• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,011 Thanks
  • 836 posts

Posted April 02, 2015 - 06:00 PM

Hi all, I've been working on the 48" deck for the PK its the newer version with the parallel hitch, checked the spindles all rotate nice and smooth greased them, check the idler pulleys all roll nice, sharpened and balanced the blades installed a new deck belt and installed the deck on the tractor, tried the PTO clutch and it worked as it should was a bit surprised at the amount of nosie generated by the deck while running, went out with it and tried mowing some old dry grass it mowed good did a nice even cut. now for my question what speed / gear do you guys that mow with the PK use? My tractor has the 4 peed trans and I found that 2nd gear was really slow but 3rd seemed a bit fast, and do these decks tend to be noisy ?

• Genem, TenPn and RonelioKi have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted April 02, 2015 - 09:32 PM

Noisy yes, may get smoother with use. 2nd gear, bit fast as SAID, 1st slow. Medium throttle may be enough? Or, just learn to mow quicker.
  • MNGB said thank you

#3 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,011 Thanks
  • 836 posts

Posted April 02, 2015 - 10:04 PM

Thanks Grumpy, glad to hear the noise is normal yea probably could get use to mowing faster.

#4 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted April 03, 2015 - 06:30 AM

I used to have a PK with the 4 speed tranny and I usually used 3rd to cut grass unless the grass got thick and heavy, then I would gear down to 2nd.  The decks can be noisey.  I always used to wear ear muffs when mowing in the later years.  I have heard some pretty quiet decks but, for the most part, they all like to make their presence known.  I have a good deck shel for a 48" mower should you ever need it.  I bought it for my brother who ended up just buying my tractor with a good deck and didn't need the shell.  I know I'll take a bath on it but I have no use for it.

• MNGB said thank you

#5 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,011 Thanks
  • 836 posts

Posted April 03, 2015 - 12:24 PM

Hi David, thanks for the information good to know that its pretty normal and that mowing in 3rd gear will work, I really don't think I'll use the PK much for mowing I have a couple of Husqvarna's a couple of Sears Suburbans and A GT5000 with a 54" deck but I wanted to get it cleaned up and working as it should.

#6 Austen ONLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 855 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 11:16 PM

The decks are very noisy. I always wear ear protection too.

I mow in 1st gear but I do a lot of turning so speed isn't a necessity.

• MNGB said thank you