Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted March 18, 2011 - 08:32 PM

I used the plow today but believe it could be better . Could it be all the play ? You can lift the back of the plow up 4-6" just in the slop. It didn't want to run flat in the furrow. Maybe it would be better to change it from a tool bar plow to a 3 point . Thanks Al
DSC07702.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC07703.jpg

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,332 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted March 18, 2011 - 09:03 PM

Al, by the looks of it, the point needs to be a little lower & the heel needs to be set up to push the back to the right. If it's deeper, the furrow will have more of a tendency to roll over.

As for the play, you want a little left/right motion. If it's rigid it'll fight you bad.

Also, you might try taking smaller bites with the plow, instead of the full 10", try taking 9. It's not exactly a Brinly setup, but you might try reading their setup manual, it helped me a lot.
  • Alc and IamSherwood have said thanks

#3 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted March 18, 2011 - 09:20 PM

Alot of slop on the top link can be a bear getting one to work right but on level ground like you have it shouldnt be to much of a problem. Once it bites, the force should be about constant and shouldnt matter much on flat ground. I noticed that your tool bar was pretty much level across. Once you have the first furrow and start the second furrow, you right hand tires should be in the first furrow. This will cause the plow to sit at an angle relative to the ground being plowed. The landside will be high, you will need to adjust the lift links so that the plow is level to the ground in the furrow. You can raise the share side or lower the landside or both. On my little 1855 the share side lift link will be all the way up and the landside lift link will be 3-4 inches lower.

Here is a nice little video on plow setup:
Standard Single Bottom Plow
  • Bolens 1000, caseguy, Alc and 2 others have said thanks

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 19, 2011 - 08:15 AM

Thanks coldone! That's an awesome video...and it gives some ideas for a custom plow build...maybe...someday LOL!

#5 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted March 19, 2011 - 09:13 AM

adjust thr point down and level the plow will make better looking as the ground will be turned completly over.

#6 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted March 19, 2011 - 10:56 AM

Back to the slop issue, I had to learn the hard way when trying to get some of my stuff to fit on a tractor it wasnt designed for. If you can track down where the play is and them shim it, temporarely, you will be able to get the point to dig in. I had to do this on a couple of plows i use, once I figured out how much shim i needed i welded something more permentant in place.

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted March 19, 2011 - 12:01 PM

I got most of the up & down slop out by welding a bolt and using an extra top link to the 3 pt top link , now need to work on the side to side play. Might have to modify to get the plow further to the left. DSC07710.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC07711.jpg

#8 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted March 19, 2011 - 12:08 PM

PK used anti sway chains for side to side on the lower lift arms, I can not see them in your pictures. They go in front of your a-frame in a x. Shawn

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted March 19, 2011 - 12:19 PM

The chains are there but it's hard to get them tight enough to keep it from swinging , can I use them to pull the plow to the left ( center of the tractor ) ?

#10 Big John OFFLINE  

Big John

• Member No: 1450
  • 21 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted March 19, 2011 - 12:39 PM

If U want the plow further to the left, U must move the hitch pin over to the left.
Trying to use the anti-sway chains will only cause more problems. U have to have
sideways play so the plow beam can run parallel to the land side of the furrow.
IN your picture it doesn't look like U have a coulter to slice through the trash to keep it
from plugging up your plow.

#11 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted March 19, 2011 - 12:48 PM

I had the coulter when I first tried it then took it off to see if would plow better without it , I'll see if can move it over without having to modify the original adjusting screw , might hit the upright on the right side of the drawbar

#12 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted March 19, 2011 - 10:00 PM

I got most of the up & down slop out by welding a bolt and using an extra top link to the 3 pt top link , now need to work on the side to side play. Might have to modify to get the plow further to the left. [ATTACH=CONFIG]11659[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]11660[/ATTACH]

That looks pretty good, nice neat looking fix. Are you happier with the performance? That is a great shot of your PK plowing, make me want one.

#13 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted March 20, 2011 - 09:04 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions , it seems to be working better but I need to set the depth stop or make a gauge wheel , it plow 8-9 " and in some spots 10" Here's how I have it set now , moved the plow towards the left , put the cutler back on and with the extra top link for the play I'm pretty happy , I'm all done plowing at my house but I'm going to plow a spot for a friend how whats to start a garden , maybe I'll have the stop set before then , AlDSC07713.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC07714.jpg

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,332 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted March 20, 2011 - 09:11 AM

Here's a pic of the parts list for the Brinly plow with gauge wheel. Maybe give you an idea or 2.

http://http://www.br...-1200_parts.pdf
  • Alc and twostep have said thanks

#15 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted March 20, 2011 - 03:07 PM

Glad you got it working the way you want it. Sometimes adjusting the top link a little longer will help it not dig as deep. It may only take a turn or two of the top link.
  • Alc said thank you