9 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 05:47 PM

Made a trip to a friends small engine salvage yard Monday and ran across and old Bolens Front tine tiller.  Checked the inside tine shaft size and it was what I was after.  Outside measurements was right at 14" which is what the Bolens round back tiller is.  Long story short, got the tines off and with some home made adaptors I have them mounted on the Bolens round back tiller.  2 on the left side and one on the right.  Will make a trip to the welding shop in the morning and pick up some light sheet metal for the top and drag flaps.  Should make an inexpensive extension for the tiller to cover the rear wheel tracks.  If anyone wants more detain PM me or I can add it as an addition to this topic.  

Edited by chieffan, April 09, 2015 - 08:25 PM.

• Bolens800uk said thank you

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 05:54 PM

What kind of tiller was it?

• chieffan said thank you

#3 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 06:46 PM

His 1st sentence........."old Bolens Front time tiller", but I think he means tine

#4 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 06:48 PM

His 1st sentence........."old Bolens Front time tiller", but I think he means tine

Wondering what model/ era front tine tiller......

#5 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 08:25 PM

It definitely was a Bolens front tine tiller.  Had a 3.5 hp white B&S engine with top recoil.  No numbers or anything else found on the tiller except the word Bolens molded into the front of the rounding top of the drive where the motor was mounted.  It was a yellow gold color, the gear on the tine shaft was brass.  Not sure on the worm gear.  Had to literally melt the case front to get to the shafts to cut the tines free.  Then after overnight soaking pressed the stubs out with a 20T press.  The tines are narrower than on the round top and the cutting edge is at an angle rather than straight across.  Will get some photos tomorrow before I make the covers. 

#6 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,208 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 08:42 PM

It definitely was a Bolens front tine tiller.  Had a 3.5 hp white B&S engine with top recoil.  No numbers or anything else found on the tiller except the word Bolens molded into the front of the rounding top of the drive where the motor was mounted.  It was a yellow gold color, the gear on the tine shaft was brass.  Not sure on the worm gear.  Had to literally melt the case front to get to the shafts to cut the tines free.  Then after overnight soaking pressed the stubs out with a 20T press.  The tines are narrower than on the round top and the cutting edge is at an angle rather than straight across.  Will get some photos tomorrow before I make the covers. 

:(

#7 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 11:28 AM

I see wlberj is shaking his head.  Some people have no imagination or creativity.  :smilewink:  Here are photos of the donator tiller.  There was a label with the Bolens name on it.  I was wrong when I said it thought it was molded into the case.

Gold Til.JPG             Gold Til Lbl.JPG

This is the tines mounted on the tiller.  From the photos it looks like the added tines are smaller in diameter than the original but they both measure 14" across, point to point.

1 on Right.JPG     2 on L-1.JPG     2 on L-2.JPG

Haven't had it in the dirt yet as it is way to wet to try that.  Water standing in the low hard places.  I see no reason why it should not work as it will be run in previously plowed ground.  :dancingbanana:        :wave:     :rocker2:

• Bolens800uk said thank you

#8 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 11:51 AM

It was a late 70's Tiller

maxresdefault.jpg

#9 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 01:06 PM

That looks right to me. The engine was white on this one but that don't really make any difference. The tine diameter was the main item. Can always work around the coupler size difference. Thanks Brian for the picture.

#10 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted April 18, 2015 - 12:57 PM

First chance to get it into some dirt this afternoon.  Spent most of the day in the garden, plowed some more area and put the 1053 & tiller to work.  Pulled harder but the 10 hp Wisconsin did the job with no problem.  Was good to cover the right side tire track too.  Still basically a one way tiller to keep the wheel tracks turned.  No wobble or anything else detrimental to the task.  Now to put the covers over the top and add a couple drag plates and its a done deal.  I do not recommend this make over be used  on new ground.  Use it only after the plow has been through it or for weeding operations.