• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tom tractor OFFLINE  

tom tractor
  • Member No: 51604
  • 182 Thanks
  • 194 posts

Posted April 04, 2015 - 05:31 AM

Is there a holy grail of small CUT size tractors?  Is there a best (older) Kubota or Yanmar tractor that is prefered?  The answer is always condition.  But with condition aside is there a model number that everyone is looking for?

Sorry if this questions has come up before.

• chieffan said thank you

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 04, 2015 - 05:45 AM

I guess it depends on how old you want to go. The older Bolens, Kubota, Yanmar and JD compacts are popular here. The Bolens and Yanmar can be hard to get parts for. The older JD tractors like the 855 were actually built by Yanmar for JD as are the smaller JD tractors even now. So an 855 is very much a Yanmar but with the dealer/parts support of JD

That said, I think you nailed it when saying condition is of prime importance. That and your local dealer support for the brand. It's worth checking parts availability with a dealer before buying any older tractor. I know that JD historically has kept parts inventories for a long time, but who knows what that situation will be like going forward. Not sure about Kubota. 

• boyscout862, TomLGT195, tom tractor and 2 others have said thanks

#3 tom tractor OFFLINE  

tom tractor
  • Member No: 51604
  • 182 Thanks
  • 194 posts

Posted April 04, 2015 - 12:50 PM

This maybe a silly question but when comparing on older 4x4 tractor with an older 2 wheel drive tractor - is there a large difference in workability? Do the 4x4 tractors work circles around the 2 wheel drive? Or do a good pair of tire chains on a 2WD do just as good as 4x4?

#4 AfterShock95 OFFLINE  

AfterShock95
  • Member No: 63122
  • 420 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted April 04, 2015 - 01:49 PM

Well if you have a loader on it front wheel assist it the way to go

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 04, 2015 - 02:13 PM

I have a JD2320 CUT with a loader on it. Most of the time I do not need 4wd to do loader work. However, it's nice to have that magic lever there when you get into slippery conditions, mud, rough terrain etc. Even in sand, the front wheels have a tendency to plow when you turn in 2wd but will bite in and turn when 4wd is engaged. A good set of chains is a must if you do snow removal on ice or have any hills to contend with. The chains make a huge difference. 

When purchasing a used tractor check the tire sizes. Some can be hard to find, making them expensive. There are also a lot of refurbished Japanese tractors out there that have been imported and sold. They often have very aggressive rice paddy type tires, which look like an AG tire with very aggressive lugs. 

• tom tractor and chieffan have said thanks

#6 greenb69 ONLINE  

greenb69
  • Member No: 65681
  • 268 Thanks
  • 210 posts

Posted April 04, 2015 - 03:05 PM

I know that not every town has one but we are fortunate to have a tire dealer that will make tire chains of any size in half an hour. I found this out when I was in need of a set this winter. These are quality chains and are very reasonable.
  • JDBrian and chieffan have said thanks

#7 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • Member No: 18979
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted April 04, 2015 - 05:12 PM

Hi,

I have owned a gray market Yanmar-YM2210, which is not a model that they made for JD that I'm aware of. I would not recommend going that route for sure as parts can and will be a problem. It also became a problem when I wanted to trade for something else as no JD dealer wanted to trade for it.

Also bought a Kubota B6000 which was one of the earliest models imported into the US and had a opposite rotation rear pto which required special pto implements or a pto reverser.

I recently bought a used Kubota B2410 which is approx. 15 yrs old and like it to date.

imo-I would strongly recommend buying something that matches your needs.

Has local dealer support. Has power steering and is in good operating condition.

Good  luck in your search and don't be in a hurry.

Chuck

• JDBrian, tom tractor and chieffan have said thanks

#8 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted April 04, 2015 - 10:47 PM

Both of the brands you mention make good machines. If your going to install a loader and you have a choice between power steering and 4 x 4, I would take the power steering. I've never had 4 wheel drive on a loader and get along fine. Loaded tires and chains will get you places you shouldn't be.. If a 4x4 came along at the right price I sure wouldn't pass it up though. 

Have fun shopping.

• JDBrian and chieffan have said thanks

#9 mtoney ONLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 558 Thanks
  • 542 posts

Posted August 26, 2015 - 12:04 PM

I think condition is paramount, espicaly when it comes to the engine, hst or clutch if gear driven.  I have had both a 2wd Yanmar YM135, a Kubota B6000 and B7100 4wd.  The 4wd was nice but with the other 2 having diff lock I never got stuck, even plowing lake effect snow.  At that time we lived in Erie, PA, right up on the lake.  Smart shopping and patience will yield the buyer a nice tractor for a keen price.  Research, knowing what you want to do and your own expectations is helpful.  I have never had one with a loader, never needed one for what I do.  These days I run a smaller Kubota G5200 diesel garden tractor.  I think going with a JD/Yanmar or a Kubota is probably the safest route when it comes to parts, Parts support for either brand thru the dealership for USA spec tractors is excellent, even on older models. Followed by ebay for NLA parts.  Kubota corperate is very sticking about dealerships supporting grey market machines, so you have to do your homework to find the closest USA spec model and use its model number, keeping the grey part under you hat so to speak.  Yanmar isnt as bad but they lack any substantial dealership network after the divorce from Cub Cadet, where you can find atleast 1 Kubota dealership near you if not more than 1.  We had 4 large dealerships when I lived out in Erie, but with all the small farms and grape vineyards, Kubotas are quite popular!     Mike

#10 Chucknbob OFFLINE  

Chucknbob
  • Member No: 22241
  • 90 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted August 26, 2015 - 07:26 PM

I've got an old 2wd Kubota B6100 hydro and I love it. It's probably 30 years old and still starts in 0 degree weather. I've never gotten stuck, but if you are doing work on steep hills, especially pushing snow, you may be happier. Here my recommendations on buying.

1. Condition and dealer availability is a lot more important than brand.
2. Get 4x4 if you have hills or a loader, otherwise spend the money elsewhere. Used 4x4 is almost double the price in my area.
3. Hydrostatic is nice and makes work a little more convenient, but again not necessary.
4. Stay away from anything with a reverse pto. Attachments are almost nonexistant.
  • Cvans and chieffan have said thanks

#11 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,758 Thanks
  • 8,930 posts

Posted August 26, 2015 - 07:42 PM

The JD model Brian mentioned, the 855, along with it's siblings: 655, 755, 955, command top dollar around here and are considered bulletproof.