• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 luvins a cummins OFFLINE  

luvins a cummins

• Member No: 2298
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted March 18, 2011 - 11:11 AM

hello, i am new here, but i do have an awesome tractor. its a bolens G10. my friends think the tranny is boogered up, but I say it is just stuck in gear. when you push it, 1 wheel spins backward, and the other goes forward. also, there is pins that are on the right axle, and it looks like a difflock, but im not sure. ok enough on the tranny. with the starter, its a Delco-Remy starter/generator, when it is hooked up to a battery charger, if you try to crank it, the starter turns once, and just humms. idk if its shot or what. please help me. i dont want to spend a ton of money on it either, thanks

#2 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted March 18, 2011 - 11:32 AM

The pin on the right is the free wheeling pin.Slide the pin out and you can roll the tractor.has to be in to drive tractor.As for the generator is sounds like it is weak or motor is tight.Does it slip in the belt any?

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted March 18, 2011 - 08:07 PM

The pin on the right is the free wheeling pin.Slide the pin out and you can roll the tractor.has to be in to drive tractor.As for the generator is sounds like it is weak or motor is tight.Does it slip in the belt any?

:ditto:

Untitled (15).jpg
This may help

#4 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,918 posts

Posted March 18, 2011 - 08:44 PM

If you are trying to boost start the tractor with an old and dead battery that has been setting in the tractor, the junk battery will rob all of your amps from the charger and the starter will not get enough juice to roll the engine over. I was given a G9 that the guy said must be "half locked up because it wouldn't turn over fast enough to start". as soon as he left I put in a good hot battery and it fired right up. He didn't want to invest in a new battery until he knew it would run. GOOD LUCK!

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted March 18, 2011 - 09:11 PM

If you are trying to boost start the tractor with an old and dead battery that has been setting in the tractor, the junk battery will rob all of your amps from the charger and the starter will not get enough juice to roll the engine over. I was given a G9 that the guy said must be "half locked up because it wouldn't turn over fast enough to start". as soon as he left I put in a good hot battery and it fired right up. He didn't want to invest in a new battery until he knew it would run. GOOD LUCK!

I use one of those booster packs. Disconnect one terminal, hook up the cables & turn it on. The best thing about doing this is you can turn the pack on & off quickly if something is wrong. (sticky solenoid, bad wiring, etc). This is the one I've had for 4 or 5 years now. http://http://www.ha...pply-38391.html

Edited by MH81, March 18, 2011 - 09:18 PM.

#6 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,918 posts

Posted March 18, 2011 - 09:25 PM

great point with the booster pack MH81! I might also add that a consumer grade 10 amp battery charger won't turn the engine over anyhow - theres just not enough umph.

#7 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted March 19, 2011 - 04:52 AM

I use one of those booster packs. Disconnect one terminal, hook up the cables & turn it on. The best thing about doing this is you can turn the pack on & off quickly if something is wrong. (sticky solenoid, bad wiring, etc). This is the one I've had for 4 or 5 years now. http://http://www.ha...pply-38391.html

Great Idea!!

BTW... Your link did not work....

#8 Big John OFFLINE  

Big John

• Member No: 1450
  • 21 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted March 19, 2011 - 12:55 PM

If a good battery doesn't help, those Delco starter-generators are notorious for eating
brushes & bearings because of the rpm they turn when running as a generator. Because
of that, I try to avoid using them if at all possible.

#9 luvins a cummins OFFLINE  

luvins a cummins

• Member No: 2298
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 04, 2011 - 01:20 PM

I do not have the turnable hub shown in the picture, i dont know why

#10 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted August 04, 2011 - 07:03 PM

I do not have the turnable hub shown in the picture, i dont know why

Most G10's did not come with a locking differential. That is why yours does not have one.
Only the last year of production G10's used the locking differential

#11 JJuday OFFLINE  

JJuday

• Member No: 5194
  • 4 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted August 07, 2011 - 09:03 PM

I just bought a G 10 this morning. Unfortunatly it's a straight 3 spd and no diff lock either. I went there to snag a 1050 with a deck and some other Bolens enthusiests beat me to the punch and I had to settle for the G 10 instead. Early bird gets the worm.

#12 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted August 08, 2011 - 09:14 AM

The G10 does have a hi-low range. However you can't change from hi to low from the seat.

You have to shut down the tractor, and then manually move the belt from one set of pullys to the other.