#16 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted May 09, 2015 - 10:12 PM

Mote done today, tunnel and dash and some wiring. Hooked up the old harness and battery and got out the start fluid and it cranked, fired right off and ran as long as I sprayed some in it. Very happy about that. Couldn't keep it going and try the hydraulics or pedal drive, not enough hands and limbs to do all that. Gotta get some rubber strips for the tank and mount it, and should be good for gas then. Next biggest item is gonna be the hood/grill parts.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150509_225523.jpg
  • 20150509_225508.jpg
  • 20150509_225454.jpg
  • 20150509_225441.jpg

Edited by glgrumpy, May 09, 2015 - 11:25 PM.

#17 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted May 24, 2015 - 09:08 PM

Hood all Shiney red now. Be getting that on soon. Still haven't found gas tank mount rubber. Gotta get more serious on doing that now.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150524_205649.jpg
  • 20150524_205533.jpg

#18 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 11:51 AM

Hood's on, lights back in. They work!  This darn tractor won't crank now. Have had trouble in past with Smoke coming out of key switch when cranking, and even tho have had working again, doing that again! Tried one off parts tractor and it does Nothing!  These things are stupid switches that carry the battery cables right thru it to feed starter. They ARE NOT heavy enough or big enough terminals to do that in my opin. SO, going to rig up a selonoid like most other makers have and rplace the switch then also. Must have been a cost saving idea to do this way, but is poor one I believe.

Gas tank mounted now, bought 12" square of red rubber and cut in strips and just taped them on the mount to hold while mounting tank and pressure from ring clamps should hold in place after that. Had to add a small nipple and connector on valve to move down a little once clamps were in place, the line didn't clear the mounts in position I wanted them in if I didn't lengthen. Good now. A little gas in it and cranking should start. Cranking being the part that is NOT working now, see  above note.

Edited by glgrumpy, May 31, 2015 - 11:56 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#19 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 07:43 PM

Wow! Runs, kinda odd, needs tinkering, but runs!  Fixed tank fitting and good for fuel now, but have to keep enough in it, the valve is actually a little lower than carb, not much, but enough it doesn't stay running with a little gas still in it. Added more gas then! Went to my local ACE hardware, the store with everything and believe or not had a selinoid and an Indak key switch for Mags. Switch was only $14 and selinoid about $18, so think pretty good prices. They were in Stems bags.  Wired it all up and mounted and worked!  Then darn battery acting dead, couldn't pull motor over the compression. Charging on that didn't seem to be going too good. Finally pulled points cover and messed with them again, closed up some.  Would run, but be rich. Seemed to idle rich too. SO, some needle tweaking and got better for idle, but then hi speed would clean up, but in a few mins be richy acting again. Carb was doing usual Briggs lead/dripping from air horn. Might have float too high?  Or too low and no shut off?  I let it charge awhile and did other things and came back. Started right up with good battery and stayed running, then quit, no spark. Pulled plug to check and nothing. Another plug, no good! Huh?? Realized the ground wire for mag off points box cover had layed over onto the block and shorting out. Brain Fart!  Moved it away and started again. This time run long time, trying diff speeds and settings. Seems one setting messed the other needle up and had to go back and forth. Think I have now where it is gonna start OK, then rev up OK, but needing to clean itself out some to get full revs. Then the throttle cable clips broke off on one of them and now not as wide open on lever. SO, back to Ace for those. These are a little weird W shaped thing at you squeeze over the cable housing to hold it from sliding. First time I've seen them, instead of the nuts they used on PK's, and believe it  or not ACE has those in diff sizes!!  I tried to re-use the old one, but guess they don't take much flexing before breaking in half. While running I put in gear and ran the pedal to hydro and it seems to want to go and be real smooth, forward and back, woopee!  Need to touch up some little items and can take out for a ride. Was crappy rainy day here for that and had to come in for night, so didn't try that out yet. I think with little more running and driving engine should tune better and be good. I've got the muffler off to be able to reach the points and things, so that has to go back on too. Wonder if tuning will change??  Whole garage for of slightly smoky exhaust before I quit. Shame on me for running with no door open, I've been bitten by that before.  This thing is making me happy once again, after giving me fits last few days when it didn't want to work for me.  Still need decals,, my maker of those has not gotten back to me yet.  I also need a few for the Mama's tractor that he can make I hope. He has in past.

