John Deere 110 valves

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 oliver2655 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 26808
  • 37 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted April 07, 2015 - 09:02 PM

Does anyone know what the specs on the valves are for the kohler K-181? id like to know how long the valves are so i can detirmine if my tappets are bad or if my valves are worn. there is a loud ticking noise and the valve to tappet gap is waaay out of tolerance. so id like to figure out if my problem is worn valves or tappets. or is it possible my camshaft is worn? :wallbanging:  sadly these tappets arent adjustable unlike the larger K series motors. thanks for anyones input!

• larisaPn said thank you

#2 lyall OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,709 Thanks
  • 1,382 posts

Posted April 07, 2015 - 09:58 PM

the tapper clearance for the intake valve is .006 to .008 cold

for the exhaust valve is .017 to .019 cold

if you have not downloaded a Kohler manual go the the manual section and got the manual - the specs are there

or click on the following link and it will take you to the service manual for the Kohler motors http://gardentractor...file/1753-k91-to-k341-service-manual/

• Alc said thank you

#3 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 08:27 AM

Tappets usually don't wear on the ends in the k series. You might see wear on the face (where the tappet rides the cam) - but that should be visible or you can feel it. Same with cams - look for scoring/gauling on the lift face of the lobe. The manual basically says to look for gross abnormalities that are plainly visible.. 

Valves USUALLY tighten the gap with wear - valve/seat wears, lowering the valve - closing gap, not increase in gap....

Check for carbon buildup on the seats/valves - that could increase your gap. Or a sticking valve guide, or malfunctioning ACR.

If everything is ok, doing a valve job (cutting the valve and seat) will decrease your gap, but may not be enough. Easiest cure is new valves - you grind the valve ends down to fit - so go slow!!! You can't put metal back....