• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Vintagetractorguy OFFLINE  

Vintagetractorguy
  • Member No: 67880
  • 10 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted April 02, 2015 - 12:11 PM

HELLO I HAVE A CHANCE AT BUYING A BIG TEN ALLIS CHALMERS FROM A LOCAL GUY. OK HERES WHAT I KNOW ABOUT IT FROM SEEING IT. THE TRACTOR DOES RUN AND HAS A 42 INCH DECK UNDER IT THE BELT IS MISSING ON THE DECK TO THE PTO DRIVE SO CANT RUN THE DECK BUT I CHECKED THE SPINDELS AND THEY ARE STIFF AND HARD TO TURN AND THE DECK HAS SURFACE RUST THE SEAT IS TORN AND SHOULD BE REPLACED AND THE PAINT HAS ALOT OF SURFACE RUST ON IT AND THE ONE THING THAT I NOTICED REALY BAD IS THAT THE GEAR BOX WHEN I TURN IT BY HAND HAS ALOT OF PLAY IN IT. IT ALSO HAS A SNOW BLOWER WITH IT BUT ITS THE WRONG BLOWER FOR THIS MODEL. THE GUY WANTS $400.00 FOR IT AND i TOLD HIM ID GIVE HIM $325.00 WOULD THIS BE A FAR OFFER FOR THE SHAPE THAT IT IS IN. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT OR INFO THANK U.

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted April 02, 2015 - 01:09 PM

First, the Big Ten is fifty years old and one of my favorite tractors. The price is high to me but, prices vary by area. Go to Youtube and look up Big Tens. There is a guy ZippoVarga who did a very good series on evaluating the condition of B10s (Big Ten was just a transition year). You can check out  www.simpletractors.com for detailed information on the history. The gear box can be expensive to repair. I would probably not offer nearly as much as you have. My Big Ten wasn't running but had the deck, and vacuum systen with the trailer for $150 6 years ago. My gas tank was rotted out and my engine tin needed to be replaced. When all fixed up, it is a fun tractor to operate. Good Luck, Rick

• Vintagetractorguy said thank you

#3 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,911 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted April 02, 2015 - 01:09 PM

Picture's would help a lot  but going by your description  I would look for a better one, have you shopped craigslist in your surrounding area looked on ebay . To answer your question honestly  I would not pay anywhere near  that because of the cost to repair. Hank

#4 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted April 02, 2015 - 01:18 PM

If the blower doesn't go with the tractor....work that out of the deal.  Decks are a dime a dozen, and putting new spindles in will cost more than a decent used deck.  If it only needs bearings, cost is a toss up.  A used bevel gear box will run you $100, unless you find a deal.  New gears to repair it would cost much more.  

The tractor does not sound like a deal at $325, IMO, unless there are options or accessories on it that haven't been mentioned.  It's not a big ripoff for a running machine though, either (location is a big factor, but you can ship one from just about anywhere, that is a great deal, for under $200).  A Big Ten/B10/B110 in average cosmetic condition that runs and mows and needs no repair, might be a $400 tractor.  Prices rise with options/accessories, or better than average condition.

• HANKG said thank you

#5 AfterShock95 OFFLINE  

AfterShock95
  • Member No: 63122
  • 420 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted April 02, 2015 - 01:50 PM

Big ten are great tractors as everyone said I bought mine for 100 with a snow plow I bought a 64 simplicity landlord 3 weeks ago with a mower deck snow plow and a factory simplicity lawn aerator and I bought it for 100 also but the 64 was a barn find . Check the bgb for play . I'm not going to talk you out of it you give him a price it's hard to back out of a price you set

#6 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted April 02, 2015 - 08:16 PM

:ditto: :ok: :iagree:   Check for accessories, original lights and brackets will add to the value.  I would offer more like $200 or less.  I have a big ten and love it, got two of them with lots of attachments for $400 about 10 years ago and they ran good.

Pete

#7 Vintagetractorguy OFFLINE  

Vintagetractorguy
  • Member No: 67880
  • 10 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted April 03, 2015 - 05:10 AM

Thank you everyone for your opions and information Ill give it some time and wait and then ill go back with a new offer for it and see what happens Thank u all agian