I had a tire on the FF start leaking slowly out the sidewall. Finally got a tube to put in it. The front wheels were looking rather crusty with lots of 'patina', so I thought I would put some paint on while I had the tire broke down.
I broke the beads with the HF tire machine. Then I got out my small wheel holder. I built this some time back. It works real good, though more weight would make life easier. Either that, or make a way to tie it to the slab.
I took the leaking tire completely off the wheel. Thought that might work best to clean the internal wheel area. It wasn't as bad as I thought. With the tire off, I cleaned all old grease residue using a mix of gas and diesel. Then a bath in degreaser followed with a clean water rinse. Got out the wire wheels and removed as much as I could get to. Then broke out the sandpaper. Kept an air blower handy to blow the dust (patina) away. Hands were too filthy to get pics here.
Once the sanding was done, I cleaned and dried the wheels again. Gave all surfaces a coat of Rustoleum Rust Reformer and let that set 24 hours per instructions.
Next up was to apply the finish paint. This being a Sears, I chose the Rustoleum Hammered Silver. I used that on the back wheels. I painted the interior surface of the wheel and around the valve stem hole since I am putting a tube in this. While that was drying I made some cushions to go between the wheel and the pipe on the holder so as not to scar the paint. I used some foam back flooring to make these.
Here's my cup of soap to help getting the tire back on the wheel. It's just leftover bath soap cut into small pieces and soaking in water. Had this going 3-4 years now.
Here I had the wheel mounted on the holder and am starting the tire back on.
This shows the tire and tube installed on the holder.
Now it's ready for final paint. I have some foam pieces I stuff in the bushings to keep paint out of there.
I cut some cartons up to mask the tire and taped the valve stem off. Time to spray.
To do the other side, I used two sawhorses spread so the tire rested on each. That way I could spray the back while the front is drying. Here's how it looks now.
A before of the tractor: