• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,353 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted March 16, 2011 - 06:50 AM

I am going to have to tear down my K341 soon. It is replacement engine, gray in color, sheet metal is black. This tractor sat for unknown years. It smokes and uses oil badly. I believe the rings to be stuck. Any way, while inside I had planned to remove the balance gears. Some tell me to have it balanced, some not. This will remain a stock, non-pulling tractor. What do you folks think? Cost of doing a balance is the issue here. This tractor will not see every day usage, nor push snow all winter. Most times, I would probably on run it an hour or two at a time. Thanks.

KennyP

#2 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted March 16, 2011 - 08:54 AM

To balance the engine you will pay $100-150. I dont think you will have much too worry about as you have a factory rotating assembly. If you had the crank off a 12 or 14 that might be something to concerned about.

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,353 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted March 16, 2011 - 09:11 AM

Thanks for the reply, Mike. I will be just removing the balance gears while there. Otherwise, only new rings and maybe lap the valves some if needed. That's if all parts are within specs. If I can find a local shop to balance it cheaply enough, then I won't have to wait so long to save $$$ for this.
I'm wondering if I took out the plug and poured a small amount of MMO in there and let it set a few days might help?

#4 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted March 16, 2011 - 09:59 AM

I wouldnt be worried about balancing it. You can only do so much. It has a single cylinder with a 3.25" stroke, its not a Mercedes LOL

Might take a couple times, i dont know. The best thing is to use that in the oil and work it good. Or heat it up good and the poor it in the cylinder. You need the heat to speed up the chemical reaction
  • KennyP said thank you

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,353 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted March 16, 2011 - 10:28 AM

That takes a load of. I will be using new rubber mounts on the carb side. I already have them, other side looks okay. I already have some MMO in the motor, but it used so much while tilling, I may need to add a little more.
A little shaking does bother me, might be good for the old joints in my body.

#6 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 18, 2011 - 07:57 AM

...I'm wondering if I took out the plug and poured a small amount of MMO in there and let it set a few days might help?

I hate to (always) be the dummy LOL, but what is MMO?

#7 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted March 18, 2011 - 08:01 AM

mmo=marvel mystery oil

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,353 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted March 18, 2011 - 08:11 AM

Thanks for stepping in, Chuck. Some people swear by MMO, I haven't used it much, so don't know if it would help free the rings or not. I just know it has been around for a long time, so must have some redeeming qualities. I think my Dad used this back in the seventies.

KennyP

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,556 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted March 18, 2011 - 08:48 AM

Don't worry about the balancing. Been taking the gears out for years, then running the engines for years with no ill effects. A bit more shake with rubber mounts, and with solid mounts, just a tad more vibes, but hardly noticeable.

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,353 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted March 18, 2011 - 12:21 PM

That helps to know. I don't mind a little more vibration, and I will be putting new rubber mounts on the carb side. Those are in pretty bad shape right now. I will try the MMO first, just in case it helps without having to re ring it. I remember my Dad bought a 1958 Ford police car around 1965-6 that was running poorly. He put a quart of tranny fluid in the oil, set the throttle about about 2500 rpms, and started puoring ATF down the carb. Cleared mosquitoes for seveal miles. But once he finished with it, that old Ford would run!!! (I was a senior then.)

#11 thirdroc17 OFFLINE  

thirdroc17

• Member No: 1805
  • 36 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted March 19, 2011 - 07:05 PM

I've left them out, no ill side effects. The K-341 and K-321, aka 16hp and 14hp, cranks are identical and interchangeable. The K-302 is balanced for a lighter piston, so you'd only need to rebalance if you were swapping one of those in, which you are not.