Now that the transmission is squared away it's time to get back to fixing the minor things I noted when first looked at the tractor. The light switch was froze, I wanted to relocate the ground cable to a better spot and I needed to free up the front axle pivot which was also froze.
The light switch was replaced with a heavy duty one I had on hand. The ground cable was installed between the dash and the frame originally and it's been found to be an issue with dash cracks and in general bad connections. The fix is to drill a hole in the frame and relocate the cable.
I had to beat the axle pivot pin out which took quite a bit of time but once out I cleaned up the old grease and rust it was still usable.
I did find the zerk fitting had been sheared off at some point so that too needed attention. I used an easy out to remove the remnant and installed a new fitting.
Reinstalled the front axle and all is well.