Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

anyone know about electric trailer brakes?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted April 08, 2015 - 09:47 PM

working on someone else's junk here. without getting into what a mess the whole trailer was, and what-all I have had to do to it to get it legal and roadworthy, I just have a couple questions about "this" part of the project;

This thing is your typical neglected 16' car trailer, and it has a tandem axle, and has brakes just on the front axle.  To me I would think that is backwards, If only 1 axle has them I would think you would want it to be the rear axle. 

Other question, When adjusting the shoes to the drum do you want them "tight" (yeah I know not dragging, just "close")   or should they be a little loose? This being asked, as compared to how you'd adjust up a car or pickemup truck's drum brakes.

How would this adjustment affect the way you'd set the thumbwheel on the brake box inside the cab? (if at all)

• Bud, gopher, tinbender7 and 1 other said thanks

#2 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,769 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted April 08, 2015 - 10:28 PM

NO the front axle is the proper one. If the weight shifts forward the rear axle will loose traction. I have a buddy who has brakes on his rear axle and it is a handfull at times.

I set the drums like I would any other vehicle and then use the controller to adjust it.

• gopher, tinbender7, dodge trucker and 1 other said thanks

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted April 08, 2015 - 10:53 PM

I run mine just so you can hear them rub, not drag.
I've never seen a tandem with only 1 set of brake, pretty sure PennDOT would have an issue with it. They're retentive about some things
  • tinbender7 said thank you

#4 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,769 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted April 08, 2015 - 10:58 PM

In NC a lighter trailer can have just one braking axle. A heavier one must have dual brakes. My black car trailer has one axle - the green heavy equipment trailer has both.

• MH81 and tinbender7 have said thanks

#5 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted April 08, 2015 - 11:33 PM

I have my brakes on one axle and it's the rear axle. The reason being on slippery conditions I want the front axle to keep the trailer tracking straight when braking. Been running this way on ice, snow, and just about everything else. Have had zero problems with tracking over the years. This is just my experience and yours may differ. 

#6 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 03:13 AM

My trailers  have them on the front ,store bought and home made.I set mine like MH81 says,just a light rub.Trailer brakes are all over the map with the DOT of each state,whats legal here might be illegal when I cross the border same goes with plates and title for trailer.

• tinbender7 and KC9KAS have said thanks

#7 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 03:15 AM

First, most trailer brakes don't have SHOES like a car/truck. Most have a PUCK that comes into contact with the smoorh surface on drum sides by magnetism from the electric force applied.  Controls adjust how much current the magnet is gonna get for stopping force.  Indiana require one axle brakes on two wheel trailers, untill bigger. My equipment trailer has two axles with magnets, most car hauler trailers only have one. Which one, never thought about it. Not sure if the magnet type brakes have much adjustment if any, have'nt really needed to to that on any I've had as of yet at least. Think it comes to point when the brake PUCK wears down to much and just doesn't stop well. You replace the Puck, that's it! 

Perhaps I don't know how they work really. Puck pulling on shoes, yep, maybe that is it. My error on posting when not understanding I guess. What little use most trailers get, they usually go bad from rusting up and other corroding problems before wearing out.  My trailer sits in yard 85% of it's life, getting rusty, floor warping up and or rotting and tires going flat.  Only gets used in summer for few tractor shows.  Have had to repair bed, buy all new tires last year and repaint once, and needs that again in the short time I've had it!  BUT, if sold, would want it again and buy another. Kind of like tractor disease, only is trailer disease!

Edited by glgrumpy, April 09, 2015 - 05:57 PM.

#8 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 03:48 AM

The electric brakes I have the Magnet when energized pulls out to the face of the drum and energizes the brake shoes and they adjust the same as automotive type drum brakes and yes it does wear out.Many times its cheaper to replace the whole works with a new loaded brake backing plate and drum if needed.

#9 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 04:13 AM

I just purchased a factory 18' "car hauler"

It was advertized as "DOT compliant, but I have found it to be short on the correct lights and locations.

Indiana law says "trailers over 2000 GVW have to have brakes "capable" of stopping the maximun load" being 7000 pounds in my case. Doesn't say 1 or 2 axles for the brakes.

My brakes are not working now, and I need to trouble shoot the controller to rule it out.

#10 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 05:21 AM

dodge trucker , you might want to find out which model brake controller your working on , the ones I have worked on had different knobs/controls but still work pretty much the same , , the current ones we use here at work , get the level set on the controller first ( you don't need the trailer hooked up but be on a level spot ) the second control ( sometimes called GAIN )   will need to have the trailer hooked up so you can set the amount of voltage ( braking power so to speak )   too much and the trailer brakes lock up to little and not helping . I'll take a test drive to set that .  That control is helpful when your running empty vs a full load . My own on my truck used for pulling my camper has a sliding control for manually apply the trailer brakes  too .

• MH81 and tinbender7 have said thanks

#11 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,518 Thanks
  • 3,393 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 06:19 AM

Here standard setup is brakes on the front axle, as stated by others just normal drum type adjustment.

#12 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 07:40 AM

GL, what does that magnetic puck do?....it engages the system and pushes out the SHOES, I have the same set up on mine, fron axle. The magnet does get worn, but you still have shoes that push against a drum.

Mine work whenever they want to which is usually never. My controller with work manually, but shuts off when I hit brakes, something internal me thinks.

#13 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 05:06 PM

yes they do still have shoes like a car or truck, the magnet is in place of a wheel cylinder that youd find on a car. I know how they work and how the box works, just wasnt sure on the initial shoe adjustment.

I have a brand new reese control box on my Durango  while my son has an ancient K-H box on his truck. both have a thumbwheel for the gain adjust and a manual knob that you can activate just the trailer brakes without activating the tow vehicle brakes.

#14 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,518 Thanks
  • 3,393 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 06:22 AM

My new brake controller,(about 6 years old), has a slide adjustment instead of a wheel and is much less sensitive to sudden braking than my older ones were.

• dodge trucker said thank you