Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Home made Tractor with car parts, tractor parts, and....

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#16 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,312 Thanks
  • 1,110 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 08:51 AM

I ended up selling it before I stuffed an engine in it. Steering was just a bit freaky with the extra weight up there!

I can imagine, a 750# engine in that small of a car!! LOL

#17 Enginerod ONLINE  

Enginerod

• Member No: 1748
  • 205 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 09:35 AM

Definitely looks like a Dana 44, look at the cast webbing on the center section of the rearend, Dana casts the model number into the webbing. I wouldnt be suprised if it is from a mail delivery jeep with the hub that is on there. If its from a mail jeep that would be a bonus because I've never seen one that didnt have positraction! 

• KennyP said thank you

#18 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • 1,312 Thanks
  • 1,110 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 10:12 AM

Definitely looks like a Dana 44, look at the cast webbing on the center section of the rearend, Dana casts the model number into the webbing. I wouldnt be suprised if it is from a mail delivery jeep with the hub that is on there. If its from a mail jeep that would be a bonus because I've never seen one that didnt have positraction! 

Maybe, but I'm not sure that it's posi. The right rear is pretty bald. The guy I got it from said when they had it running that he, and his brother were doing burn outs with it. 

You know what, I'm darn curious now! I think I will run over, and check it out more closer. When I do, I'll jack it up, and spin one wheel to see what happens there.

I'll snap some more pics as we ALL like more pics!! ;) 

Edited by stiemmy, April 05, 2015 - 10:25 AM.

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#19 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • 1,312 Thanks
  • 1,110 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 11:26 AM

Well, some mysteries have been solved.  The master cylinder is a 4 bolt flange. Only the top bolts are used in this case. AJ-2155 comes back to a 50's Ford. I took a few pics.

The rear axle IS a 10 bolt Dana 44. You can see the number 44 cast in the lower right web. It is a open diff., we call em "one wheel wonders" round these parts. I took several pics of that too.

Of coarse I took more random pics, the one with my hand is to show the size of the engine, enjoy!!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG2064.jpg
  • IMAG2063.jpg
  • IMAG2062.jpg
  • IMAG2061.jpg
  • IMAG2067.jpg
  • IMAG2071.jpg
  • IMAG2073.jpg
  • IMAG2074.jpg
  • IMAG2089.jpg
  • IMAG2090.jpg
  • IMAG2091.jpg
  • IMAG2088.jpg
  • IMAG2087.jpg
  • IMAG2086.jpg
  • IMAG2085.jpg
  • IMAG2084.jpg
  • IMAG2083.jpg
  • IMAG2082.jpg
  • IMAG2081.jpg
  • IMAG2080.jpg
  • IMAG2079.jpg
  • IMAG2078.jpg
  • IMAG2077.jpg
  • IMAG2076.jpg
  • IMAG2075.jpg

Edited by stiemmy, April 05, 2015 - 11:49 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#20 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • 1,312 Thanks
  • 1,110 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 07:59 PM

Thinking I might tinker a little on it next weekend, time permitting??

Wow, guess I'm going to have to save some coin!!!  It needs a new battery, new battery cables, antifreeze/water, fan bushing, trans oil, engine oil, hydro oil, probably diff oil, engine dipstick, 2 belts, and only god knows what else. Hope I dont need ignition parts cause I dont know if I can even get British parts here?

Some of this stuff I wont need right away, but I'll have to wait till next Friday as it's payday, and the batt ain't gonna be cheap!  

Edited by stiemmy, April 11, 2015 - 08:29 AM.

#21 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • 1,312 Thanks
  • 1,110 posts

Posted April 18, 2015 - 08:51 AM

Little update, I got it running pretty good yesterday after alot of tinkering. It had spark right out of the gate, so that was good, but the intake valve on cyl. #1 was stuck. After some tapping with a wood dowel, and some PB blaster down the hole it broke loose. I took some 2 stroke oil, and poured it down the carb, and the plug holes, and spun it over a bunch to get the oil worked in.

The Coke bottle you see has a very small hole in the end for squirting gas to get her to light up,  this works very well for starting any engine. I also had oil mix in the Coke bottle as well.

The lower radiator hose had a leak at the end of it, so I had to trim that off, and thank god I filled it with water to check for leaks first, or I would have had a heck of a mess on my hands.

I got it to start, and run, but the heavy amount of oil fouled the JUNK Champion plugs in a hurry. It sounded really rough only hitting on 1 lung LOL, plus it was running really lean from the carb being clogged. I cant believe it ran at all. I did not spend a whole ton of time cleaning it, but it runs better.

I have the front tire off as it needs a new tube,  I will be picking one up today, and installing it. Once thats done, Ill post some video of it, so stay tuned...

Some pics, and video links of the first run, and run after new plugs. The video shot in the day light was from my phone, and I had it on a box to prop it, so its crappy, but it works!!

Once its running in the first video, I grab my phone and do a little walk around. Pay attention to the concrete floor as I walk around the front. All that crap on the floor is what shot out of the stack. Thank goodness it didnt hit the oladys new Impala!!!

