• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dka56 OFFLINE  

dka56
  • Member No: 69198
  • 12 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 08:12 PM

My first post, long time lurker so I want to say hi. I picked this 212 up last August and have restored a lot of it, didn't mess with the driveline too much other than the belts but did replace the piston,rod and crank bearings. The transaxle seems to be in decent shape, only thing is it will whine a little with the variator in the forward position and it's not so much a gear whine but a bearing noise.....probably the input shaft.

I understand the straight-cut gears have an inherent whine but this is different. I do notice 3rd gear makes the most noise but neither gear is unbearable. I did replace the secondary idler pulley and that helped, as well as the gear oil and have 85-140 in there now.......what I drained was chocolate milk-like but not water.

I'm contemplating just opening it up and going over it, maybe replace the 3rd gear sprockets as well as other common wear items.

I did read the recent thread on the 212/peerless 2300 and that helped as well as other threads. Looks like this will come out fairly easily so any pointers for a first-time rebuild is greatly appreciate. I'm fairly mechanically inclined and I do want to do this right if I set off on the journey.

• Jesse, A.C.T., CharlesDes and 1 other said thanks

#2 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 09:31 PM

Welcome to GTT forums

If you have not download the manual for the transaxle, it is in the manual section under transmissions manuals.

It will help a lot work on the transaxle.

Be sure to check the little ball and spring in each shifting folk.  Big problem when the spring brakes or get weak.  It a louse the transaxle to got into two gears at the same time.  Bad new for the gears.

and we here like to see pictures of the garden tractor

if you have any problems of questions please ask.  There are a lot of good people here ther will try to help

good luck

• boyscout862, A.C.T. and Gabriel have said thanks

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 06, 2015 - 04:20 AM

As said above, the Tecumseh/Peerless manual is in the Manuals section and contains rebuild info. for all the older transmissions. They can be hard to get apart IME. Axle hubs, brake discs and Pulleys can all be stubborn to remove. 

• boyscout862 and A.C.T. have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,787 Thanks
  • 7,540 posts

Posted April 06, 2015 - 06:13 AM

Welcome to GTT. Post pics, ask questions, and enjoy. Take a bunch of pics as you go, they may help when putting it back together.  Good Luck, Rick

• A.C.T. and Gabriel have said thanks

#5 crittersf1 ONLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,760 posts

Posted April 06, 2015 - 07:35 AM

:welcometogttalk:

• A.C.T. and Gabriel have said thanks

#6 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted April 06, 2015 - 09:46 AM

Welcome to GTTalk!

• A.C.T. said thank you

#7 dka56 OFFLINE  

dka56
  • 12 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted April 06, 2015 - 05:28 PM

Pics as requested, project for my son and I but with him being 6 I did most of the hard stuff....but enjoyed it. We took it down to the frame and left the trans installed but pretty much touched up most everything else. I have more pics on another computer but here's the finished project. Alot more labor than I had envisioned but was worth it

Attached Thumbnails

• 20141220_151011-1.jpeg
  • 20141220_153224-1.jpeg
  • 20141220_153028.jpeg

• Alc, lyall, truck21 and 4 others have said thanks

#8 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted April 06, 2015 - 08:30 PM

thanks for the pictures.

It looks like you and your son have done a lot so far to it, it looks great.

I bet your son love driving it around.

When you are putting the transaxle back together, the hardest part for me is getting the shifter forks to align up in the case.

I use needle nose pliers, they help me align the forks.

• Alc and A.C.T. have said thanks

#9 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted April 07, 2015 - 09:45 PM

Great Job!  I really like the 200 series tractor. There a great workhorse. I have a 216 that runs a tiller, 216 that I put a snowblower on. A 212 for mowing. I have 5 of this series.

GEDC0672.JPG

• boyscout862 said thank you

#10 dka56 OFFLINE  

dka56
  • 12 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted May 12, 2015 - 02:25 PM

Work has been crazy so I'm just getting into the 2300. Slight change of plans as I have acquired a spare 2300 for $50 that seems to be in great shape that I will overhaul then swap into the 212 so there's no downtime, then work on the trans currently in the 212 at a later date. I have the fluid draining now and at least it doesn't look chocolate milkfish but pretty much dark gear oil....so that's a relief.

Since I only want to do this once, I guess I will replace any parts that are common wear items like the detent balls and seals, bearings etc

I did see that someone here put together a kit which is extremely helpful, are there complete kits available with all the bearings and seals?

Being this is my first 2300 overhaul, anything to look out for as I disassemble the case?

• Trav1s said thank you

#11 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted May 12, 2015 - 09:02 PM

the easiest way to take the transaxle apart is  leave the left wheel on (break side).  That way you can tilt it up on the wheel so that the transaxle is vertical.  Makes it a lot easier to work on and put back together.