• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted April 03, 2015 - 09:05 PM

I picked up a couple of 40" sections of rotary hoe. Dismantled one to make lawn décor and rigged a chain bridle on the other to try it as an aerator pulled behind my old Poulan. 4 of the 14 wheels were rusted to the shaft, so had to use some heat, a 2 lb hammer and a lot of jerking to get them free. Then greased the brgs. The bricks I stacked on it worked OK, the spikes sank about an inch into dry turf. I may build a tongue for it and remove the chipper and see how it works.
Mike

Attached Thumbnails

• welding 001 (Small) (2).JPG
  • welding 002 (Small) (2).JPG

• LPBolens, KennyP, CRFarnsworth and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted April 03, 2015 - 09:51 PM

I like it , it does look mean and dangerous . Maybe you could devise a lifting systems with wheels for traveling around.

Tom
  • LPBolens said thank you

#3 schweitz OFFLINE  

schweitz

• Member No: 3045
  • 17 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted April 03, 2015 - 11:23 PM

As a kid in Nebraska 60+ years ago I remember pulling the rotary hoe to break up crusted soil caused by hard spring rains on newly planted crops. Pulling the direction you have hooked up can really throw dirt at speed. Pulling backward direction pokes holes with less soil ripping.

Have fun, but keep the kids and pets away !!

• KennyP, boyscout862 and ENafziger have said thanks

#4 ENafziger OFFLINE  

ENafziger
  • Member No: 45112
  • 254 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 12:22 PM

Slightly less ornate than yours, but the same basic design.  I need to remake the tongue on mine, as it is built way to light...I bent it backing up last time I used it.  That's good to know about pulling it "backwards" to achieve less ripping...I'll have to try that!

#5 ENafziger OFFLINE  

ENafziger
  • Member No: 45112
  • 254 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 12:23 PM

Slightly less ornate than yours, but the same basic design.  I need to remake the tongue on mine, as it is built way to light...I bent it backing up last time I used it.  That's good to know about pulling it "backwards" to achieve less ripping...I'll have to try that!

Well, sorry.  I spent 20 minutes trying to get the pictures to post from Shutterfly, and GTTalk doesn't like the image extensions or something... Grrr

• KennyP said thank you

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,135 Thanks
  • 4,487 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 07:32 AM

Definitely need a lifting system of some kind as they will really tear up the turf when turning tighter corners. We used one like that behind a B JD and devised a lift and that helped a lot. They are hard to find in this part of the country as most have gone the way of yard art or the scrappers got them.

#7 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 07:45 AM

You're right about them throwing a lot of dirt. Looks like a manure spreader at high speed.

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,366 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 08:51 AM

Well, sorry.  I spent 20 minutes trying to get the pictures to post from Shutterfly, and GTTalk doesn't like the image extensions or something... Grrr

I lot of those programs will save the pics as something odd so you have to use their program to view them.

• ENafziger said thank you