• KennyP and TAHOE have said thanks

#20 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted June 02, 2015 - 06:18 PM

Part 2 running good. Carb still leaking, but not as driving, just when it sets after off. Put muffler and air cleaner back on, had to tweak settings, thought I would, but got it running well now. Starts right up. Battery is charging off the engine, so happy. Mounted up what THEY consider the 3pt hitch. This tractor drives pretty slow, even in the high range. So low range is REAL SLOW then. I bet would take a long time to mow a yard, heh! Gardener's would like it that slow way, I guess. Here's some pictures. Had it out some and running around. 3pt hydraulics didn't seem to want to work well at first, but they came around and work OK, but kinda noisy. Up and down pretty quick. Haven't found any float position, so not sure it has that feature or ?? STILL need to paint wheels. Not sure if gonna be White as they are, or that neat Orange I put on my last one. Lots of them earlier were Yellow, never cared for that much. This tractor kinda hard to get on, no room to swing legs around w/out some effort. Once in seat, it's kinda high feeling, up over the hood height and the darn steering wheel is too low really and down in your crotch. Could use a 2 to 3" extension to be right. Many speedex's I have had are same way and feel like you need extensions on it. I DID that to my other finished speedex, now sold. Darn thing does not turn sharp at all going left, yet is very sharp turning to right. Both ways are hitting the stops looks like, just the way it is going to be.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150602_180013.jpg
  • 20150602_175943.jpg
  • 20150602_175928.jpg
  • 20150602_175915.jpg
  • 20150602_175902.jpg

Edited by glgrumpy, June 02, 2015 - 06:27 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#21 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted June 02, 2015 - 06:50 PM

Looks good, GL! Glad it's going your way!

#22 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 09:55 PM

Need to paint wheels, not sure color. White is normal, but boring. I don't like Spdx yellow and thinking silver, then maybe red centers on back only.What think?

#23 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted June 26, 2015 - 07:58 PM

Wheels painted and mounted now with Case/IH Silver, like used on wheels. Kinda Metallic, good stuff. Pictures later, nothing but ran today and not much shop time besides mounting the wheels on after getting from tire store. They mounted both rears With tubes for only $7. Think much better than my wrestling with them. AND, they did NO scratches to the rims, we are good!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150627_185725.jpg
  • 20150627_185821.jpg

Edited by glgrumpy, June 27, 2015 - 07:00 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#24 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted June 30, 2015 - 05:43 PM

Pix of bumper/rack painted and mounted.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150630_140130.jpg
  • 20150630_140119.jpg

#25 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,297 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted July 01, 2015 - 09:07 AM

Man, I can't get over how far out that thing sticks.
Looks good on there GL.
Glad you stuck with the tractor.

Did you ever get the drip in the carb fixed, how about steering left and right?

#26 tiretrx ONLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 931 Thanks
  • 679 posts

Posted July 01, 2015 - 10:32 AM

Fine looking machine, nice work :thumbs:

#27 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted July 01, 2015 - 01:10 PM

MH81, carb still drips when parked if I don't turn gas tanl off. I will be looking into that when can, before more shows.  The steering? don't recall what problem?  Steers OK, BUT, did have to bend the steer arm on one spindle UP to go over that front attach bracket that mounts to axle. NOW I see why it was bent up at first during tear-down. I had bent straight before paint, but realize now SHOULD have been bent up to clear. Oh, well, was easy bend back up, no changes. Now I should be able to add weights in front and maybe try Grader Box back on this tractor again and see it it will work. No more wheelies while mounted??