22 replies to this topic

#16 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 11:17 PM

Ok, I know I said last post, but I wanted to throw in a few pictures about bending the 3 point arms. Not technically part of the repower, but while I was on a roll.....

I worked off a set of dimensions I had from an original LGT set of 3 point arms. I don't remember who to thank here, but thanks!!!!

Lots of ways to bend steel - I used 1/2 x 2" bar for my arms. I had a set of dies I had made many years ago, and just used my press to bend the steel. A 30 ton press makes pretty quick work of bending steel! Once I made the first one, the second was just a copy of the original....

20150421_184428.jpg 20150421_180525.jpg 20150421_180713.jpg 20150421_182359.jpg 20150421_182819.jpg

As to getting my angles for the bends, basically, you make 2 45 Degree bends so both ends of the arm are parallel to each other. I used a welding magnet to ball-park the angle, then just clamped a piece of bar to one leg and measured for equal distance along the bar. Much simpler than it sounds!
In the first picture, the angles are not quite right yet, as you can see. One more tweek, and picture 2 - we are good!
20150421_181018.jpg 20150421_181336.jpg

Ran out of time to get my lift arms done. Then going to weld everything up and powder coat them before installing. More pictures in a few weeks when it is done....
  • wvbuzzmaster, Chopperhed and Ghis1964 have said thanks

#17 Ghis1964 ONLINE  

Ghis1964
  • Member No: 61711
  • 3 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 05:26 PM

Ok, if someone wants to put a GX340 Honda inthere, what the hell I'm getting myself into?

• Chopperhed said thank you

#18 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 07:10 PM

Ok, if someone wants to put a GX340 Honda inthere, what the hell I'm getting myself into?

I stuffed a 13 hp  Princess Auto GX390 Clone into a open side LGT165.  The biggest issue for me  was the driveshaft adapter.  My 76 had a flat plate for engine mount. The original crankcase bolted to that. With mine, the mounting adapter plate has to be less than 3/8" thick to prevent interference with the steering box. For correct rotation, the driveshaft adapter has to bolt to the flywheel leaving the output shaft available for PTO or other things. Make sure you have the electric start installed I removed the pull start, and used the original pull start cover as a guard for the driveshaft adapter. There are some wiring issues as the clones have a different charge system. If you want more than 3 amps, you will need some mods. Stock PTO's will NOT work, but a custom unit could be fitted.

As for body work, it depends on How much you are willing to cut up. I had to make a custom stack and air filter setup to make it work on an open side tractor, I have no idea what it would take on a newer model. The Hondas and clones, have a angled cylinder setup that (when combined with their factory tank and muffler setup) will not fit under stock sheet metal. If you need some pics check out this thread.

http://gardentractor...ler-conversion/

Edited by Chopperhed, May 17, 2015 - 07:11 PM.

• Ghis1964 said thank you

#19 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 09:39 PM

First off, anything is possible, given enough time effort and money! I have no experience with this setup so I can't say... But I can say that the LGT's are great machines for transplants - they have a lot of room under the hood and quite a bit of flexibility to change things. For example, I am doing a repower of a Deere 318 (to a water cooled diesel) - it is MUCH tighter to work in there with a lot less room compared to the Fords.

I would ask why you are using this engine though. Unless you have one for free, there may be better choices. The original k341 engine has more horsepower, torque, and is easily rebuildable. I also think it is a much more robust engine than the aluminum frame clones or even Honda originals. The gx and clone is still a splash lube engine, so no change there. It WILL get better gas mileage because of the overhead valve design breaths better, but how much gas are you gonna use?!?!? It's still a single, so you still have vibration issues. Given that you have to come up with a new charging system to power the pto, and that you still have to fab adapters and such. The installed cost is somewhat above the cost of buying the motor. If you want to stay with a single, buying/building a 341 is the easiest choice.

I went with the twin for several reasons. All the twins have forced pressure lubrication with filtration. The twins are inherently better balanced so there should be less vibration. My twin was also 18hp - 2 more horses than the 16 hp 341. Charging coils, pto adapters adapter plates are all available commercially if you can't build them. The twins are over head valve "modern" design so they should get better fuel usage. In my case, all my adapters bolted right on from the old engine. The twins are modern engines in common use, so if you look around, you can find them used or with careful buying, even new are only about 2 - 2.5 x what the Honda clone would cost. More money up front, but less time, work and money to adapt it to your application. Again, this is just MY opinion....

I would be more likely to use the Honda 13 hp to replace an 6-10 hp k series engine (if it would fit). More benefits there....

• Chopperhed and Ghis1964 have said thanks

#20 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 10:17 PM

I got my 3 point hitch welded up and mounted. Also used the tractor to cut some grass and run It some to evaluate the new motor setup.

Heres the finished 3 point, both mounted and individual pieces.

20150510_151857_resized.jpg 20150510_151906_resized.jpg 20150509_150811_resized.jpg

See a previous post on bending the arms. I used cat 0 ball ends and welded them onto the end of my arms. I made my right side lift arm out of a ford diesel head bolt to allow height adjustment - here's a picture

20150509_150841_resized.jpg

I still need to add the spreader adjustments - to control how wide the arms can open, but I wanted to test the setup out first.

I hooked up a few things to it and was satisfied with how it works.

As to the repower, I would qualify it as a HUGE success!!!!! I ran the mower deck through some pretty high grass and it didn't choke down or bog at all. 3/4 throttle is more than enough power to do anything I have wanted to do. Since it's a hydro transaxle, I don't run it at less rpms than that, but as far as power output, I think 1/2 throttle would be more than enough power for most tasks in a gear transmission. The twin seems to run smoother than the single used to. My smaller fuel tank still gives me running time to cut for several hours and I am usually ready to get off for a break before refueling is needed.

I already had the engine so there was almost no cost for the changeover, aside from maintenance (new filters, carb rebuild, etc) items and wiring supplies. But I also used scrap and stuff I had laying around, so didn't have to buy much. I think I might have $50 in the repower in actual out of pocket expense!  

I used the kohler, and that allowed me to reuse my drive shafts, adapters, pto and all. Using a Briggs/Honda/Subaru would have required new adapters. But if that were the engine I had, I would have been comfortable doing that.

So far, the twin repower was well worth it! Especially since my old engine was blown. YMMV!..... 

• Chopperhed and Ghis1964 have said thanks

#21 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 10:40 PM

So....

How does it look all installed and ready to go>

Inquiring minds want to know.

#22 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted May 19, 2015 - 09:19 AM

See post #15 - there are a few pictures there. Pictures are pretty anticlimactic..... It's a closed side, so nothing to see with the side panels on. I was able to rig the exhaust so it comes out the grill like the original, so no cut panels, exposed exhaust, etc. Kind of a sleeper! You CAN tell from the exhaust sound though that it is NOT the k341!

I still need to do the striping/lettering on the side panels. I am going to do paint instead of decals. Factory striping is simple 1 color (white) so mask and paint is easy. I have a friend that does pinstriping/lettering/etc and he will do the numbering for me. As suggested, I think it is going to be a "LGT185"

Still plans sometime to do a rear pto power maybe - I don't need it but think it would be cool to have a mini-bush hog or rear finish mower on it.....  I also have a dozer/plow blade for this that I need to repaint and fix up to mount. And considered adding a second hydraulic set to it..... These things are never done - always one more modification   smile. But for now it's back in operation and running. And there are other projects waiting on the bench so gonna call this one done for a while!

• Chopperhed said thank you

#23 Abomination OFFLINE  

Abomination
  • Member No: 74550
  • 24 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted August 27, 2015 - 04:30 PM

This is awesome!

Bookmarking for later...