#1 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,518 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 09:49 PM

I have a beautiful GT18 that is all original and has never had a mower deck on it. It came with a 8 hp. Craftsman pull behind tiller and was the only thing it was used for. It has very few hours on it and runs like a clock. Now the problem. Every once in awhile the starter refused to pull in. If I tapped on it while turning the key it would work and start right up. About half the time the tap wasn't necessary. So last summer I decided to pull the engine. Upon inspection the starter looked fine so cleaned everything up and lubed the bushings and then re-installed it. Worked like a charm all summer. Went out today to start it and nothing. If I tap on it sparks come out from the seam where the front housing meets the main body and it also arcs from the main body to the shroud. 

Things I've tried. First I tried using jumpers from a good battery to the starter side of the solenoid and ground directly to the frame of the starter Nothing. :mad2:  Tapped on the starter while jumping and nothing again. The solenoid is closing and there is good voltage to the starter.

Looks like I'm going to have to pull the engine again. This time it is going to be a different starter. Some time in the last few months someone else ran into this same problem. I hope they were able to find a cure on the first try.

Edited by Cvans, March 28, 2015 - 10:31 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse, tinbender7, HDWildBill and 3 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 09:55 PM

Starter rebuild kits are under $20. I suspect you have a worn bushing. Download the engine manual and read about the starter. Its a shame that you have to pull the engine just to get the starter out. Good Luck, Rick

• tinbender7 and Cvans have said thanks

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 10:17 PM

Man, that's a stinker. Been there, been frustrated too.
I believe the last person who was in similar shoes had bought the discount starter on EPAY and it went bad within a year.
  • Cvans said thank you

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 04:59 AM

Chris do you think the sparks your seeing are because it lost the ground inside the starter ?

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,485 Thanks
  • 39,720 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 05:30 AM

Since you have to pull the engine to get the starter off, I suspect this is an Onan? I've got one of those to do!

#6 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,113 Thanks
  • 3,205 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 08:05 AM

Starter not grounded or engine not grounded. Noel

#7 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 08:28 AM

I had a bad negative battery terminal wire drive me nuts once. I even cleaned both ends real good, but it was the wire itself. I put a new starter in my Sears SS/18 and didn't have to pull the engine to do it, and it is an Onan engine on it.

#8 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,765 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 01:10 PM

Since you have to pull the engine to get the starter off, I suspect this is an Onan? I've got one of those to doN

Kenny the vertical shaft twin cyl horizontal opposed briggs have to be pulled to change the starter. IT is a PITA

• KennyP said thank you

#9 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,518 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 02:50 PM

Need to clarify a a couple of things. I ran a ground wire from the starter to the ground on the battery lead. This didn't help. Will have to try from the starter to the ground post on the battery. This is a twin cylinder horizontal shaft Briggs 18hp. engine. Starter on the bottom left side of the engine. The engine is not mounted on rubber. No fuses are blowing and the starter is not getting warm when power is left applied to the start. The starter makes no noise at all. The brushes were good and I turned the commutator when I had the armature out. 

Thanks for the suggestions.

• MH81, KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 03:07 PM

I had an aftermarket on a Teccy and it melted and twisted from use.

post-802-0-71042700-1384127526.jpg
  • Alc, Cvans and Sawdust have said thanks

#11 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,518 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted March 29, 2015 - 08:38 PM

I had an aftermarket on a Teccy and it melted and twisted from use.

That looks really nasty. From what I can tell mine is the original starter. I fabricated and installed a hydraulic lift for this tractor last fall and everything was working fine then. Re-installed the battery yesterday and nothing from the starter. Everything else seems to work fine. I will have to pull it apart and see if the armature is dragging. 

• MH81 said thank you

#12 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 18, 2015 - 08:41 PM

Chris. I have had nothing but trouble from my Briggs opposed twin starting and saw smoke run out one year and now it works fine. I am thinking it was the fact one bolt on the starter was loose. But either way I just pulled the Briggs to repower my GT18. Trust me, the Briggs opposed on mine had a mind of its own, and I got tired of it, could not rely on it at all. I actually drove it to the spot I am doing the engine swap earlier today LOL.

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, April 18, 2015 - 08:41 PM.

• Cvans said thank you

#13 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted April 18, 2015 - 09:18 PM

When you turned your commutator did you clean in between the gaps. It seems like your not getting a good current flow whether it be + or - .

• Cvans said thank you

#14 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,518 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted April 18, 2015 - 10:26 PM

I did clean between the gaps on the commutators. 

Here's what I found out. First I gave the engine to my Son as he needed an engine for his Bolen's. While hanging on the hoist I pulled the starter and disassembled it. One of the magnets had moved in the housing. It's kind of interesting how they are installed. The use a spring steel spreader to hold them apart and in proper place I would guess until the bonding agent dries. Anyway I could slide one of them back and forth easily.

We took his starter apart and use the best parts from the two to make him a starter that should last a while. His bushings were really worn and mine were like new. 

I have now installed a 12hp. Kohler engine in it's place. Sure nice to look under the hood and see that starter looking up at me. My Son is happy and so am I. The Kohler is in bad condition but should last until another can be found. Amazingly it starts extremely well. 

Edited by Cvans, April 18, 2015 - 10:27 PM.

• MH81, wvbuzzmaster and Sawdust have said thanks

#15 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 18, 2015 - 10:42 PM

I have always had good luck with old Kohlers. And it seems the worn out ones are the best runners, just have to keep the starter on a few seconds after it is running just to make sure it takes lol.

Ps: only do this on starter/generator tractors, as you can kill a regular starter this way.

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, April 18, 2015 - 10:43 PM.

• Cvans said thank you