• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 04, 2015 - 02:25 PM

Got a call last night about 10PM from my Daughter that she couldn't get hey GMC to shift into any gear, lever would move but not change anything. I figured it was either the linkage or the shifter cable. Had her boyfriend bring her home last night and my wife &  I went to get this morning. The shifter handle is on the steering column, it moves thru all gears but doesn't move the cable to the trans. I can feel it jumping or missing something up by the handle. I was wondering if anyone had had this issue with their truck or Yukon/Tahoe/ Suburban. Looks like I need to tear the column apart to see what's broken.

#2 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 2,325 posts

Posted April 04, 2015 - 02:37 PM

Yikes Hopefully you don't have to replace the column.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#3 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,601 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted April 04, 2015 - 02:45 PM

On the later vehicles there is a shifter interlock that requires the driver to step on the brake before the shifter can be moved from park. Often that is the problem.  There should be an interlock override somewhere.  

• Texas Deere and Horse and superaben have said thanks

#4 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted April 04, 2015 - 02:47 PM

Had that happen on our 2004 Silverado 2500 HD. Bent the cable and bracket at the transmission. It has a Allison 6 speed in it. Cost me $ 150 for the cable and I installed it in about an hour and a half. Can't remember exactly how but it wasn't really hard. I did it while undergoing cancer treatment.  Will it start? If so it's in park. It needs to be in park but there is something about not moving it while it is not running. Sorry I can't remember at this time.   Hope this helps a bit.  Good luck.                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Roger

#5 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,652 posts

Posted April 04, 2015 - 03:17 PM

Got a call last night about 10PM from my Daughter that she couldn't get hey GMC to shift into any gear, lever would move but not change anything. I figured it was either the linkage or the shifter cable. Had her boyfriend bring her home last night and my wife &  I went to get this morning. The shifter handle is on the steering column, it moves thru all gears but doesn't move the cable to the trans. I can feel it jumping or missing something up by the handle. I was wondering if anyone had had this issue with their truck or Yukon/Tahoe/ Suburban. Looks like I need to tear the column apart to see what's broken.

Jeeze!!!  You just got over cancer. Tell her to ask her mother.

#6 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted April 04, 2015 - 03:25 PM

that's a common problem on a Ford but don't recall ever seeing it on a GM. Can you move the shifter without pushing the brake? The cable hooks on down towards the bottom of the column. There is a self adjuster that is known to slip but it is at the trans end.

#7 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,065 posts

Posted April 04, 2015 - 03:40 PM

Never mind should of read the whole post.

Edited by toomanytoys84, April 04, 2015 - 03:41 PM.

#8 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,447 Thanks
  • 3,355 posts

Posted April 04, 2015 - 05:18 PM

If you're certain it's just not shifting externally then it's gotta be cable broken or disconnected, broken connector at one end, or shift lever off at the transmission. Start with the easy first, see if the shift lever is bolted tightly to the transmission, if so get someone to shift through the gears while you watch. If it moves through the entire range, you have an internal problem such as broken shift lever linkage, or heaven forbid, broken input shaft.

#9 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,777 Thanks
  • 4,299 posts

Posted April 04, 2015 - 05:45 PM

My 2003 Silverado Z-71 did something like that. The indicator for the gear (digital) wasn't showing the correct gear. I made sure to step on the brake and pull the lever towards me and went all the way to low and back up to park. It now works, although there isn't any detent in the lever when pulling it towards me.

What do I expect at 170,000 miles!

#10 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,476 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted April 04, 2015 - 06:17 PM

Can you visibly see it on the tranny not moving? There is a black electronic box on the drivers side of tranny that cable attaches to, you can see it moving when the column shifter is moved if it's not the cable. If not, then sounds like the cable broke up in column. I have heard instances in your body style, but not experienced it, I just blow the planetaries apart in my trannies   :D

#11 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 04, 2015 - 09:21 PM

Guys, it's in the column where the problem is, I can feel the shifter linkage try to move in the column. I can get in and out of gears and it drives, but have to work at it with my fingers pushing the cable down in the column. I know about the brake release as all our cars and trucks have that on them. This is a linkage issue at the shifter lever. Hoping someone here has had the same issues and can tell me what I need to do to repair it. Thanks for all the help so far, I'm just not able to spend a lot of time figuring it out on my own.
  • KennyP, Trav1s and toppop52 have said thanks

#12 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 12:50 AM

Brian, check this out.  http://tahoeyukonfor...ead.php?t=49530

• Texas Deere and Horse and KennyP have said thanks

#13 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,447 Thanks
  • 3,355 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 09:17 AM

Guys, it's in the column where the problem is, I can feel the shifter linkage try to move in the column. I can get in and out of gears and it drives, but have to work at it with my fingers pushing the cable down in the column. I know about the brake release as all our cars and trucks have that on them. This is a linkage issue at the shifter lever. Hoping someone here has had the same issues and can tell me what I need to do to repair it. Thanks for all the help so far, I'm just not able to spend a lot of time figuring it out on my own.

You left this out to start with, so we didn't have a clue where to start. :shoot2: :D

#14 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 05, 2015 - 10:36 AM