• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Catfish55 OFFLINE  

Catfish55
  • Member No: 69230
  • 9 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted April 06, 2015 - 07:10 PM

Hi folks, I'm new to this garden tractor thing, but I recently bought 2 acres and needed something to mow with. Running across some local listings, I found this little guy and it comes with more attachments that I would use other than just the mower deck. Its in the ball park of what I figured I was gonna have to spend for a newer used mower, plus I just think its a kinda cool. 

Fella is asking $1800 for it, and it comes with the drag blade, double row disker, single drop plow, mower deck, and 5 tine chipper. I just don't know if that's a deal or a rip off, but I would definitely use the drag blade, and disker in addition to the mower deck. Any thoughts or inputs would be greatly appreciated.

mower1_zpsyz2jjdrd.jpg

mower6_zpstduyn89d.jpg

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, hamman and 5 others have said thanks

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted April 06, 2015 - 07:21 PM

Welcome to GTTalk!
  • A.C.T. said thank you

#3 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted April 06, 2015 - 10:52 PM

Welcome!  You have the advantage of seeing this GT. Based on pictures, this Ranger looks real good. Personally price seems high. Take the JD seat off and about $600.

• Catfish55 said thank you

#4 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted April 07, 2015 - 04:11 AM

:welcometogttalk: , I don't know much about that brand, but it looks to be in good shape and the attachments are worth a lot. I agree...loose the JD seat! :bigrofl:

#5 greenb69 OFFLINE  

greenb69
  • Member No: 65681
  • 268 Thanks
  • 210 posts

Posted April 07, 2015 - 04:47 AM

Welcome to GTtalk. It looks like a very solid GT and nice attachments. I think the asking price is at the top of the range. See if you can get him down some. I have seen Gt's without the attachments go for his asking price. Look it over real good.

#6 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted April 07, 2015 - 06:06 AM

Welcome to GTT. I think that tractor is an MTD that was sold under a different brand. Several of the members have them. That one does have desirable attachments but it seems to be over priced to me. Your location does affect the value. I am not able to evaluate the true condition of it but it is around 40 years old and could have alot of worn parts. IF it was in excellant condition throughout, the price might be worth it. Download the manual for it from our Manuals Section(3 for free per day) and learn more about it. Learn how to evaluate the condition of the engine, transmisson, chasis, and other components. Good Luck, Rick

Try this manual   http://gardentractor.../3614-145-990a/   . You will also need a separate manual for the engine.

Edited by boyscout862, April 07, 2015 - 06:18 AM.

#7 forest_road OFFLINE  

forest_road
  • Member No: 69262
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted April 07, 2015 - 01:43 PM

Welcome to GTT! Looks like a nice machine. Don't know anything about that brand. I'm a Wheel Horse fan myself. There are thousands of them out there. They're prob one of the easiest GTs to work on, they're extremely reliable. Parts and accessories are plentiful. Parts are also easily available from Toro dealers.

#8 Catfish55 OFFLINE  

Catfish55
  • Member No: 69230
  • 9 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted April 08, 2015 - 02:28 PM

I appreciate all the inputs! putting the suggestions to good use and I'll be going to check it out tomorrow

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#9 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 08, 2015 - 02:49 PM

Welcome Catfish to GTtalk. That is a MTD 990 sold thru a Texas based Hardware chain called White's Hardware. I have the same tractor and they are a very capable gt for anything you want to do. Check the steering for slop where the steering shaft goes down the the pinion gear at the frame, mine will slip or skip if trying to turn very hard. Also something to look at, but not hard to fix is there is a hole in the frame rail just ahead of the trans axle under the right side running board that can get stress cracks in the corners, may sure it's OK and you don't have to get it welded back up. 

Here's a link to my 990 when I bought it and it has some good info in it about things to look for,

http://gardentractor...o-me/?hl= white

BTW, I think he's 600 high myself, but I'm cheap. I gave 350.00 for mine with a 42" mower deck and 3 PT hitch on it. You do have about 300 to 400 in those Ag tires that are on it to figure in that I didn't take into account.

• KennyP said thank you