2 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,135 Thanks
  • 4,487 posts

Posted April 03, 2015 - 02:19 PM

It finally dried out enough to get part of the garden plowed.  Used the Gardener and all went well once the plow started to scour.  I let it dry a day and then went in with the 1053 and tiller.  Went over most of it twice and was disappointed with the results.  Lot of baseball size and smaller clods. I had the tiller mounted to the BCS tractor so got it out and started a run through.  Wow!  Turned out great.  A nice fine smooth seedbed.  Went over to the plowed part and tried it there.  Same results with only one pass.  I thought it may be the ground at first but it wasn't.  It is the speed on the tine rotation.  The Bolens tiller only turns half as fast or less then the BCS.  Ground speed is about the same.  The tine speed makes the difference.  Will resort to using the GT the first pass over or for areas where we put the seeds in hills and the rest will go over a second time with the BCS to have a nice fine seedbed.

• boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#2 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,104 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted April 03, 2015 - 03:58 PM

Thats sound right to me, my tiller on my MF 12 does not turn very fast either. It would make a better job turning fast for sure. Cant wait to even see the ground here. Still 4 to 6 feet of snow down. Noel

• boyscout862 and fogler12538 have said thanks

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,135 Thanks
  • 4,487 posts

Posted April 03, 2015 - 06:21 PM

I feel for you with that much snow on the ground. When I was in the service up in Maine, we always said that Maine was the only place they opened the swimming pools on the 1st of July and closed them on the 8th to be sure they didn't freeze.

We have green grass and the willow trees are starting to leaf out today. They are the first to show green. I will ride going over the plowed ground the first time and then walk behind the BCS just before planting.

I wonder if a guy with a belt drive tiller could change the tine rotation speed by changing the pulley size? Most I have seen have a fairly large pulley for the final driven pulley. Smaller pulley there and a shorter belt? Possibly even a larger pulley on the source end? Any time one increases speed you loose power. My BCS has a 9 hp Briggs and it never has a problem with being short on power. Might be something to play around with when you have the time.
  • Rock farmer and propane1 have said thanks