• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,475 Thanks
  • 39,714 posts

Posted April 06, 2015 - 04:39 AM

I'll do some more snooping. I don't think there is a bad ground as the starter turns over real well. But I will check everything posted to see what I find. Since I have R&R them, that may have helped with them grounding to the block.

• Texas Deere and Horse and CharlesDes have said thanks

#17 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,475 Thanks
  • 39,714 posts

Posted April 06, 2015 - 06:36 AM

I copied/pasted all replies into a text document so I can print it for reference when I go out. Thanks everyone.

• Texas Deere and Horse and Cvans have said thanks

#18 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted April 06, 2015 - 11:19 AM

Let us know what you find.

#19 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,475 Thanks
  • 39,714 posts

Posted April 06, 2015 - 11:33 AM

We've had a light mist falling all morning, so haven't messed with it. This is the machine that likes to start itself when it gets wet out. I have to pull the wire off the starter solenoid to keep that from happening.

#20 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted April 06, 2015 - 12:37 PM

you definitely have something going on there.

• KennyP said thank you

#21 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,511 Thanks
  • 5,029 posts

Posted April 06, 2015 - 02:32 PM

I remember you talking about that self starting tractor. Ducky is right, you have a wiring problem somewhere. Another thing to look for is a contactor or relay that is getting wet. 

• KennyP said thank you

#22 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,307 Thanks
  • 1,106 posts

Posted April 06, 2015 - 04:13 PM

Stock Kubota!!!!
Starts at one side:)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG1977.jpg

Edited by stiemmy, April 06, 2015 - 04:14 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#23 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,475 Thanks
  • 39,714 posts

Posted April 06, 2015 - 04:35 PM

Well, I tried some tests. My meter has a 200M setting. Tried that and just got OL. Set it to 20V, got 12.29 V at the battery. 9.34 at the glow plugs. Indicator is working, glows red. May need to loosen/tighten connection to the GP's and see if I get better.

Never did figure out the self start issue. All I can figure is water is getting in some where and shorting across. Has a new ignition switch.

• Cvans said thank you

#24 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted April 07, 2015 - 12:31 AM

Kenny

That is quite voltage difference.  Were both of those reading under load i.e. with the plug activated?

200M would be a resistance reading used to test resistance.  Any of the settings that have M, K, or 100 are for resistance readings.

Use only DC volts for these test.

Try this - set your meter to volt - the lowest scale you have and connect one lead to B+ (positive terminal of the battery) and the other lead to the positive side of the plug.  You will see 0 volt on your meter. - Now activate the glow plugs and take a another reading. - you will see a small (low) reading which should be less than 500MV (.5 Volts).  If you see anything higher you will need to find the high resistance in that part of the circuit. 

If you see a reading of more than 500MV - leave one of your leads on the B+ terminal and start stepping back in the circuit, from the plug,  one connection at a time till you lose the voltage drop.  That will be the connection that needs attention.  Sometimes there may be several connection that can cause this high drop.  As you find these drops you will be able to correct them.  Most of the time you will find a poor connection that just needs cleaning.  Other times you may find that PO used the wrong sized wire for the amperage in that circuit.  Any resistance in a circuit will cause a voltage drop in that circuit.

Remember that the circuit always needs to be activated (under load) when doing a Voltage drop test.

Kenny you should have my phone #.  Please give me a call anytime if I can help.

• KennyP and Cvans have said thanks

#25 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,475 Thanks
  • 39,714 posts

Posted April 07, 2015 - 05:58 AM

I'll work with it some more today, Don. That 200M is in the Volt section of the meter. Also a 20M. I thought I had uploaded a pic of the meter, but can't find it right now.

I'm going to see if I can find some way to put clips on the end of the probes as I need 3 hands right now.

#26 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,317 Thanks
  • 4,664 posts

Posted April 07, 2015 - 06:44 AM

I'll work with it some more today, Don. That 200M is in the Volt section of the meter. Also a 20M. I thought I had uploaded a pic of the meter, but can't find it right now.

I'm going to see if I can find some way to put clips on the end of the probes as I need 3 hands right now.

Grab a few clothes pins from the wash line?  They work great and aren't conductive!  Looks like you are getting a lesson in electrical theory here..  Hope this all makes sense to ya!

• KennyP said thank you

#27 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,475 Thanks
  • 39,714 posts

Posted April 07, 2015 - 07:16 AM

Grab a few clothes pins from the wash line?  They work great and aren't conductive!  Looks like you are getting a lesson in electrical theory here..  Hope this all makes sense to ya!

Got some clothes pins around here somewhere. I'll try that. It may make sense by the time we're finished. I'll get some pics of the meter posted, I'm just lucky I can get it to read volts and ohms.

#28 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,317 Thanks
  • 4,664 posts

Posted April 07, 2015 - 07:38 AM

I prefer the digital meters to dial type old ones.  Takes the guess work out of trying to decipher which scale you are trying to read on them!  My favorite is a H/F el-cheapo $5 special!  Another thing I've used to hold probes is a battery charger clamp.  (charger unplugged of course) 

The only thing that would make the engine crank in the rain is a bad Ign Sw. or Start Relay if it has one.  It is also possible that main voltage is travelling around a wet solenoid to the activation connector but I find that highly unlikely..  Does the thing have a 'start foot switch'?  Another culprit..

• KennyP said thank you

#29 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,475 Thanks
  • 39,714 posts

Posted April 07, 2015 - 07:56 AM

I prefer the digital meters to dial type old ones.  Takes the guess work out of trying to decipher which scale you are trying to read on them!  My favorite is a H/F el-cheapo $5 special!  Another thing I've used to hold probes is a battery charger clamp.  (charger unplugged of course) 

The only thing that would make the engine crank in the rain is a bad Ign Sw. or Start Relay if it has one.  It is also possible that main voltage is travelling around a wet solenoid to the activation connector but I find that highly unlikely..  Does the thing have a 'start foot switch'?  Another culprit..

Here's the meter:

2015-04-07 07.45.52.jpg

On the self start issue, it has the solenoid on the starter. And the main positive cable is hooked onto it. Think it's all happening right there. I'll check the solenoid end to see if possibly water is getting in there.

I found another set of probes that will work with this meter, so I can put clips on those. They aren't quite as long, but if I can at least clip on one end, that frees the hand to work the switches.

• olcowhand said thank you

#30 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,317 Thanks
  • 4,664 posts

Posted April 07, 2015 - 08:48 AM

I see a little 'patina' on that there meter!!   :love:

• KennyP said thank you