25 replies to this topic

#1 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 07:40 PM

I've mentioned in the past that my father was murdered when I was 6. When his belongings were split my dad decided that he'd pick my father's farm stuff as one of my items. I'm sure most of you won't care about this thread but you guys are the closest thing I've got to friends who piddle like i (he) did. Over the years I've been pulling some of this stuff from dad's barn attic (I really appreciate the hours he spent hauling and storing this stuff ) I brought another load home this weekend.

I've been cleaning drill bits from a box that he made. I find it funny that even though I never really knew him that our storage methods are the same.

uploadfromtaptalk1427675980972.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1427675996503.jpg
  • olcowhand, MH81, grnspot110 and 23 others have said thanks

#2 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 07:43 PM

I will also be asking what some of this stuff is. Like these?

uploadfromtaptalk1427676147620.jpg

Then I have to wonder why he made things like this ...

uploadfromtaptalk1427676183736.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1427676196783.jpg
  • MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, hamman and 8 others have said thanks

#3 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 07:56 PM

What about this? Gate hinges from what I can tell.
uploadfromtaptalk1427676921250.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1427676938905.jpg
  • Texas Deere and Horse, hamman, tinbender7 and 4 others have said thanks

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,219 Thanks
  • 28,590 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 08:28 PM

I too, have been going thru some of my fathers belongings.
Interesting look into the mind of the man.

The little aluminum things, I will noodle... They look familiar.
The red can, I've seen similar things used as tool holders on some tractors and attachments.
The gate pieces, they could also be off old cupboards, industrial storage, or even house latches.
Some of that stuff is in demand as people try to make their houses look older or give them unique character.

Don't discount the fact that many will look at the pics... I will anyways. Oh, and that's a nice box of bits you have.
  • hamman, tinbender7, Cvans and 2 others have said thanks

#5 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,707 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 08:32 PM

Those "buttons" appear to be for the center of some kind of puller. They insert into the center of the screw so that the screw will stay centered on the shaft.

Or

They could be center marking guides (Transfer punch), for transferring a drilled whole on to a metal blank. The piece is placed in a drilled whole, then a matching piece is laid on top, a little tap with a hammer, and the drill center is transferred to the new piece.

Edited by Bmerf, March 29, 2015 - 08:37 PM.

• hamman, Cvans, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#6 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 564 Thanks
  • 626 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 08:33 PM

I will also be asking what some of this stuff is. Like these?

attachicon.gif20150329_204047.jpg

Then I have to wonder why he made things like this ...

attachicon.gif20150329_204101.jpg

attachicon.gif20150329_204110.jpg

I don't know what they are called but sure they use in wood working for centering holes on adjoining pieces of wood.Think used mostly for dowels. Different sizes for standard dowels  

Edited by gopher, March 29, 2015 - 08:40 PM.

• MH81, Alc, hamman and 4 others have said thanks

#7 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 08:36 PM

That would make sense seeing how woodworking was one of his hobbies. I bet I've got 20 homemade boxes. Some work quality like the drill bit box some are high end.
  • hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#8 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 08:40 PM

! think you under-estimate what the folks here would look at.  ANY pictures that I can see will be looked at and commented upon.  First off, I'm so sorry you had to endure that in-excusible act in your young life.  Nobody should have to go through something like that.  I for one find the pictures fascinating.  What interests me is the fact that there is a story behind all of those things.  They are stories that all relate back to your father.  I think it's great that your dad took all that time and effort to ensure you had some things to have and hold to give you that personal connection to your father.  Perhaps someone in the family could enlighten you on some of these things?  I could go on and unfortunately I can't help you with what any of these are but I do know that they were "dad's" and that is good enough for me.  Thanks for sharing.

• MH81, hamman, HDWildBill and 3 others have said thanks

#9 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 09:15 PM

Sadly there is only one guy alive that really knew my father but he wasn't in the shop enough to know what the stuff was used for. This buttons are aluminum so I doubt they were hit with a hammer. I thought maybe a lathe but I don't have anything that is lathe related.
  • hamman said thank you

#10 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 09:35 PM

If the little aluminum pieces are of different diameters they look like dowel centering points for wood working. Looks like the can would be some sort of holder. I can't get the other pictures to load so can't help much there. I too had the opportunity to go thru some of my dads tools when he passed. He was much more organized than I. Kind of neat to find tools and treasures he had. If try real hard you can study those and really get a feeling of who he was.    Good luck and feel free to show us more. We like seeing the treasures of others and please feel free to share anything with us. This is like a big worldwide family here.              Roger.

• Cvans, boyscout862 and Bmerf have said thanks

#11 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 09:38 PM

I got the latch pics to open. they look like latch and pulls and hinges from an old ice box. Just a guess.    Good luck.                                                     Roger

• MH81 and Cvans have said thanks

#12 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 10:14 PM

The aluminum buttons are called dowel centering pins or markers. Each marker is a different hole size for various dowels. You drill a small hole in one board edge push the marker pin in then slide it over to the board you want to join & it marks the center to drill the other edge of the board ( for joinery ). Their hardly used anymore because of the more common bisquit joiners. The hardware looks like gate latches & hinges. My guess on the red metal can would be to keep flammable shop rags in until you dispose of them or in the country we would toss them out by the shop or barn & light them to get rid of mosquitos.

My dad now 86 puts things away like this too. I have the same habits as well. Oil it up real good, wrap an old rag around it then store it. My dad is a retired machinist & still gives me a handful of drill bits all wrapped up when I go see him. Their prescious to me because they all have the tips broke off because his company would throw them away instead of sharpening. I'm sorry about you not knowing your dad that well but sounds like he had your best interest at heart when you were still a little guy running around. Thanks for sharing the memories of your dad with us. I'm getting choked up about this because my dad wI'll be gone one day & I know I'll be finding his stuff everywhere.

Edited by Sawdust, March 29, 2015 - 10:16 PM.

• MH81, hamman, Cvans and 2 others have said thanks

#13 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 10:33 PM

Thanks sawdust. I have all this woodworking stuff that I may try to make something. Chisels are something I haven't seen. I'm sure he had them as I have stuff that he inlayed.
  • hamman and Sawdust have said thanks

#14 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,444 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted March 30, 2015 - 05:32 AM

Those items and tools from your dad will be some of your most prized possessions .  My father died when I was only 5 years old ( 50 years ago )   A few thing that I have from him will be with me forever .  

• MH81, TomLGT195 and Sawdust have said thanks

#15 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 30, 2015 - 06:40 AM

I also enjoy looking at this sort of thread. These items from the past always make me think of the people who used them. I'll also vote for dowel centres. You can still buy sets of .them at places like Lee Valley Tools. 

• Bmerf, Sawdust and Buddy have said thanks