• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cnsolutions OFFLINE  

cnsolutions
  • Member No: 68975
  • 5 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted April 08, 2015 - 12:43 PM

I need some opinions on a JD 111 I have one sitting here it looks rough but I don't know if it runs because it needs a starter are they good tractors and should I start repairing it?  I know there are some models out there that are not worth putting the money into.

• A.C.T. and larisaPn have said thanks

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,737 Thanks
  • 8,912 posts

Posted April 08, 2015 - 04:37 PM

Arguably, the 111 is one of the JD LT's not worth sinking money into.

On the starter issue, is it not engaging when you hit the key? Got power, but the starter just won't go? If it is, it's a relay issue not necessarily the starter.

IMO, I wouldn't pay more than $150 for a complete, non-running, 111.

#3 truck21 ONLINE  

truck21

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2813
  • 431 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted April 08, 2015 - 04:42 PM

I guess it depends what you want to do with it. I think they are a lawn tractor so mowing and maybe light snow plowing will be it`s limits. I have a JD 112L that I put more money into then I wanted but they only made them one year, plus my wife claimed it as her tractor. HAPPY WIFE HAPPY LIFE.....RIGHT!!!!!

Don

• Trav1s and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 cnsolutions OFFLINE  

cnsolutions
  • Member No: 68975
  • 5 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted April 08, 2015 - 06:23 PM

The starter was seized up so I pulled it apart and all the magnets came off.  I only would use it for mowing I have plenty of other equipment including a S220 Bobcat, IHI 35NX2 Excavator, Allmand TLB25 Backhoe, Cub Cadet 2284 Tractor and a Ford 661 Tractor.  My father in law has left this thing outside for the last number of years and he never used it a friend of his gave it to him.  I'm just trying to figure out if its worth playing with.

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,788 Thanks
  • 7,540 posts

Posted April 08, 2015 - 07:15 PM

The starter was seized up so I pulled it apart and all the magnets came off.  I only would use it for mowing I have plenty of other equipment including a S220 Bobcat, IHI 35NX2 Excavator, Allmand TLB25 Backhoe, Cub Cadet 2284 Tractor and a Ford 661 Tractor.  My father in law has left this thing outside for the last number of years and he never used it a friend of his gave it to him.  I'm just trying to figure out if its worth playing with.

Yes, play with it. It is a learning experience. Scavenge a starter off another B&S engine and have a go. I bought a non running JD111 for $85 seven years ago. I cleanned the carb and fuel system. With a new battery and routine maintenance it has mowed the yard for 5 of those years. Two years ago I had to weld up the deck and mounts. It is easy to operate and I like the bagger. All the clippings go into the compost pile. Whatever you decide, Good Luck, Rick