#1 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,321 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 12:22 AM

Ah yes, one of my favorite times of the year.  Rates right up there with first time mowing or first time running a plow thru the garden. 

Got out to the woods to one of my favorite spost today.    Where I go is on public land near a public lake in rural Kansas City, Mo.  Yes, that is all you need to know about that.  Good mushroom spots are hard to come by and even harder to keep secret.  I usually find at least a couple dozen or more there every year after going several times each year. Mushroom season only lasts for a week or two.  Kind of early here, but you never know.  Just like the lottery, you don't win if you don't hunt....The tally for today was....deer antler sheds, 0 (sometimes I can find sheds in the same places I hunt for mushrooms....my dogs love to chew  on them)   morel mushrooms, 0  (nope, I didn't find even the first one)... ticks, 10...yep, the little buggars are thick this year!

• Bud, Texas Deere and Horse, Talntedmrgreen and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 07:32 AM

It is one of my favorite times of the year too!  We are still a few weeks out, and usually begin dipping our toe int he water around the 3rd full week of april.  By month end, we are rolling in them.  

We go to 'mushroom camp' for one big, 3 day weekend each year...always the last Sat of April (and usually my wedding anniversary get-away).  There are probably 12 or so of us who really look for shrooms, and maybe double that when you count spouses and kids who are just along for the ride.  On a bad year, we will find a hundred or so on Saturday...the day we are at full strength as a group.  Our best year we tallied over 3000 for the weekend.  It was actually challenging to count, and hard to hit all out spots, because the ground was just littered with them everywhere we went.  The weekend ends with floured and fried morels over the fire (with portabellas to fill in if we have a bad hunt)

Prime hunting usually comes a week or so into May up here, and by the 3rd Saturday of May, we have our second Mushroom Party, and do a big steak fry with sauteed morels, enjoy morel soup and fried morels again as a group.  Everyone donates (some) shrooms they have found between the two events.  

I am an avid bowhunter, but to this day, have never found a single shed antler, in all of my days in the woods.  =[

• Texas Deere and Horse, hamman, Delmar and 1 other said thanks

#3 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 07:59 AM

Cant see the ground here yet for mushrooms but #1 son was out snowshoeing for 5 hours and came home with a couple pounds of chaga few weeks ago

Edited by Jazz, April 09, 2015 - 08:00 AM.

• Delmar and oldedeeres have said thanks

#4 M.Cain OFFLINE  

M.Cain
  • Member No: 68107
  • 185 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 09:00 AM

I don't start looking here till around the 4/25 with all the rain I am looking for a good year.
  • Delmar and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,848 Thanks
  • 3,191 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 09:02 AM

Our morels are usually found around the middle of May depending on the year of course. I go shed wandering as soon as the snow is gone, and that varies as well. Ariba, the German Shepherd, is especially good at finding them and brings them right to me. "Go find" is a wonderful command! I wish she was as interested in the morels as she is in antlers, lol. Have never been out and not found a shed, sometimes both antlers will be laying there exactly as they fell off the deer, a skull width apart.

• Delmar said thank you

#6 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,321 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 05:34 PM

I went out hunting for mushrooms again today to another favorite place of mine.  My brother and I own some land near my hometown of Warrensburg, Mo.  Awesome day to be in the woods!   I did find one Painted Box turtle, out and about.  No doubt looking for the same mushrooms I was looking for!   I did not find and sheds or mushrooms, and no ticks this time either.  I used bug spray this time.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#7 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,321 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 07:57 AM

:dancingbanana:  found morels!!!    sort of....in a fellow craig lister's back yard!  they didn't know what they were, never had eaten them before, and were not going to anytime soon either.  So he let me have them...about 30 or 40 of the blondes...3-4 inches tall.   cooking them up tonight!

• KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#8 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 10:45 AM

Is that what these 2 are?

2015-04-16 10.40.25.jpg     2015-04-16 10.40.41.jpg

• Texas Deere and Horse, Delmar and oldedeeres have said thanks

#9 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,705 Thanks
  • 8,894 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 10:50 AM

Break out the butter and frying pan Kenny, you've got a winner. Give em another day or two.
  • KennyP said thank you

#10 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 01:08 PM

If someone can post how to fix them, I'll give them a try! I like sauteed mushrooms!

#11 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,240 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 01:41 PM

Went out looking last night at the camp in WV.  Didn't find any but I found a HUGE area of ramps!  Didn't pick any last night, but going to go tonight and grab some.

#12 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,321 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted April 17, 2015 - 08:06 AM

thump mushroom with your finger....pinch off at ground or cut off at ground. pick all you find or a sackful or whatever and when you are done take them to the kitchen sink, rinse off dirt and debris and bugs, split in half top to bottom and put all you found of a bowl, fill with water to remove more dirt and bugs, let sit in the fridge until you are ready to cook.   they can sit in the fridge for a day or 2 if necessary, or be cooked right away. 

take the mushrooms out of the bowl and place them on paper towels to dry,,,pat lightly with  paper towels to complete drying.

gather up some butter for frying,, saltine cracker crumbs, milk, eggs.  Crush the crackers...make those cracker crumbs fine as ever and put them in a bowl,  mix a couple of eggs and a little milk in a bowl, heat up some butter in a frying pan to cook mushrooms in.  take the mushroom and put in the egg dip, shake it off a little, roll it around in the cracker crumbs, then put it in the frying pan when the butter is hot enough to sizzle with the entry of the mushroom.  continue until your frying pan is full.  let them  cook a few minutes until they brown up a little, then turn them over and let them brown on the other side.  They are delicate little buggars at this point, take care when turning.  when browned on both sides, place them on paper towels, salt and pepper to taste, and let cool.  then eat!

Edited by Delmar, April 18, 2015 - 09:51 AM.

• KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#13 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,848 Thanks
  • 3,191 posts

Posted April 17, 2015 - 11:04 PM

I go through the same cleaning procedure, but have taken the BIG ones whole, stuffed a cleaned, small shrimp up the hollow stem, fried them in garlic butter and served them on rice with the garlic butter drizzled over it all. As usual, the no calories rule applies to recipes on GTT.
  • KennyP and Delmar have said thanks

#14 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 17, 2015 - 11:13 PM

If someone can post how to fix them, I'll give them a try! I like sauteed mushrooms!

Kenny , you can batter them and fry them up with eggs and flower. Cook until almost crispy and eat with scrambled eggs or along. You can also saute them and eat them just like button mushrooms.

Nothing better !!

Just found out they find these just about a hr north of me here in TX, so next year I'll be on the look out for them for sure !!

• KennyP and Delmar have said thanks

#15 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted April 18, 2015 - 04:58 AM

Well, I screwed those two up. Got to cleaning old leaves up and stepped on both of them! But, I know what they look like now.

• Texas Deere and Horse and Delmar have said thanks