44 replies to this topic

#16 gardentractornut OFFLINE  

gardentractornut
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 67198
  • 324 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 12:07 PM

Had a guy weld/braze the tab on the hub to keep the free wheeling pin in. Much better now!
Been emailing back and forth with a guy I was referred to, he mentioned timing and/or governor. I'm going to set the governor today, and then find out if that's it or not. As for timing, how would I check that?

#17 gardentractornut OFFLINE  

gardentractornut
  • GTt Junior
  • 324 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 03:55 PM

Just got back in from tilling some with it. It seems that i can never keep a steady RPM with the thing. I pull the throttle out and she revs way up, holds, then falls. By the time I get to the end and shut the PTO off, the tractor is at an idle. When I was letting it idle to cool down, I played a bit with the carb throttle. I could hold a steady RPM when I held the butterfly down. What could cause that? The governor? I looked at it but couldn't get the wrench in to loosen the nut. I'll have to pull the heat shield off sometime.

Also found out that I need weight/new front tires. The stock ones don't grip worth a darn! I know the tiller is on the back, but even when my Dad sat on the hood it couldn't grip as good as it should.

I'm still VERY tempted to put my Briggs opposed twin in there. I know the engine, it's 16 HP, and it's newly overhauled (minus rings, too expensive). I think Ed put one in his 1556, am I right? Might have to go and find that thread to see what I want to get myself into.

#18 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 04:16 PM

Can you get some good pictures of your carb linkages and governor springs and levers?

#19 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 05:50 PM

Just got back in from tilling some with it. It seems that i can never keep a steady RPM with the thing. I pull the throttle out and she revs way up, holds, then falls. By the time I get to the end and shut the PTO off, the tractor is at an idle. When I was letting it idle to cool down, I played a bit with the carb throttle. I could hold a steady RPM when I held the butterfly down. What could cause that? The governor? I looked at it but couldn't get the wrench in to loosen the nut. I'll have to pull the heat shield off sometime.

Also found out that I need weight/new front tires. The stock ones don't grip worth a darn! I know the tiller is on the back, but even when my Dad sat on the hood it couldn't grip as good as it should.

I'm still VERY tempted to put my Briggs opposed twin in there. I know the engine, it's 16 HP, and it's newly overhauled (minus rings, too expensive). I think Ed put one in his 1556, am I right? Might have to go and find that thread to see what I want to get myself into.

Hi, yes I did that same engine swap. It can be done for sure. I did make a post about it but that was on a different forum. I have pictures and may be able to answer some questions if you decide to do that. Here are a couple of videos I made of it.

• WrenchinOnIt said thank you

#20 gardentractornut OFFLINE  

gardentractornut
  • GTt Junior
  • 324 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 07:21 PM

I figured it was you, you did an amazing job on that by the way. I would settle for functional, you made 'er look factory  :thumbs:

Did you notice a spike in performance over the Tec? I think I said that I was having lots of bad luck with my Briggs opposed engines, and I was. It really wasn't as bad as I thought. These things seem to just crap out with bad head gaskets. New gaskets on both and they both run perfect!

Does anybody have examples on what your TRA-12D can do? When mine is warm, I can pretty easily get going in 2nd, but not when cold.

#21 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 07:22 PM

Its all in tuning the engine, Here's what a 8.25HP 1050 can do with a TR10D Wisconsin

• WrenchinOnIt, 29 Chev and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#22 gardentractornut OFFLINE  

gardentractornut
  • GTt Junior
  • 324 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 07:34 PM

How do I time the engine? The guy I'm emailing said something about a "V" in the shroud, which i know where it is, and a mark on the flywheel.

#23 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted April 11, 2015 - 07:41 PM

See this manual

http://gardentractor...12d-tra-10d12d/

Timimg is automatic on these Solid state models and may not be your issue, however its hard to say exactly whats going on without being there especially when the OEM wiring and coil has been replaced.

If you were closer I'd take a ride over and help you out.

• gardentractornut said thank you

#24 gardentractornut OFFLINE  

gardentractornut
  • GTt Junior
  • 324 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 03:25 PM

Well, I was putzing around with the Bolens today and experimented with governor spring positions. I moved the spring a couple holes, got on and drove it around for a bit. I found that I am now able to pop the clutch on any gear without killing it. So I thought, great! This thing is now the monster that I am hoping for! Then I found a broken drive belt  :hitting_self_roller:

I think I found the RPM problem. Should I be able to move the throttle when it's locked?

#25 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,175 Thanks
  • 2,147 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 07:09 AM

I found that I am now able to pop the clutch on any gear without killing it.  Not for long!  ...The transmission gears are the next thing to break.

I think I found the RPM problem. Should I be able to move the throttle when it's locked?

No. ...Locking the throttle should do just that.

#26 gardentractornut OFFLINE  

gardentractornut
  • GTt Junior
  • 324 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 09:49 AM

Thanks, I definitely won't make a habit of it..

Ok then, that's where my problem lies. I'll look on ebay and order one sometime soon.

#27 gardentractornut OFFLINE  

gardentractornut
  • GTt Junior
  • 324 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 08:08 AM

Well, ordered the cable and the cable bending tool from Bolens 1000, he had better prices than ebay, so no brainer there. The service is great, I will definitely be shopping there when I need parts. Another Bolens site bookmarked!

• Bolens 1000 and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#28 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 08:13 AM

Glad I could be of some help and keep another Bolens running! :thumbs:

• WrenchinOnIt and gardentractornut have said thanks

#29 gardentractornut OFFLINE  

gardentractornut
  • GTt Junior
  • 324 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 08:23 AM

You certainly did that my friend!

#30 gardentractornut OFFLINE  

gardentractornut
  • GTt Junior
  • 324 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 05:20 PM

Had the 1254 out today tilling again. I am just blown away by how good this thing can break up ground. Best I've ever seen. Straightened the edge and dig up some sod, thing just powered through.              

Can't wait to not have to hold the throttle back! New one should be coming in a few days.

019.JPG

020.JPG

002 (2).JPG

003 (3).JPG

Edited by gardentractornut, April 15, 2015 - 05:32 PM.

• Bolens 1000, MH81 and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks