#31 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,211 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 08:35 PM

Never should of tried saving it... Turn it of and unplug the internet cable. This type of virus more time you give it worst they get.  I had this one once I turned of the Pc and unplugged the internet. I turned it on at the pc shop to show them what I was talking about.  The guy jumped for the power button.  Said more time you give these the worst it is to remove it.  He said I was lucky I don't have my bank info on that pc.     Just my .02

Edited by wilberj, April 09, 2015 - 09:01 PM.

• MH81 and trowel have said thanks

#32 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 08:45 PM

Your words carry a lot of weight, I am still not out of the woods just yet, still very leary and still researching on what to check for remnants. At the moment everything is disconnected and changed from the computer, the bank, my profile, everything, until I can afford to have it looked at by a computer tech.

Edited by trowel, April 09, 2015 - 08:45 PM.

• wilberj said thank you

#33 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 09:21 PM

Sorry to hear about your problem.

I am glad I am retire from working on PCs.  Spent a lot of time cleaning PCs for users where I worked.

I used Spybot, CCleaner, AdvanceSystem Care ( several from them) and others programs to clean the PCs.

I will not use a windows PCs - only a PC with a Linux OS.

Unix and Linux OSs close the door on the OS a long time ago for problem like that.

It is very hard to get viruses on a Unix or Linux OS, but one can if they try real hard.

• trowel and HDWildBill have said thanks

#34 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 11:21 AM

Lyall, I did the same as you cleaning up windows PC's.  I finally got fed up and said no more.  So often it was the same people getting infected over and over again.  Most of the time it was from "Free" software they dl off the internet.  If they want free software switch over to Linux and you can have your cake and eat it too.

For those that may not know, all Linux distributions I know of use what is called Repositories which is a server that houses all the programs that work with that distribution.  Each repository has a maintainer and /or someone who packages up the programs.  So there are all kinds of eyes on the source code and also MD5 sums are used to double check that the compiled software hasn't been messed with.  So what all this means is that Linux users that use the repositories don't have to deal with things like Trowel just went through.  Plus with PCLOS I can request a certain program I may see to be added and if there is no restrictions and no Malware then it may be added.

I've heard that Windows 10 is going to repositories like Linux to add software.  Trouble is I'm not sure how they would deal with $$$ exchange because M$ is all about $$$ and I would not trust M$ with my card info.

• lyall said thank you

#35 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted July 14, 2015 - 03:39 PM

Another vote for malwarebytes.  The best (paid or free) antivirus in my experience is Avast.  I have used the free version for years and never once had an issue along with recommending it to others who report no issues as well.  I have installed it on known infected machines and its been able to find and fix issues that paid antiviruses were not able to.