Garden Tractor Forums banner

I worked on the old Page tractor today.

4K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  classic 
#1 ·
I decided to remove most of the stuff that was added to the tractor over time.I actually had the correct seat for it laying around and I installed one of the Briggs gas tanks that the guy gave me with the tractor. It looks like I will have to fabricate a hood and lift arm assembly to get this tractor back to as close to original as possible. I'm going to install another coil in it and get the engine fired up to see how it runs. I had to borrow the top cover assembly from my '56 PK since the one that came with the Page has a worn shifter button. The trans shifts fine now and the clutch seems to be working. I'm working on other projects, so I don't plan on spending too much time on this tractor right now. I at least want to get it running and driving for now, though. The Paige has original red paint under the orange, and I found a couple of pics of what I think the tractor originally looked like. There really isn't much info out there on these machines.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
The dash tag is missing, so I have no way to properly ID it. Page is cast on the knuckles as you mentioned. I don't see any traces of blue or green paint anywhere, just red under the orange. I don't know if the plow is original, but that is painted red, also.

#7 ·
Thanks for the help and info guys, I appreciate it. I would like to bring this tractor back to what it once was, and any pics or info would be great. Here is another pic that I took of the tractor yesterday before removing the added on lights and hydraulics. The dash has been butchered and the tag is gone if it were there.

Attachments

#9 ·
This was from the Nittany show at Centre Hall,pa.Not very good pics.

Attachments

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Adam, Jim's tractor is the orange one. the pics of the red one are just for comparison. I have seen Red-E's without sheetmetal and have a tag on the hogshead like an Economy. Not sure if Page ever did that or not. I can't recall seeing one. This one has Page weights on the back..
Doug, the original poster actuall posted pictures of three different tractors.

Quick history run down.

Red-E Tractor sold many equipment manufactured by other company's. Pioneer MFG Co. purchased Page. Pioneer later became Red-E Company.

All of these tractors were manufactured by Page. However during assembly they were Labled Red-E or Page depending which distributor ordered it. These tractor are not to be confused with Engineered Products Company tractors. Red-E Company sold relabled EPCO's from 1951-1957. 1958-1966 Red-E riding tractors were Page built units.

Without a hood and tag you will not be about to identify Page vs. Red-E. Page tractors were never painted red. Page tractor also had a decorative raised strip on the hood where Red-E's did not.

Also, If you ordered wheel weights with your Red-E they were cast Page aswell.

The only reason I believe this tractor was "labeled" Red-E is due to the red paint. Page tractors were green or blue,

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
The hubs are just reversed. I've seen them installed both ways on the pics I've seen so far. I worked on the engine this morning and it's alive! The points and condenser were crusty, the points plunger was stuck, and the old three leg armature was a crusty mess. I had another 3 leg armature, points and condenser. I cleaned the flywheel magnet, freed up the points plunger, and installed everything. I also changed out the carb with a known good one. I gave it a shot of starting fluid and it ran for a second. I installed a clean sediment bowl and a new fuel line and put gas in the tank. I gave the rope a pull and it started right up! I adjusted the carb and took the tractor for a ride. Man is this thing a snail, but all of the gears work and it's a fun little machine to drive. I have to hook up a kill switch and choke and throttle cables now.

Attachments

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've been noticing that the rear fenders have been mounted at different heights on some of the Page tractors, and some have different fender mounts. There are other differences also. There is red paint under the orange paint on my engine, so I'm thinking it's the original engine, and my tractor may have been made in '64 or '65,due to the engine date code.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.