#1 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • Member No: 40
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted April 03, 2015 - 09:54 AM

I am planning to have this Case 210 picked up tomorrow. It does not run and I was told the engine has a bad piston... I can look into it further when I get it home to find out for sure what is wrong, but I was wondering what other engines might fit. I've been told that the Kohler engines in the Case Hy-Driv tractors have provisions for the hydraulic pump to bolt to the block. I'd like to know if the gear drive tractors also need special block. I have a couple running K301 engines from a 1960s and a 1980s Jacobsen tractor and was hoping that one of them would at least bolt in. Can anyone tell me if a non-Case block will work on these? Is there a diagram that shows how a gear-drive model is set up?

case210 austin.jpg

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted April 03, 2015 - 10:26 AM

You can find a parts manual for this here. May need the serial # to get the correct one.

• RAJ said thank you

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted April 03, 2015 - 11:23 AM

No expert, but think shaft is pretty short for case, just needs to run the pump. They use love_joy couplers w/rubber center. Best part is, you can get many size ends and diff length mounts for the pump. Is there room for longer shaft? Think so, best check though.
  • RAJ said thank you

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted April 03, 2015 - 12:48 PM

You could always rebuild the kohler :thumbs: :D

• RAJ and superaben have said thanks

#5 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted April 03, 2015 - 12:51 PM

No expert, but think shaft is pretty short for case, just needs to run the pump. They use love_joy couplers w/rubber center. Best part is, you can get many size ends and diff length mounts for the pump. Is there room for longer shaft? Think so, best check though.

I think the engine sits the same way, but the 210 has a belt-driven transaxle instead of using a hydraulic pump. I am not sure if the belt runs off the front or back side of the engine, or if it uses a special crankshaft length and diameter. I believe the clutch is just a idler pulley like most old belt-drive tractors. I suppose I'll find out if my either of engines will work once I get it home.

#6 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted April 03, 2015 - 12:59 PM

You could always rebuild the kohler :thumbs: :D

The owner said that there was no damage to the block, so I'm guessing it could be rebuilt. It looks like it has been run for a while without an air-cleaner but if the bore and crank are still ok, I might do that too. I'm just hoping  to keep this a low-budget project and I have a couple good engines sitting around. I wouldn't mind a motor with 6 more cubic inches either.

#7 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 03, 2015 - 08:49 PM

What is the spec on the engine?  I can check and see if it is something very unusual or not. 

The Ingersoll parts lookup is in a grumpy mood tonight so I can't get into my 210 manual.  I'd like to figure out how Ingersoll runs a belt off the engine to the tranny? 

I'm with Brian.  I'd rebuild it, anyway.  Kohler parts are not that expensive.  I know I can put together a good rebuild kit and with machine work you'd only have $400-$600 in the engine depending on your local shop. 

Ben W.

• RAJ said thank you

#8 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted April 03, 2015 - 10:45 PM

Oops! Brain fart. 210 is one of few manuals Case made. I even Had one in past. Never finished it, after painting. Was one of first to go in my downsizing move. So,above post.....Never Mind!
  • RAJ said thank you

#9 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 09:52 AM

I got the tractor home last weekend. I will get the spec off it, but I can see for sure that it has a narrow block/oil pan like an older Cub Cadet would have and the transmission belt drives off a pulley on the rear of the engine where a hydraulic pump normally would be. Not sure of the PTO shaft length or diameter, looks shorter than normal but there is plenty of room a longer one would not interfere back there. The mower clutch must mount to a shaft adapter on the flywheel as it looks to stick out quite a ways.

#10 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 11:46 AM

Here's the spec for the engine and a picture of how the belt drive works... Would anyone here have the brake linkage for one of these? This one looks homemade and doesn't work very well.uploadfromtaptalk1428597964502.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1428597969725.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1428597974037.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1428597979394.jpg

Edited by RAJ, April 09, 2015 - 11:48 AM.

#11 gopher ONLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 566 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 05:32 PM

It looks all factory. Cant tell by photo if it has compression spring on back side of band. Like hydrives appears mostly for parking not sure how your to slow down with a gear drive. You could try to adjust band tighter.

• RAJ said thank you

#12 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 04:53 PM

It looks all factory. Cant tell by photo if it has compression spring on back side of band. Like hydrives appears mostly for parking not sure how your to slow down with a gear drive. You could try to adjust band tighter.

It might just be a little crude looking from the factory. There is some adjustment in it that might help.

#13 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted May 21, 2015 - 11:04 AM

I sold this tractor to a friend last week. Unfortunately the connecting rod was broke in about 5 pieces but he said the block and cylinder appear to be OK. He has already ordered parts and has the hood stripped for paint. I will post a picture when I get one.

Does anyone know where to find new motor mounts for these?

#14 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted May 21, 2015 - 04:52 PM

If it's the same as the Case 444:    McMaster-Carr part # 6008k33

McMaster-Carr doesn't sell to individuals in Canada (don't know why - they wouldn't say), but was able to get them here:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3a5aa4293d

• RAJ said thank you

#15 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted May 21, 2015 - 08:59 PM

I couldn't say, but I would assume they would be the same? Either way, thank you! Gives me some place to look.