• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,449 Thanks
  • 3,359 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 08:14 AM

I'm a little lost, but I assume the solenoid is working?

#17 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,472 Thanks
  • 5,006 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 01:21 PM

I'm a little lost, but I assume the solenoid is working?

Yes it was.

If the starter's magnets are not firmly attached to the starter housing they can drag on the armature causing it to not turn. There is very little clearance between the armature and the magnets. If you hear someone say that their starter is dragging this is usually the cause. Most commonly the armature bushings wear until the armature comes in contact with the magnets instead of the magnets coming loose. 

• toppop52 said thank you

#18 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,138 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted June 26, 2015 - 07:28 AM

This is a twin cylinder horizontal shaft Briggs 18hp. engine. Starter on the bottom left side of the engine. The engine is not mounted on rubber.

That is the Briggs L-head engine.  Same engine I have in my G16xt Bolens.  Yes you have to lift the engine to get at the starter.  I would not rebuild that starter as a new on is about $100.  Brushes and the drive end cap is NLA from Briggs and would cost about as much as a new unit.  That engine is supposed to sit on rubber mounts.  Nearly impossibly to find them in usable condition.  I cut several pieces of belting about 2" square and mounted the engine on them with more under the frame mount.  So far it all has worked out great.  Good luck with yours.

#19 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,472 Thanks
  • 5,006 posts

Posted June 26, 2015 - 09:14 PM

That engine is supposed to sit on rubber mounts.  Nearly impossibly to find them in usable condition. 

How many do you want. I have at least 4 and may have 8. The tractor runs much smoother with less shake after mounting it solid to the frame. The mounts they used were way too soft and allowed the engine to float all over the place. That's why most of the mounts were torn and unusable. Also the reason many of the cooling shrouds are cracked on those tractors. 

The story didn't end with the last post. After he got the tractor home and mowed with it everything worked great. Then he went to put the tractor away and it wouldn't start again. Turned out it was his ignition switch which was an easy fix. The next time he went to mow it wouldn't start again. Have I mentioned this is getting old. We visit on the phone and after jumping the solenoid the engine starts. replace the solenoid and everything has been working fine with the starter.

As mentioned I replaced the Briggs in the Craftsman with a 12hp Kohler which has worked well for a worn out engine. A week and a half ago I parked it in front of the shop door. Came out to start it and nothing but a funny whizzing noise. Look over at the starter and it is hanging by the wires. The mounting bracket is broken. I'm starting to get a little tired of working on starters. 

I now have a Briggs 11hp to replace the Kohler and I can only hope the starter on that will last the rest of the summer. It was locked up when I got the engine do to lack of use.

• MH81, wvbuzzmaster and KennyP have said thanks

#20 Dpregs OFFLINE  

Dpregs
  • Member No: 51663
  • 72 Thanks
  • 100 posts

Posted June 27, 2015 - 05:39 AM

I had a problem with my starter a few months ago...more like 6 months, but yeah, it was a complete PAIN to do!  Have to pull EVERYTHING to get to it, no other way around it.

• Cvans said thank you