11 replies to this topic

#1 JohnMC OFFLINE  

JohnMC
  • Member No: 65310
  • 23 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 02:49 PM

Hi there, I own a Ariens Gt 17.

And have been looking for a engine That would make a replacment And this came up.

However The information is provided is next to none.

If anyone knows the model of this engine please speak up, aswell as What are some engines that will drop in? Besides Kohler mags?

https://erie.craigsl...4963711646.html

Edited by JohnMC, April 09, 2015 - 02:55 PM.

#2 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 349 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 02:57 PM

No pic or link??

You could transplant a K series Kohler from another Ariens GT or S series.  You would probably have to drill some holes to mount it, but it would be an easy swap.

#3 JohnMC OFFLINE  

JohnMC
  • Member No: 65310
  • 23 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 03:20 PM

No pic or link??

You could transplant a K series Kohler from another Ariens GT or S series.  You would probably have to drill some holes to mount it, but it would be an easy swap.

You don't see the link?

I've looked for a K series not many of them seem to put up around here.

Edited by JohnMC, April 09, 2015 - 03:22 PM.

#4 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,295 Thanks
  • 2,331 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 03:55 PM

The engine you linked to is a Vertical shaft opposed twin Briggs and Stratton.I don't think it would work for your Ariens Gt 17.You need a Horizontal shaft engine.

• dodge trucker said thank you

#5 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 05:13 PM

nope it won't work.  I see about 15 vertical shaft engines available for every horizontal shaft one.

I have a line on an Onan, I too have an Ariens GT that has a tired engine. I had a post last week about this where others posted measurements of other engines vs. those of the original Kohler KT.   I had a line on a Command V twin but hesitated because I thought the V twin would wind up too tall.  I'd like to find a 20HP Magnum to drop into mine.

This Onan I found, has 1 issue that I know of and it has nothing to do with running condition; My KT19 has an 1-1/4" diam. shaft (as does your 17HP)  but this Onan is a 1-7/16.... so that means either find a different PTO clutch OR pull the Onan apart and have the crank machined down and a new keyway cut in.

#6 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 349 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 06:29 PM

You don't see the link?

I see it now. Didn't see it earlier.??? As DT said, it's a vertical shaft engine and won't work.

I think a K series Kohler would be the easiest to fit, but they are getting harder to find. Most horizontal shaft engines should be able to be "made" to fit. It just depends on how much fabrication you want to do. I think a nice single cylinder diesel would fit nicely!! =)

#7 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 09:57 PM

You can try a Chinese Honda clone, or one of the Subaru models. The old cast iron torque monsters are getting hard to find.

My last Honda 13 hp clone cost me 400. It was pretty simple to bolt up. and the driveline mods were fairly straight forward. All I had to do was build a flywheel adapter.

It depends on your individual situation.

#8 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 05:39 PM

IDK about the OP/ but me? Honda? (or clone) never.  The few Hondas I have experienced, and me, just do not get along.

Being as how they did put the single cyl Kohlers into the S series (which essentially became the GT series) I am wondering just how bad it would be to put a K series single in place of a twin?  I have a fresh M12 (12HP Magnum, same as a K301 except without points ignition) that has yet to be run since the overhaul, thinking of putting that on there for now, as for what I got this tractor for, that would definitely be enough power at least til I could pull the KT19 and go through it.  After 1765 hours I'd say it's due. My KT is a "Series II" so it is the lesser of the evils.

and I did get that Onan that I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread. HP, model, and condition as yet unknown, supposed to run. 

Besides comparing mounting flange bolt pattern and crankshaft height, I would need to find an electric PTO clutch to fit a 1-7/16" diameter shaft to make that one work. still tossing ideas around, would like to use something I have on hand already if possible.

#9 Wm McNett OFFLINE  

Wm McNett

• Member No: 1428
  • 85 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted April 12, 2015 - 11:54 AM

You're looking for a replacement because? Smoking? Throw a quick hone job, valve guides, valve job, and new rings at it.

Might aswell have the heads milled while you have them off and just use sealer in place of the cylinder base gasket for a little more compression and a little more power.

I bought a running Vertical 20hp Magnum at a yard sale for $25, a Horizontal Magnum case, intake and a Horizontal Magnum crank (with the correct PTO) off eBay. Swapped everything into the horizontal case and have a spare $1,000 engine setting on the shelf that cost me less than $200 and some time.

you could put just about anything in if you want to do the work. There's lots of info on repowering out there if you know what you're searching for

Service manuals are great for finding the specs that you need to repower your tractor

#1 match the PTO shaft OD and length.

