13 replies to this topic

#1 gapper OFFLINE  

gapper

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2232
  • 5 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted March 18, 2011 - 12:43 PM

:mecry:I went to the scrap yard today to cash in on some old junk metal i collected this past week. As i was unloading my trailer another truck backed in beside me. I was not paying much attention to the the young man unloading this truck. He finished unloading before me and pulled away to go back on the scales. i continued to unload my trailer and as i did i seen a LARGE trackhoe heading for the pile of things that young man had just unloaded. As i quickly scanned the pile, I seen what looked to be a very nice JD lawn trailer being run over by the trackhoe. If i had only been a little more nosy and seen it sooner i could have saved it!!! Now i can only sit here and say WHY!!!! Why would someone trash something for pennies when with just a little more effort and a free posting somewhere could have gotten so much more???

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 18, 2011 - 07:12 PM

:mecry:I went to the scrap yard today to cash in on some old junk metal i collected this past week. As i was unloading my trailer another truck backed in beside me. I was not paying much attention to the the young man unloading this truck. He finished unloading before me and pulled away to go back on the scales. i continued to unload my trailer and as i did i seen a LARGE trackhoe heading for the pile of things that young man had just unloaded. As i quickly scanned the pile, I seen what looked to be a very nice JD lawn trailer being run over by the trackhoe. If i had only been a little more nosy and seen it sooner i could have saved it!!! Now i can only sit here and say WHY!!!! Why would someone trash something for pennies when with just a little more effort and a free posting somewhere could have gotten so much more???

That sucks, it is amazing how some could care less and don't think about somethings value. Even if it isn't a whole lot, it could mean the world to someone else. As the old saying goes: "One man's garbage is another man's treasure".

Might have to start being more nosy LOL.

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 18, 2011 - 07:13 PM

This wasn't at J&K Salvage was it?

#4 gapper OFFLINE  

gapper

• Contributor
  • 5 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted March 18, 2011 - 07:27 PM

Sure was at J&K , It was not you by chance was it? LOL

#5 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted March 18, 2011 - 08:45 PM

One of the unfortunate things happening is that during house reposessions people just walk away from good stuff. Other people are paid to just haul away "debris" to make the house sellable. My BIL does some of this but he has an eye for salvage.

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 18, 2011 - 08:46 PM

LOL, wasn't me. I just seen you were from York and I think there are only two places anymore to take stuff for scrap. I am in Dover.

#7 metalwiz OFFLINE  

metalwiz

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1930
  • 10 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted March 18, 2011 - 10:33 PM

With the price of metal these days, some folks in my part of the country are stealing anything of metal, indiscriminately. Police sit across from the processing plant and just haul them to jail. Just last week someone stole 87 city manhole covers with a retail cost of about $110 ea. Worst was the 110 brass flower vases from a local cemetery. That guy was busted yesterday as he pulled up to the scalehouse. These folks could care less what it is, or what its value is to someone else!

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted March 18, 2011 - 10:56 PM

Last year we had a rash of area cemeteries getting hit on Veteran's day, Memorial Day, etc... any weekend when all the Brass Military Memorial markers were out. I don't think they ever caught the perps, but I sure hope they have a tolerance for heat. When the final judgement comes, the tickets will be for much warmer climates.

#9 gapper OFFLINE  

gapper

• Contributor
  • 5 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted March 19, 2011 - 01:40 PM

I know times are bad, I have been layed off for 6 months now. But that is no reason to steel from anyone!!! I had some scrap stollen from my home a few years back when the price of metal was up the last time.
I just don't understand why someone would scrap things that are worth so much more. I was at a farm auction today and the scrappers where there to buy up good usable equipment to scrap. Being out of work myself i was not able to buy anything to save it from the scrap pile but i was glad to see that another person was able to buy the only GT up for sale. It was in very bad shape( cub cadet 14?? hydro) For the price the man paid he must have been a collector or looking to part it out.

#10 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 535
  • 477 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted March 20, 2011 - 12:04 PM

Hey gapper better be carefull. I think you cought the tractor bug.

#11 gapper OFFLINE  

gapper

• Contributor
  • 5 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted March 20, 2011 - 05:17 PM

I am VERY sure the BUG bit me!!! LOL

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,421 Thanks
  • 39,670 posts

Posted March 20, 2011 - 06:10 PM

Trying to get anything out of a scrap yard here is kinda like getting a gram of gold out of Fort Knox.

KennyP

#13 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 20, 2011 - 09:08 PM

That Wards twowheel tractor I saved last month from the scrap yard, was on a guys truck at the gas station in my town. I asked him to come to my place, and I would unload it, pay him 50% more than scrap, And he told me if I wanted it, I had better follow him to the yard 25 miles away to get it. So he lost money and it cost me more money, that scrap yard charges double to buy back then what they pay. Oh well, I followed him and brought it back home.

#14 spam OFFLINE  

spam

• Member No: 2482
  • 2 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted March 29, 2011 - 08:22 PM

Being the cheap wad tight fisted money budgeted thrifty kind of guy (ain't married cause it costs too much) it truely makes me wonder why some people gotta have the latest shinniest new machine when a repair will work just fine.