OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted March 31, 2015 - 12:09 AM

... and although "some" collectors are willing to spend a ridiculous amount of money like this, I don't think it's fair to judge or put "all" of the John Deere collectors into the same classification as what you call abnormal. 

With highest Sincerely,

Troy

Yeah, you are right, I definitely should have said SOME.

I know I have "stepped up" a time or two for some of the rare stuff, but I can't think of anything that I've bought that fell into the 'insane' level.

In most cases I've managed to get really good deals. For instance, I have a front mounted generator for the tube frames, and paid $200.00 for it.

Even in the "Bolens world" you see insane ASKING prices, but it's rare to see any one actually paying those prices.

• Littledeere and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#17 karl ONLINE  

karl
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,065 Thanks
  • 788 posts

Posted March 31, 2015 - 03:07 AM

YES, the insane level....it seems alot of asking prices I see are in that level.and someone in need who has been dreaming to long falls right in,hook line and sinker.some people might just right as well sit on their hands! all things come to those who wait.and it helps to maintain a sane priceing index also.

Edited by karl, March 31, 2015 - 03:13 AM.

• Littledeere said thank you

#18 cumminsdeere87 OFFLINE  

cumminsdeere87
  • Member No: 64961
  • 16 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted March 31, 2015 - 03:48 AM

To each their own but i love knowing the stuff i collect holds its value well. You all should feel the same nothing else in the country we live in holds its value anymore. My dad and i have collected s gauge american flyer trains for years and years and have 122 boxed original sets. Go look up some of those prices on ebay. Blow the doors of some of these prices but we like to know their worth something. We have a huge layout in dads basement.

#19 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted March 31, 2015 - 06:53 AM

I think that the whole world is crazy except me and thee, and I sometimes wonder about thee!

• Littledeere and karl have said thanks

#20 Littledeere OFFLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted March 31, 2015 - 05:21 PM

I think Troy is right, Deere prices are something like parts for a Rolls Royce.. you know if you own one, that you will pay top dollar for some pieces of your puzzle.  You know it before you buy it.

Although that still doesn't explain away what ol' CW McCall said (with creative liberties) "You don't have to be crazy to buy a Deere, but it helps..."  :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Ben W.

Ben did you just call me crazy (I think you did } well I am a little crazy but sometimes I think you get into ego win you have bids like these .

OH And I still think you called me crazy :smilewink:    :D  :wave:  :thumbs:  :rolling:  :dancingbanana:  

• superaben said thank you

#21 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,275 Thanks
  • 1,770 posts

Posted April 01, 2015 - 07:22 PM

I do know that they are kind of rare but that must have been two hard heads there or maybe there just fishing

I checked bidding history and a bunch of different bidders.

#22 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 01, 2015 - 07:49 PM

Ben did you just call me crazy (I think you did } well I am a little crazy but sometimes I think you get into ego win you have bids like these .

OH And I still think you called me crazy :smilewink:    :D  :wave:  :thumbs:  :rolling:  :dancingbanana:  

:poke: :poke:

Why are you letting that bother you?  Do you happen to have a guilty conscience about being crazy?  :smilewink:

Ben W.

• LPBolens and Littledeere have said thanks