11 replies to this topic

#1 KenM OFFLINE  

KenM

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7048
  • 50 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted April 04, 2015 - 09:55 PM

Over the past few days I have been stripping and prepping a set of rims for repaint. I laid a coat of gray self etching primer and then laid another coat of rustolium brown/rust color primer over that. Then I did 3 coats of Van Sickle Ag Yellow on top.

Today I laid the last coat (3rd) of yellow on them. Should I do a coat or two of clear coat over them? Or is it really needed after they are fully cured? And should I do a light wet sand to paint when cured before the clear coat?

I don't own a compressor or paint gun. So all this was done with rattle can.

uploadfromtaptalk1428202158923.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1428202194297.jpg

Edited by KenM, April 04, 2015 - 09:58 PM.

• hamman, WrenchinOnIt, Traill95 and 4 others have said thanks

#2 AfterShock95 OFFLINE  

AfterShock95
  • Member No: 63122
  • 420 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted April 04, 2015 - 10:24 PM

You might to want to mount the tires because you might scratch the rims and you don't have to clear them that's your choice if you do follow the directions on the can
  • WrenchinOnIt and A.C.T. have said thanks

#3 KenM OFFLINE  

KenM

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7048
  • 50 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted April 04, 2015 - 10:34 PM

I plan on cutting up an old garden hose and wrapping around the rim edge. That will protect the rim when mounting tires. And then lay rim on a sheet of Styrofoam. Not too worried about scratches doing it that way.

Edited by KenM, April 04, 2015 - 10:37 PM.

• johndeereelfman and A.C.T. have said thanks

#4 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted April 04, 2015 - 11:02 PM

Not too worried about scratches here also. About 6-8 coats (6 cans) of rattle can. I figure after the tires are mounted I can touch up the rim scratches before seating the beads.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1120524.JPG
  • P1120525.JPG

• sacsr, WrenchinOnIt and A.C.T. have said thanks

#5 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 02:54 AM

Very nice work. I am looking forward to some painting as the temps are going up (slowly).

• WrenchinOnIt said thank you

#6 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 08:11 AM

I guess a lot depends of what your intended use of the tractor is when your finished with it. If it going to be a show piece, then the gloss clear coat my add to the over all appearance. If it is going to be a working tractor, skip the clear coat. Sun has a tendency to yellow the clear over time and you don't want that. A big advantage of a paint gun over a can job is you can add a hardener to the paint which makes it dry harder and more gloss. Will last a lot longer and be more durable. I have found that the "Do it Best" brand of rattle can paint has a lot more pigment in it that most of the others. You get a lot more color on the item and less paint mist in the air. I have a couple guns and compressors but still use the rattle can on small projects, with good results.
  • KennyP, WrenchinOnIt, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#7 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 10:28 AM

mount the tires from the back side of the rim...May help in the scratching...

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,485 Thanks
  • 39,720 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 10:43 AM

I plan on cutting up an old garden hose and wrapping around the rim edge. That will protect the rim when mounting tires. And then lay rim on a sheet of Styrofoam. Not too worried about scratches doing it that way.

I doubt you will get the tires over that hose.

#9 AfterShock95 OFFLINE  

AfterShock95
  • Member No: 63122
  • 420 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 10:50 AM

Mount the tires on the back of the rim

#10 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 07:51 PM

Here's my two cents and what I'll add based on experience, clear coat is a waste of money on rattle can paint which the vast majority is enamel, cheiffan is 100% correct it will yellow in time, if you want to use it go with very light coats don't scuff your last coat rattle can clear is not like using an automotive grade clear coat/base coat it won't bring back the shine on scuffed enamel.Here's what you should consider if tackling rims again ( also just IMO ) clean the rims good if you're going use self etching primer that means bare metal and I mean bare, if its not bare metal don't spend the extra coin on self-etching ( most quality brands , like SEM are close to $20 a can) scuff the first coat ( ultra fine Scotch Brite pads work the best for this) hit it with a second coat scuff it and that's it ,don't shoot primer over self etch, different chemical base in etching primer you may get orange peel, also you're wasting money you can spend on a good brand of top coat paint. NOW mount your tires , don't inflate them tape 'em up good get a heat gun ,start your top coat in light layers hit it with the heat gun till it tacks up then repeat, I've done this process with rattle can paint jobs ( on rims) up to 5-6 coats and have often asked if they are powder coated , remove tape air up tires, mount them on your piece and stand back and admire your work! Kenny is right hose probably a no-go , your going to scratch the heck out of the rim edges when you mount up the tires and with all that paint you'll have to feather it good to touch it up and it will take as many coats again to make it match the rest , good luck , hope for the best, live and learn, ask for advice, etc. And when all else fails do what we all do take a shot and learn what to do and what not to do next time

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, April 05, 2015 - 07:59 PM.

• WHdbJD, LilysDad and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#11 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 08:03 PM

Here are 3 machines (all rattle can) with no touch-up after the tires were mounted. I personally think this is the way to go, I use all 3 and one is showing a need for a re-doo but it is not too bad yet. I have taken them all to some local shows.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1120589.JPG
  • P1120590.JPG
  • P1120591.JPG
  • P1120592.JPG
  • P1120593.JPG
  • P1120594.JPG

#12 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 08:14 PM

Here are 3 machines (all rattle can) with no touch-up after the tires were mounted. I personally think this is the way to go, I use all 3 and one is showing a need for a re-doo but it is not too bad yet. I have taken them all to some local shows.

Yup they look good! In all things and this case, processes 'to each their own' the method I described is one that has been spelled out many a time , and I'm sure on this forum , to me it guarantees you the best finished result. Little more work is all,again just opinion based on experience.
  • larrybl said thank you