WARNING!!!

Some of the language in the videos is inappropriate. My buddy and I were indulging in some adult beverages, so viewer discretion is advised! 

http://vid910.photob...VIDEO0055 2.mp4

http://vid910.photob...VIDEO0056 2.mp4

http://vid910.photob...VIDEO0057 2.mp4

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG2106.jpg
  • IMAG2107.jpg
  • IMAG2110.jpg
  • IMAG2111.jpg
  • IMAG2112.jpg
  • IMAG2123.jpg
  • IMAG2125.jpg
  • IMAG2127.jpg

Edited by stiemmy, April 18, 2015 - 10:41 AM.

• KennyP and Cvans have said thanks

#22 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted April 18, 2015 - 09:28 AM

That things sounds good!

• stiemmy said thank you

#23 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • 1,312 Thanks
  • 1,110 posts

Posted April 18, 2015 - 09:32 AM

That things sounds good!

Thank you, it sure does!!! The carb has a slight hesitation yet, so a thorough cleaning is needed, but good nuff fer now. :thumbs:  

Too bad the audio does not have the full frequency response,  the exhaust note has a really nice low tone.

Edited by stiemmy, April 18, 2015 - 10:40 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#24 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • 1,312 Thanks
  • 1,110 posts

Posted April 18, 2015 - 04:44 PM

Ha wouldn't ya know it. I get the tire on, and done. Then started monkeying around with the muffler cause it was loose, and I busted the exhaust. From the looks of it, she was gonna break soon on its own. Guess I won't be running it till I can get a pipe made. I'll talk to my buddy to see if he can make me one. He works at a company that makes specialty tubes by order.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG2131.jpg
  • IMAG2132.jpg

• Alc said thank you

#25 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • 1,312 Thanks
  • 1,110 posts

Posted April 26, 2015 - 02:59 PM

I finally got the exhaust on, and took it for a spin. I'll post video of it in a day or two. The exhaust was a tad long, so I had to trim it a bit to fit, and welded it up.

I have discovered the engine needs a little work besides the carb needing a good cleaning. She leaks oil like a siv at the fuel pump, front main, and possibly the rear.

I think down the road I may lower the gearing a bit. First gear could be a little slower, it's about 5 mph or so now tops, and she'll do about 25-30 mph in 3rd. Makes steering it a little tricky at top speeds, and yes, I had it up on two wheels doing a donut!!!:) (only cause I wanted to see if it would do one) lol

The guy in the photo is my buddy, and he isn't a tractor guy so to say, but he had an absolute blast, in fact, the kids did too!!!:)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG2136.jpg
  • IMAG2137.jpg
  • IMAG2138.jpg
  • IMAG2139.jpg
  • IMAG2140.jpg

Edited by stiemmy, April 26, 2015 - 03:19 PM.

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#26 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • 1,312 Thanks
  • 1,110 posts

Posted April 26, 2015 - 07:14 PM

WARNING!!

The language may not be suitable for young adults, or safe for work!

Yes, it's herky jerky with no govenor:)

• Alc and Bill 76 have said thanks

#27 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 26, 2015 - 09:23 PM

Can't help but smile :thumbs:

• stiemmy said thank you

#28 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,325 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted April 27, 2015 - 06:44 AM

That machine is so cool. Glad you were ale to save it.
Looks like it need a little better/longer leverage on the clutch LOL
  • stiemmy said thank you

#29 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • 1,312 Thanks
  • 1,110 posts

Posted April 29, 2015 - 08:03 PM

Can't help but smile :thumbs:

Couldn't have said it better!! :thumbs:

That machine is so cool. Glad you were ale to save it.
Looks like it need a little better/longer leverage on the clutch LOL

Yea, id agree, it's very cool, especially in person.

Thank you, me too!

Yes, I would agree, but I will wait till I change the gearing to see what happens with the clutch. The inner rod moves slower than the outer, so I believe it maybe a throw ratio issue that may go away with lower gearing? I can tell you with no suspension,  and no governor, every little bump jerks the gas pedal, so throttle control is REALLY tough. Touchy throttle, and a touchy clutch make for a heck of a ride!!! LOL

I fixed another issue today...alot more to go on the tractor though! The charging system wasn't working. Got it charging, but wouldn't ya know after I shot the video, I took it for a spin, and the final drive chain snapped (lack of oil). Guess i'll be looking at sprockets for a re-gearing sooner than I thought since the chain is poop, and conveniently off anyway!! LOL   

A different air filter, carb work, master cylinder, fan bushing, hydro work, more gauges, and some hood mods coming soon! STAY TUNED......

https://youtu.be/pwinas949CE

Edited by stiemmy, April 29, 2015 - 08:20 PM.

• KennyP and trowel have said thanks

#30 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,325 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted April 29, 2015 - 09:06 PM

Older Chrysler engine (30-40's) had a bolt on gov that looks a little likeyour water pump. Maybe find one of those and get a gov on it?
  • trowel and stiemmy have said thanks