Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

420 gurus out there, looking good for electrical help.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,398 Thanks
  • 1,229 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 09:25 PM

I have a John Deere 420 I'm working on. History is it was a fire victim. Burnt most the wiring and caused a handful of oil leaks. PO got it running but not charging with a mess of backyard wiring. I get it, and take the task of replacing the harness and fixing leaky gaskets. Engine is ready and I'm now installing the harness. First off, this is a P220 that the PO switched to points due to the pickup module being burnt. He had the parts. So, I decide tot run with that. I purchased a harness for the B series complete with all the switches attached. Seems straight forward right, wrong. A simple diagram will solve most issues. One is the starter has a solenoid when this harness uses uses a remote. No big deal. I can bypass the starter mounted. Other question pertain to the oil light. I don't see any provisions for the sensor hookup. Did the early tractors have no such warning light? Then the regulator wiring and ignition wiring. I'm looking for a diagram so I can see what wires are what on the 3 prong going to the engine. Which is the 2 regulators? Which is for the coil? Thanks in advance.

Eric

PS: this is my proposed mower and it's getting warmer. I procrastinated a little too long haha!
  • larisaPn said thank you

#2 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,398 Thanks
  • 1,229 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 09:52 PM

Now, if this plug is similar to the other open frame tractors ie: 316, 318, 322, 332 etc. The red wire should be regulator power. Green wire is the voltage sensor wire for regulator. The third which I think know is white (dirty) is the coil. I did a couple charging fixes to friends tractors to prevent what probably caused this fire. I will also do the same to this but first need to verify the wire identification.

One thing that stumps me is the regulator. I just recently fixed a 332 wiring with the external stator and 5 prong regulator. Everything I read says my 420 should only have a 3 prong regulator. Does this mean the sensor wire and power wire are the same on the 3 prongs? The other 2 I'm assuming are for the ac wires coming from the stator?
Eric

Edited by dropped82, March 29, 2015 - 10:26 PM.

#3 hdg4400 OFFLINE  

hdg4400

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6945
  • 254 Thanks
  • 326 posts

Posted March 30, 2015 - 08:31 AM

Eric (dropped82):

Check your Personal Messages. I have some info that might help.

Harlan

• dropped82 said thank you

#4 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,398 Thanks
  • 1,229 posts

Posted April 12, 2015 - 10:35 PM

Can someone with a 420 and a 3 wire voltage regulator tell me if the center (power) prong has power even with the key switch off? That's what I'm getting coming from the factory harness and just want to make sure. What I see in a diagram, I think I should. I know the constant power can't run to the coil. That would not be good for points (and the fuel pump I added). That's the only thing I have to tie up and I can completely reassemble it, hook the deck up, and mow! Thanks again.

Oh and my grass is trembling haha!

Eric

#5 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,398 Thanks
  • 1,229 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 02:51 PM

Even someone with a 316/318 would have the same setup. Pretty much an Onan regulator from what I can see.

Eric

#6 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,398 Thanks
  • 1,229 posts

Posted April 13, 2015 - 08:48 PM

So...After losing what lite hair I have here are my issues. I lose power to the coil while cranking. I figured out the regulator does get a constant hot wire and that is OK per wiring diagram. I'm starting to point at the delay module. Especially after testing pto power using 2 different switches. It also runs through that magic box. Seems with the key on, I have power to the pto. So no matter the switch position, the pto is on. I hate to buy another module at the inflated price. Researching bypassing it all together. Anyone ever done this? The starting safety circuit can still work as designed without the module as it does on other brands without one. Seems I may lose my charging light unless I swap to a 5 prong regulator that has indicator control. Can still have the oil light by skipping around the module also. Any suggestions?

Eric

#7 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,398 Thanks
  • 1,229 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 10:08 PM

Well, got the wiring sorted out. Everything operates as it should. Lights on the dash work. Everything seemed great. Then I installed the pto. Turned on the key and was all good. Started the tractor and engaged the pto. Again things seemed great. The. It started smoking. Basically, the rotor is dragging on the coil windings. What can I do to stop this? I don't see any way to adjust this. It smokes pretty bad. The rotor and windings got hot pretty quickly. I disconnected any power so it's obviously the friction. Any suggestions?

Eric