Husqvarna Mower Rescue

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sawdust OFFLINE  

• Member No: 36549
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 2,827 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 04:05 PM

We were just talking the other day on the forum how some of today's generation don't have a mindset of repairing or even taking care of things they just throw them away & buy another. My son in law bless his heart he provides & takes good care of my daughter & grand kids but he tears up everything & doesn't think about things can be fixed.

Almost two years ago my wife went over there to watch the grand kids & seen his mower sitting out next to the trash. She knew he hasn't had this long at all just a little over a year...just passed the one year warranty. He told my wife he couldn't get it to start & the engine was locked up he couldn't pull the rope. Her knowing how I am she got it in the truck & brought it home. It sit in my garage a little over a year.

I got it out yesterday & sure enough I couldn't pull the rope. I looked underneath expecting the blade to look like a pretzel but it had grass everywhere. Once I cleaned that out the rope pulled. I noticed it had oil all over the top of the deck so I figured he changed the oil. I pulled the dip stick out & the level was half way up the stick far above the the full index mark. I found out these don't have a drain plug just tilt & pour it out the fill tube I guess. I used a fluid extractor & pulled almost 8 ounces of oil out to get it to the required level.

I took the carb bowl off to clean the old gas out but no gas just full of oil. I took the carb off & oil ran out of the intake. I removed the plug & muffler & again oil everywhere. I drained & cleaned everything. I shot some gas up into the intake to flush, it was like giving this thing an enema then oil would keep coming out of the plug hole & intake area.

I put everything back together & started to put gas in the tank & seen what looked like pieces of bread in the tank. It was getting late so I took the tank off & cleaned it out & sit overnight.

This morning I put the tank back on, put gas in the tank, watched for leaks & everything looked good. I pulled the rope one time & it started right up....couldn't believe it. It smoked for about ten minutes but that cleared up. It starts well, runs well, & the self propelled works good as well. I'm going to put it up on the bench & check the drive areas to see if they need any attention & give it a good bath.

I asked my SIL when I first got it if I fixed it does he want it back & he said no. I researched these & they are just as many bad reviews as they are good ones. He paid $499. for this in the middle of 2012, the DOM is January 2012. It's a Husqvarna HU 775L 775 EX Series 175CC B&S Made in the USA.

Guess who is claiming the new mower....my lovely wife she likes orange.

Husk1.jpg Husk2.jpg Husk3.jpg Husk4.jpg Husk5.jpg

Edited by Sawdust, March 30, 2015 - 09:29 AM.

• Bolens 1000, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 2 others have said thanks

#2 hamman OFFLINE  

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,528 Thanks
  • 2,552 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 05:12 PM

I have one of those in my garage right now. It belongs to a guy my wife worked with. He put a new blade on it and it wasn't the right one. He had to get a universal adapter to put the blade on with. He wants it tuned up and a new blade and adapter. The first thing I did was remove the air filter and as usual it was " blocked full". I pulled the dip stick and the oil was like tar. It will need a complete tune up and new oil and gas and air and gas filter to get it running. His chief complaint was that it surged. I can see why when the filter is plugged.  Thanks for sharing that.   A little common sense and maintenance goes a long way.                       Roger

• Alc and Sawdust have said thanks

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,419 Thanks
  • 4,888 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 08:27 PM

I bought one of those Noma All wheel steer mowers last year, guy said it bogged down ,the shut down and kicked out a big puff of smoke. He thought the motor locked up cause it wouldn't turn over, paid $50 for it. Got it home, started looking around, motor would shift back and forth a little and I heard a knocking noise. Got underneath, figured out the bearings when out of the electric PTO. Removed that, threw a battery and some gas in her, she started right up and runs good. Just gotta find find a clutch.

My dad also got 2 large wheeled push mowers for free from same people. The one needed a new plastic carb plate as it warped, the other one....get this, the front wheel bracket fell off. They were so mechanically Ignorant that they were just throwing them out and buying new ones. I could kind of see he carb issue one, but dad just replaced the nut and tightened wheel bracket on the other. I still use both push mowers 10 yrs later. 

• hamman and Sawdust have said thanks

#4 hamman OFFLINE  

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,528 Thanks
  • 2,552 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 08:36 PM

Again we see that " throw away society " rear it's ugly head. My uncle said that about 14 years ago when we were in the HVAC business. He said people really believed that their furnaces were only good for 4 or 5 years.  Sad really.                                                                                                                 Roger

• Alc and Sawdust have said thanks

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,461 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 28, 2015 - 08:51 PM

Everyone anymore just buys and then throws away. I get a couple really nice self propelled bagger push mowers from some of the neighbors because they say that the mowers are wore out and won't run. They all have more money the sense. I haven't had to buy a push mower for the back yard in over 10, so I just thank them and keep taking their junk off their hands. :smilewink:

• hamman, KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#6 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,586 Thanks
  • 3,739 posts

Posted March 30, 2015 - 08:06 AM

At 42, people my age at church look at me like I have two heads when I talk about my GT/small engine hobby.  I am amazed at the number of farmers who do not do their own repairs.  Obviously they have more money than I do...

As for the find, me thinks you did all right!

• Bolens 1000, Alc, hamman and 2 others have said thanks