Leak at flange in front of differential

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zuren OFFLINE  

• Member No: 65629
  • 33 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted April 07, 2015 - 01:49 PM

Last night I had my 1618 (with dual trans.) connected to a trailer backed up to the garage so I can take a load of stuff to the dump.  My driveway is sloped so the rear of the tractor was higher than the front.  I noticed I had a fairly significant leak at the flange between the differential and rear transmission.  I'm guessing due to the pitch, diff. fluid ran into the tube and found a way out.

Should there be a gasket in there to keep fluid in?  I'm looking to learn what is involved to repair something like this.

#2 EconChuck OFFLINE  

• Member No: 18979
  • 245 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted April 07, 2015 - 07:55 PM

There should be a gasket between the driveshaft tube and the rear differential.
Unfortunately there is no oil seal in the pinion area of the dif, so outflow of 90w can occur.
Good luck.
  • MNGB said thank you

#3 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,137 Thanks
  • 2,269 posts

Posted April 08, 2015 - 07:23 AM

To add to what Chuck has told you, most times when there is a leak like this, its because the transmission has too much oil in it.  Lots of people like to fill these trannys until the oil runs out of the fill hole on the side.  That's way too much and leads to the leakage you are experiencing.  You should have no more than one half pint of oil in the tranny.  If you stick your little finger in the side hole and bend it down, you should just touch the top of the oil.  Use STP in the tranny to quiet some of the grinding.  What GL says is true about the shifting but it doesn't have to stay that way.  As you become more familiar with the tractor you will learn how to shift with minimal grinding.  Embrace the grinding.  It's normal and will, more than likely, never go away totally.

• MNGB said thank you

#4 countryboy88 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8702
  • 76 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 08:26 PM

If you want to add a gasket you will have to split the tractor. How involved that will be will depend on what year your tractor was made, basically how much sheet metal you have to remove. Here are some pics of my Jim Dandy when I added the second trans. 

tandom trans3.jpg
tandom trans.jpg

• Alc and MNGB have said thanks

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,484 Thanks
  • 6,362 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 10:32 AM

I was gonna say trans too full, someone got that. the older bearings are not sealed and trans oil can get out when angled and run down the shaft tubes. If you ever tear-down, put sealed bearings in the trans.  those gaskets at the joints aren't much,  pretty thin. And, if chance whole driveline isn't bolted up straight, joints can leak. Might go along and try to snug all the bolts, not too great to break, just check for tightness. Seems any PK I've owned leaks a little in many spots, just like the old BIG tractors used to. Keeps the rust down, heh!