• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jjsheehe OFFLINE  

jjsheehe
  • Member No: 68914
  • 35 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 05:51 PM

Hi everyone! This is my first post! I'm hoping that I can get some expertise from you Bolens guys.. I just bought a groundskeeper and seems I cant get the transmission to shift to the reverse side.. The guy I bought it from only got it to go in a couple times, now is there any way to get into that tranny without removing it from the tractor? Is there any thing else I could try? Any ideas?

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,546 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 06:03 PM

Welcome to GTT. Check in the Manuals Section for what you need. Good Luck, Rick

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 06:07 PM

Welcome :wave:

We'll have to wait for one of our GK owners to respond.

Having never driven one I cannot give any input on shifting unfortunately.

Take a look at the manual posted here to see if something is possibly stuck or broken somewhere

#4 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 06:26 PM

Welcome aboard,LPBOLENS a member here has a few of them,I'm sure he will be along shortly,cool machine for sure

#5 LPBolens ONLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 11:17 PM

I do have a couple of functional GK's and a parts machine, but I have to say that I have never had a problem getting them into gear, either forward or reverse. Without actually being there with the machine I am not sure I can be much help in diagnosing your specific problem. Do make sure that the high-low selector is definitely in one or the other. That might be the problem.

#6 framesteer ONLINE  

framesteer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11301
  • 338 Thanks
  • 165 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 10:48 AM

I too have not had problems with my GK  shifting properly.  If I haven't driven the machine for awhile,I have trouble putting it in the gear I expect, but it shifts just fine.

There is a "shift lever adjustment" procedure on page 6-2 of the following manual in the "manuals" section.

http://gardentractor...l-sections-4-6/

I'e try that adjustment before taking the cover off the shifting mechanism in the transission.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#7 LPBolens ONLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 03:24 PM

The other possible problem might be the clutch adjustment, especially if you are having trouble specifically when the engine is running. In that sense, it would be just like a similar issue with a car: the clutch not fully disengaging.

#8 jjsheehe OFFLINE  

jjsheehe
  • Member No: 68914
  • 35 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 07:49 PM

Well I tried the clutch adjustment first, all looks ok, also the shifter tang adjustment. So, I split the tractor and got into the transmission linkage through the little window and found the tang is worn a bit, and the one set of gear selectors is so worn that its just sliding past the detent holes and flopping in and out of gear, so when it is aligned and the shifter moves it was allowing the other set of gears to slide and jam at a point where the tang cant be realigned and shifts properly... Ugggh ill need to open it up all the way to fix it properly but I think I got it temporarily at least! And thanks for the welcomes! I'm excited to be here in the Bolens community!
  • LPBolens said thank you