IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 07:07 AM

I was going to suggest trying a different carb, because new stuff isn't always right, but

now knowing the old one did the same thing, that's off the list.

Is the governor shaft moving freely? No binding of the gov linkage against the bushing

nut?

• Alc and superaben have said thanks

#17 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,452 Thanks
  • 6,622 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 07:14 AM

Funny that it runs so well under load , could it be getting TOO much fuel when no load ? Though both carbs did surge so like you said that shouldn't be the problem . Hope you find the problem soon
  • superaben said thank you

#18 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,460 Thanks
  • 1,607 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 08:18 AM

I can't believe someone would actually suggest taking a shotgun to a Kohler engine that is giving them problems. A twenty pound sledge is much more rewarding, and you can curse and holler at it with every swing. The shotgun will only blow holes through the tin, and if you get lucky, you might be able to blow the carb and air cleaner off of it.
  • superaben, Bill 76 and propane1 have said thanks

#19 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 09:16 AM

sure it's a Kohler? Sounds more like a Tecumseh Snow King to me. Those all run like you say, surge like mad til they have a load on them then when you get into a heavy drift they smooth out. especially the POS non adjustable carbs on the newer ones.

The carb you put on; yeah I know that you said it is brand new but is it NOS from back in the day or is it a newer reproduction? Bad casting maybe?

#20 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 11:17 AM

vacuum leak

#21 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 358 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 12:29 PM

When I rebuilt my 10 HP Kohler it had a surge problem similar to what you described. Since it was a rebuild I kept going through all the adjustments with no change then I remembered that the flywheel has timing marks. I went through marking the timing marks so that they were easy to identify & put a timing light on it. My timing light is adjustable & playing with found that the points needed adjustment. This adjustment is so small that the feeler gauge still fits but has some more resistance to moving it under the points. Now when ever I suspect an ignition problem I use the timing light before I do anything else on the ignition.

Charlie

• Alc, boyscout862, LilysDad and 2 others have said thanks

#22 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,641 Thanks
  • 1,057 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 02:51 PM

Sounds like every things covered so the only last words I can think of is

May the lord have mercy on its soul.

• Alc, KennyP, Trav1s and 1 other said thanks

#23 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 03:56 PM

Ben, just throwing this out. I had a 8HP briggs on a chipper I bought used. It had the same symptoms you described. I finally noticed when it was accelerating it was spitting gas out the carb and I found the intake valve wasn't quite seating completely. I fed it a really heavy dose of MMoil right in the carb throat for about a minute and chased off lots of bugs while doing it,LOL!! After it got all the MM burned out and it ran smooth and good until I sold it.

Mike

• MH81, Alc, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#24 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 04:10 PM

While looking through all the responses I was also just thinking that carbon buildup could be a problem. If you haven't already it may be a good time to pull the head for a look!  I had a K321 that was running like crap and spitting oil out the breather. Cleaned the carbon and I was able to get it running pretty good.

• boyscout862 and superaben have said thanks

#25 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,108 Thanks
  • 3,200 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 05:58 PM

Transmission oil in the gas and oil. Make it do some work to get it warmed up and see what happens. Fixed two problem myself that way. Sticking exhaust valve in a kohler k 14 hp engine and the govenor in my 1951 ferguson farm tractor. Both work great now. Noel

#26 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 09:13 PM

Any loose screws that may have fell into the carb?

Any stripped threads around the spark plug hole?

I think I know you better than this, but throwing it out there anyway, might there be a head gasket leak?

May be a dumb question, but is the voltage regulator working properly? Maybe a bad connection that is intermittent? Is your voltage reading the same during the surging?

Is the governor arm connected tightly? 

Could the cam shaft be damaged or bent?

#27 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 30, 2015 - 10:05 PM

I'm lacking time to reply to each individual comment, but I want to say a big THANK YOU! to all you who threw out ideas.  Just because I'm not replying to you doesn't mean it wasn't a good idea, it just means you are not as important as my beauty rest and I'm tired and grumpy.  That's a warning, Cat.  Don't mess with me. 

I have not had a chance to mess with it yesterday or today.  Too many other irons in the fire. 

I'm going with the carbon idea.  Maybe even the head gasket idea.  Its worth a try.  It has great compression so I was not going that way, but otherwise we're running out of ideas.

sure it's a Kohler? Sounds more like a Tecumseh Snow King to me. Those all run like you say, surge like mad til they have a load on them then when you get into a heavy drift they smooth out. especially the POS non adjustable carbs on the newer ones.

The carb you put on; yeah I know that you said it is brand new but is it NOS from back in the day or is it a newer reproduction? Bad casting maybe?

It is a new reproduction.  They do work great.  I only have had one that failed me, and that really wasn't its fault.  Whoever had installed the main jet had mashed it down and destroyed it. 

You do know about a Snow King, though... funny how anyone who has really been around them remembers that surging. 

I think I know you better than this, but throwing it out there anyway, might there be a head gasket leak?

May be a dumb question, but is the voltage regulator working properly? Maybe a bad connection that is intermittent? Is your voltage reading the same during the surging?

Is the governor arm connected tightly? 

I did install a take up spring on the governor linkage, since it has the typical slop in it.  No improvement.

The voltage regulator is an interesting idea, but I did run the engine off a separate battery than the tractor for kicks and giggles and nothing changed.  I have had a bad wire or key switch cause ignition woes in my history. 

There could very well be a head gasket leak once the engine gets warm, although both a compression test and (excessive for a Kohler K) a leakdown test did not find it.   I will try that.

I can't believe someone would actually suggest taking a shotgun to a Kohler engine that is giving them problems. A twenty pound sledge is much more rewarding, and you can curse and holler at it with every swing. The shotgun will only blow holes through the tin, and if you get lucky, you might be able to blow the carb and air cleaner off of it.

OK, I recant of the shotgun idea.  I'll bring home one of my mini excavators and rock breaker and really go to town. 

Actually, now I'm to the point of where this engine will not win! 

Ben W.

• Alc, johndeereelfman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#28 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,727 Thanks
  • 8,908 posts

Posted March 31, 2015 - 04:23 AM

If 'beauty' rest is what you're shooting for, we'll talk to you in May.

#29 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,108 Thanks
  • 3,200 posts

Posted March 31, 2015 - 05:06 PM

Just wondering if you found the problem, Ben ? I would like to know what you find. Noel
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#30 EricR OFFLINE  

EricR
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9495
  • 393 Thanks
  • 278 posts

Posted March 31, 2015 - 09:51 PM

I would like to know what you find also!!!

• boyscout862 and superaben have said thanks