#2 you need to match the crank center line height, be it with spacers or and adapter plate

#3 you need to get the pump driveshaft attache to the flywheel

If you really don't want to do all the work, there are people who have already done the work that you'll need to pay

http://www.jimsrepai...com/Engines.htm

send him a message with you info, he'll hook you up with an engine that just drops in ;)

The was someone on ebay selling repower kits for the Ariens GT.

I'm looking for a little diesel engine myself. nobody sells those

#10 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted April 12, 2015 - 01:37 PM

well I replaced the breather on it as that was where it was smoking from (and oiling my air filter from the inside out)  on a tip from another thread here and the rubber old style ones going bad, took a compression test,  as looking at flywheel end left cyl 105 right cyl 90. with only a 5PSI difference with wet compression test on both sides.

I pulled the heads, very little carbon buildup (I expected way more)  very smooth walls with no ridge or scoring, so it may well take a hone and ring job.

Just that being a KT, and knowing that Kohler does not support those no more, "if" I do wind up needing to bore it out and replace pistons, just a single piston (Ebay prices) is $150. 2 pistons $300.  Gasket set another $100, rings another $100,  and though I do believe this motor is rebuildable  for the cost involved it don't appear to make sense.

I just changed oil for the 1st time since owning (I have only put 3 hours onto it while I have had it/ tractor now shows 1762) and with the new breather, head gaskets, fuel pump (old one was leaking gas at the seams) and a fresh boil out of the carb  I am hoping to get some more use out of the current engine.  I did replace the plugs before the last time I got to plow snow with it and the center electrode and porcelain is black, the outer electrode is tan  so that is a good sign.  I am surprised it ran as well as it did with as much rusty sediment as came out of the carb bowl.  The only issue running was that I could turn the idle mixture anywhere from fully shut to several turns open with out any difference at all.   It does start quick and runs pretty smooth so with the new breather, let's see if that solves the smoking.  Lets just say that I don't need a different motor "right now". but it is time to look. 

$25 for a Magnum twin even if it was a vertical? Where? You stole that one.

#11 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 01, 2015 - 11:25 PM

I bought a GT19 several months ago with a daylight block in the KT19-Series II. 

I've measure my engine for several engines, including Honda V-twin, a B&S twin IC engine, A Kohler CH18 V twin, and a Ruggerini 2 cylinder diesel (Ariens put them in the GT18D, but stretched the frame 4").

The Honda's crankshaft centerline is about 1" lower than the KT19 engine... the bolt spacing side to side is the same but different front to rear. If you use a spacer to bring it up even--necessary if you use the fiberglass discs in the flywheel coupling, then the hood hits the top of the cylinders... A person might could raise the front grill 3/4 inch by putting a steel spacer under it, and move the dashboard up by putting some brackets under it. Haven't got that far so I don't know for sure if that would work.

The B&S has the same shaft centerline, but the mounting holes don't match front to rear.

The Ruggerini has a crankshaft centerline about 3/4" higher than the KT19, -- it will fit in the engine compartment, but would require either cutting the hood for the exhaust, or some fancy work with exhaust tubing.  The oil filter is also blocked by the frame.

The Kohler Command 18 has the same "footprint" for the mounting holes and the same crankshaft center height, and, near as I can tell, the same position of the flywheel, etc. to the KT19  but I haven't measured for the clearance from the top of the engine to the hood. 

I just bought a CH18, so I'll be checking this soon as I want to get my GT 18.5 running ASAP.

Also, bear in mind that the manual Ross steering gear if VERY close to the drive shaft so you'd have to be creative if you decide to use U-joints..

--AND--  The engine sits offset to the driver's right (sitting in the seat) about 1" so that may throw a wrench in the works.

Anyway, HTH,

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, May 01, 2015 - 11:28 PM.

#12 Wm McNett OFFLINE  

Wm McNett

• Member No: 1428
  • 85 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted May 02, 2015 - 08:53 AM

the 22hp v-twin command is the engine they put in the Grand Sierra which is basically a GT with a different hood and dash. Should be a great fit.

http://www.jackssmal...ariens/7208/327

• drbish said thank you