18 replies to this topic

#16 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 53758
  • 376 Thanks
  • 392 posts

Posted April 08, 2015 - 12:20 PM

I have some flat stock, I think that is what I will do. The sleeve hitch I have could go to a new home where it will be loved! Not hacked into something else.
  • Sawdust said thank you

#17 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted April 08, 2015 - 12:54 PM

I wouldn't give up on that nice rod you made.  When you get the right hitch that rod may just be what you need for it.  Have you thought of building your own sleeve hitch from the plan found here?  I had one made from those plans and it worked out great for my 1053.  Only tip I might add would be to make a cut 2/3 way through at the bend points.  When you have it all bent at the right angle, clamp it and weld the bends shut, then dress the weld down.  Much, much easier that trying to bend that heavy iron at precisely the right spot to make everything come together.  Just my 2 cents worth.  Good luck.

That's exactly what I did.. Tried to bend the 3/8 in. stock and about tipped my work bench over.. :wallbanging:    saw it part way thru and heat and bend... makes a better bends 

#18 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 53758
  • 376 Thanks
  • 392 posts

Posted April 08, 2015 - 11:49 PM

Did you heat it good? If you put it I a vise and heat it up red hot , it will bend. A big fat hammer helps too..
The rod I just made started as a piece of round stock. I heated it with a cutting torch till it was bright red and then beat it with a big hammer until I got the end flat like I wanted. I have a flat spot on my vise that worked well. I did have to heat it a few times to get the metal how you want it.
After that is just a little clean up with a grinder, and paint.
  • sodisr and Sawdust have said thanks

#19 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 12:11 PM

IMG_1435.JPG IMG_1436.JPG IMG_1438.JPG IMG_1439.JPG

That's exactly what I did.. Tried to bend the 3/8 in. stock and about tipped my work bench over.. :wallbanging:    saw it part way thru and heat and bend... makes a better bends 

Finally got some pics of my briney

• Sawdust said thank you