. They do not want bad sellers at all. I have learned some things about Ebay in the last 10 years with the hundreds of transactions selling and mostly buying.

• tinbender7, Bmerf and HANKG have said thanks

#8 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 06:16 PM

Your deal is complete. Can't imagine what would cost that much shipping. Never use eBay to calculate your shipping their way off compared to the actual USPS site. I use this all the time & If I need labels printed I do this through PayPal.

http://postcalc.usps.com/

Oversize packages really inflate the shipping charges.A 10 lb oversize package can easily go over $100.I just shipped out a mower deck shell today and it went $105 with a 30% discount.

• tinbender7, Bmerf, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#9 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 06:50 PM

seller may have underestimated shipping costs. Can't see trying to chisel a buyer for $20 but its a strange world..

I won a ebay item last night ( SOLID BRASS FISHER BODY TAG) that I had left a maximum bid of .99 cents with free shipping.. I WON!  Not a big deal but I am sure seller is not making any money off the item.

• Bmerf said thank you

#10 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,641 Thanks
  • 1,057 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 06:53 PM

You lived up to your part of the deal conceder it done.Then I would do what your doing--open the package.

• Bmerf said thank you

#11 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 07:09 PM

Oversize packages really inflate the shipping charges.A 10 lb oversize package can easily go over $100.I just shipped out a mower deck shell today and it went $105 with a 30% discount.

I can understand that when the size costs exceed the weight. I just assumed he bought a small item that would have not costed another $20. to ship.

• Username and Bmerf have said thanks

#12 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,887 Thanks
  • 2,793 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 08:00 PM

When you make a mistake as a seller on shipping, its your mistake, suck it up and be wiser the next time I'm sure most of us have one time or another made a mistake but you don't go crying to the buyer how utterly wimpy.

• Bmerf said thank you

#13 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 08:08 PM

:ditto: :iagree:   If the seller did not stipulate that you paid the actual shipping and you paid what was estimated than it is his problem and not yours and he has no recourse against you.  read the listing over again carefully, check to make sure your item is in good cond and then tell him to go jogging  :D http://i.imgur.com/55YEbqU.gifv

• Bmerf said thank you

#14 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 08:35 PM

Thanks for all the comments. I just like to be fair. Paid for "economy shipping."

Wife agrees with all of you; money changed hands, item was shipped, deal is done.

Had I known there would be an issue or if shipping charges would have been listed as higher; I would have passed. I feel I paid more than a fair price for the item.

Actual shipping charges on the label with insurance was $54.60. Maryland to Michigan. Big box with ~10+ lbs. of shredded news papers.

As of now, I will make no contact with seller. I will wait and see what happens. I have been called an A$$ before and I have thought about leaving feedback as "excellent shipping." 

BTW; Sears 3 point middle buster plow.

• MH81, superaben and Sawdust have said thanks