8 replies to this topic

#1 aevansgatech OFFLINE  

aevansgatech
  • Member No: 62323
  • 213 Thanks
  • 261 posts

Posted April 08, 2015 - 09:17 AM

Hey guys,

I've noticed there's not a lot of events for us guys in Michigan, and there's a perfect location for one in White Lake, MI. It's a historic farm, with some open space and vintage tractors/implements. I've proposed the idea to White Lake Historical Society and they like it so far. I'd like to show them there is a real interest in having a garden tractor event!

If you're nearby or think you would be interested, comment below and let me know!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428502610.504280.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428502631.271679.jpg

• hamman and Talntedmrgreen have said thanks

#2 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,579 posts

Posted April 08, 2015 - 09:25 AM

Quite a trek for me and some machines, but I hope guys in that area can get together to make it happen. Good luck would like to see this.                       Roger

#3 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted April 08, 2015 - 11:44 AM

I would be interested and attendance would depend on date. Its a little over 2hrs, and I dont think I would bring the whole fleet, but 1 for sure, 3 or 4 if things worked out where I could spend the day.

#4 aevansgatech OFFLINE  

aevansgatech
  • 213 Thanks
  • 261 posts

Posted April 08, 2015 - 12:09 PM

Great! It's far from being set in stone, but if I can show them that some people are already willing to consider it, it should make the event more likely to happen.

#5 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,716 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted April 08, 2015 - 03:13 PM

Would you try to do it yet this summer or would it be a next year thing? Do they have any other events out there that this could go with?

#6 aevansgatech OFFLINE  

aevansgatech
  • 213 Thanks
  • 261 posts

Posted April 08, 2015 - 03:26 PM

It's a great venue, but they don't really have many events. There was an Easter festival, there's a farm stand for produce during the summer, and there's a bigger festival in September.

The September festival is mainly a display for craftsmen and people showing historic techniques (carpentry, rope-winding, blacksmith, etc).

I'm pitching them the idea for this summer, so hopefully it will happen

#7 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,716 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 07:02 AM

You might want to consider the September event, at least for the first one. I suppose it would depend what kind of event you are looking for. Plow days are popular. Would they have ground that could be plowed in the summer? If they grow produce on the site maybe they would have empty ground in the fall to do some plowing and then plan a plow day for spring to finish the ground for planting. If you are just planning a show, you need enough to draw a good crowd. You also need to think about restroom facilities/porta-johns. You need advertising, food vendors, and enough of an attraction to bring the public out to look. Will the farm's liability insurance cover the event? Not trying to put a damper on your plans, I think it sounds good. It's just some thoughts from someone that's been involved in setting up shows. It does get more involved than just a few guys bringing out tractors but you have to start somewhere. Good Luck with the venture.

• aevansgatech said thank you

#8 aevansgatech OFFLINE  

aevansgatech
  • 213 Thanks
  • 261 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 08:22 AM

Hey Doug,

I appreciate the ideas! Unfortunately there's not much land and there's no operable farm there anymore, so a plow day would be out of the question. I'd still like to attend one somewhere else sometime.

But you're right, it may be better to try and get in with the September festival the first year. I know they will have bathrooms, tickets, concessions, and such already prepared for the festival
  • DougT said thank you

#9 aevansgatech OFFLINE  

aevansgatech
  • 213 Thanks
  • 261 posts

Posted May 19, 2015 - 11:53 AM

Alright guys,

My proposal to add vintage tractor exhibition to the annual September festival has been approved!

September 12-13, 2015 will be the 30th Annual Kelley-Fisk Farm Festival in White Lake, Michigan. We'd like to welcome out vintage tractors of all makes and models. This is a fun family event complete with pioneer women re-enactments, historic craftsmen exhibitions, food, and more. More info on the farm and White Lake Historical society can be found here:

http://www.hsmichiga...itelake/events/

A story about the farm's history can be found here:

http://www.hsmichiga...-Farm-House.pdf

I've put together an advertisement with all the relevant info and will be gathering interest at other shows and events (mainly Buckley Old Engine show in northern Michigan). The Fisk Festival welcomes anyone to show their tractor FREE of charge.

I will create a separate Event thread as well

wqwqh4.jpg